Events/Trails LCDC8 Official Thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Any old pros that can comment on the relative difficulty of red/blue/green in a way that can help a new first timer decide what to try for?

I'm on 34s with a 2-1/2" lift, good armor (skids, sliders, front and rear bumpers) but not a highly experienced off-roader.

I've taken three I4WDTA instructor led courses (two different advanced), and know my way around recovery enough to be useful in an incident.

With the way we rate things out here, I am most comfortable with 3/5 trails, do an occasional 4/5, especially if I can follow the line of someone experienced, and avoid 5/5 (body damage expected) trails. I prefer terrain that is more technical than the typical fire roads. ...But am not a rock crawler by any stretch of the imagination.

I'll be in the middle of a 3+ week Western loop with my teenage son and will need the rig for activities for the balance of the trip and then the trek back east at the end, so I need to keep it on four wheels and minimize body damage.

Green trails are typically very easy and often could be done in crossovers and aggressive sedans. There's quite a jump between green and blue in ratings. Green trails are not really technical but may still require low-range. They can also still be dangerous and exposed.

Your build is more capable than you'd need for any of the trails we have on the agenda. Red Cone (which I've only done once) is a good example of a trail that demands some simple yet critical skills from the driver. You need to know how to use low range on the descent in conjunction with giving the truck gas instead of brake if you start to slide sideways a bit.

There's nothing we're running where body damage is expected, though that's certainly possible on any proper trail. I think we've had some minor scuffs on Red Cone in the past as well as some legit damage on Swan River in wet weather. Skid plates can take a beating on Birdseye Gulch. In 2017, I led a couple trucks down a terrible line after missing an alternate route and sustained a fair amount of plastic damage to my own truck and even more to a Toyota corporate truck that was following me — oops. Most the trails have areas of tight brush that may result in some pin-striping.

All of the trails we'll run are popular enough to have YouTube guides unless let you don't want to spoil the surprise.

Green trails are typically very easy and often could be done in crossovers and aggressive sedans. There's quite a jump between green and blue in ratings. Green trails are not really technical but may still require low-range. They can also still be dangerous and exposed.

Your build is more capable than you'd need for any of the trails we have on the agenda. Red Cone (which I've only done once) is a good example of a trail that demands some simple yet critical skills from the driver. You need to know how to use low range on the descent in conjunction with giving the truck gas instead of brake if you start to slide sideways a bit.

There's nothing we're running where body damage is expected, though that's certainly possible on any proper trail. I think we've had some minor scuffs on Red Cone in the past as well as some legit damage on Swan River in wet weather. Skid plates can take a beating on Birdseye Gulch. In 2017, I led a couple trucks down a terrible line after missing an alternate route and sustained a fair amount of plastic damage to my own truck and even more to a Toyota corporate truck that was following me — oops. Most the trails have areas of tight brush that may result in some pin-striping.

All of the trails we'll run are popular enough to have YouTube guides unless let you don't want to spoil the surprise.
Thank you. This is very helpful for a first timer.

Red Cone is my Favorite trail in the area. I am going to pass on it for this event as I will likely run it twice with the club since I am local. There are a couple of challenging spots, but nothing a good line or good spot can't overcome. To me that would be the must do trail if I hadn't been to the rea. Like I always do Black Bear in Ouray. Coming down from the top make sure you are in Low 1, you will still need your brakes as it is steep, but being in 1 is important

I use to take the Webster pass route out, but it has been getting narrower and narrower. Last year I saw a jeep tip over as they were not close enough to the wall. I now always take the road out to Montezuma which ends up at Keystone which is perfect for this event

This is the part that gives people trouble. It is about a third of the way up the mountain. Last time I did it is the line was way right, but it could have changed. It is just crawling over a set of rocks but ones that are easy to get hung up on. Worst case you get hung up and strapped up and over. The picture is my daughter on the trail

WP_20140831_12_23_52_Pro.jpg

Thank you, Ken!

Fingers crossed that I can get signed up for Red Cone.

So hard to say from a static picture, but this doesn't seem to be as challenging as some other 3/5 or 4/5 trails we see out east. Now the slopes/angles and dropoffs seem epic, completely different scale and potentially dangerous, if not treated with respect! I remember my first time down from pikes peak and the pucker factor!!! We never see anything that scale out here.

