Direct Fit Speakers...Again. What is everybody using? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Would be nice (here’s the but) BUT, I’ve got a gift card to crutchfield that I need to use.

Also I know next to nothing about speakers haha

Oh, and then there's Ohms and Watts and stuff!

How are you liking these? Any issues to install for a novice like myself? Thinking about picking these up.

How are you liking these? Any issues to install for a novice like myself? Thinking about picking these up.
Still sitting in the garage awaiting install.

Bought a cheap used set of the direct-fit pioneers as mentioned in the variety of threads here - finally went to tinker today, and found that my factory wiring was simply split apart. Guess I’m lazy and didn’t check first, but audio is not a priority. Repaired connections & factory speakers work great, so now I have backups. Interestingly, but not uncommon, I now have the interference “wine” that corresponds with RPM. I know the general causes of this with speakers, but does anyone have experience with the 80 to suggest what is most likely?

I have the upgraded stereo of the LX, and truthfully I kinda prefer the balance without the door speakers.

Also running a JVC Bluetooth touchscreen, installed by PO

Bought a cheap used set of the direct-fit pioneers as mentioned in the variety of threads here - finally went to tinker today, and found that my factory wiring was simply split apart. Guess I’m lazy and didn’t check first, but audio is not a priority. Repaired connections & factory speakers work great, so now I have backups. Interestingly, but not uncommon, I now have the interference “wine” that corresponds with RPM. I know the general causes of this with speakers, but does anyone have experience with the 80 to suggest what is most likely?

I have the upgraded stereo of the LX, and truthfully I kinda prefer the balance without the door speakers.

Also running a JVC Bluetooth touchscreen, installed by PO
wait you don't have the door speakers connected? I've had the alternator whine when I used the wiring harness that kept the factory amp. I was able to get rid of that just recently after removing the two gray harnesses connected to the amp which is located behind the right tweeter next to the glove compartment.

I connected my new head unit to those two gray connectors using a different wiring harness. So no more alternator whine but only the door speakers work now. They sound pretty good but I'm looking to installing a separate subwoofer eventually.

Here's the thread that helped me: Post in thread '1997 LX450 Stereo /Power antenna /Amp bypass' 1997 LX450 Stereo /Power antenna /Amp bypass - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/1997-lx450-stereo-power-antenna-amp-bypass.838474/post-14443853

They’re connected now, and now I have the whine, which I didn’t before. Everything is factory other than my head unit, as mentioned, so I’m assuming that’s what’s picking up the interference. I was just saying that I kinda like the overall sound better when the door speakers weren’t working (and I did adjust the equalizer/etc after fixing them). I’ll probably still fix the whine, but for now I’m going to leave the doors unplugged.

They’re connected now, and now I have the whine, which I didn’t before. Everything is factory other than my head unit, as mentioned, so I’m assuming that’s what’s picking up the interference. I was just saying that I kinda like the overall sound better when the door speakers weren’t working (and I did adjust the equalizer/etc after fixing them). I’ll probably still fix the whine, but for now I’m going to leave the doors unplugged.

right the cause of the alternator whine is due to the amp not being grounded to the same chassis as the head unit. If you find an electric wiring diagram for the lx 450, let me know. I only have the one for 96 land cruiser which isn't the same wiring.

Using image dynamics 6.5 components up front and just the kids in the rear doors supplemented with a pioneer 10” sub enclosure…all powered from a tiny little sound stream nano D class amp…
I did have to enlarger to 6.5 opening a tad to a comodate..but they do clear the windows inside the door…

Using image dynamics 6.5 components up front and just the kids in the rear doors supplemented with a pioneer 10” sub enclosure…all powered from a tiny little sound stream nano D class amp…
I did have to enlarger to 6.5 opening a tad to a comodate..but they do clear the windows inside the door…
Hi