Last edited:
Thank you, Ken!

Fingers crossed that I can get signed up for Red Cone.

So hard to say from a static picture, but this doesn't seem to be as challenging as some other 3/5 or 4/5 trails we see out east. Now the slopes/angles and dropoffs seem epic, completely different scale and potentially dangerous, if not treated with respect! I remember my first time down from pikes peak and the pucker factor!!!
The top of Red Cone is breathtaking and has sheer drops and it is very steep down, just like you say,, handle with respect

You can see the top of the rockies in 360 degrees. The road to the left down below is Webster Pass and you have to be snug against the wall. Where the vehicles are sitting in the middle you can head North to Montezuma or go up Radical Hill
IMG_0028.JPG
IMG_0035.JPG
IMG_0036.JPG

I can hardly wait!!! Thank you!

BTW- this is a good book to have Amazon product ASIN 1934838268
if you went to Fort Collins you probably got the Northern Colorado edition. On the east side of Eisenhower tunnel are Argentine Pass, Bill Moore Lake and Kingston Peak. Three trails I recommend and run often if you get there early

Ordered.

I've only had one brief (and very enjoyable) trip to colorado, with a drive up pikes peak and another day spent exploring fire roads and trails on a motorcycle around Nederland. I fell in love, and I can see why people are drawn to the area!

BTW- this is a good book to have Amazon product ASIN 1934838268
if you went to Fort Collins you probably got the Northern Colorado edition. On the east side of Eisenhower tunnel are Argentine Pass, Bill Moore Lake and Kingston Peak. Three trails I recommend and run often if you get there early

Honestly, everyone attending should have a copy of this book. All the trails we run are in there. Most of our guided trail days wrap up in early afternoon and thus there's usually plenty of time to fit in a bit more exploration. Also, it's just a good idea to be familiar with the trails even if you aren't leading or gunning. We may have instances where we need to split groups or sometimes folks just have something come up and need to head back on their own or with a buddy. Maps and books are wonderful resources.

@CharlieS I did red cone my first LCDC in 2016. I had a 2" lift, 34s, and sliders but was otherwise stock. I took a rock to the butt in one spot but otherwise made it just fine - not other scrapes. @mcgaskins was a great trail leader, and @TonyP and @Markuson were great both at spotting and just putting up with a newbie. Obviously trails can change so no guarantees what it'll be like this year but I think you'll be fine. Not sure who the trail leaders will be but if I get to lead red cone you can join my group and I'll get you through it ;)

1656337781933.png

We will get there Saturday. Interested pre-running something with other 200's. Also, will be heading to Ouray after the event on Friday morning. Would like to meet up with others to run a few trails there. Heading back to KC Sunday.

We’re also on our way from Kansas City. We’ll be in Breck the 24th-31st. Wife and I are entertaining heading to Ouray after as well.

I just cancelled my slot for LCDC. I have Site 7, July 24-29, reserved at Prospects. (Update: Cancelled 28 Jun)

If I don't hear from anyone by later tonight I'll cancel it.

Last edited:
I just cancelled my slot for LCDC. I have Site 7, July 24-29, reserved at Prospects. If anyone wants it, let me know and we can sync my cancellation for you to try and get it.

Currently 27 Jun 3:45pm CDT

If I don't hear from anyone by later tonight I'll cancel it.
Ralph, don’t do it!

Ralph, don’t do it!
Sorry, done deal. Just got back from 5000mi R/T from San Antonio to Yellowstone, pre-flood, so a bit of accumulated expenses and too many miles for my wife. ;)

FWIW, if anyone wants to splurge, I have a 1BR reserved at the Marriott Mountain Valley Lodge from July 24-31. Pretty nice place. PM for details as it's not a hotel reservation.

We were thinking of staying one night in Vale just to experience the life style of the rich and famous…. Need pet friendly hotel (not camping). Anyone have feedback on the Evergreen Lodge at Vail or have any recommendations? We would be happy with a KOA cabin if that existed in the area but it doesn’t seem to.

I thought I read it somewhere, but can't find it now: when does the schedule go live to select trails?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom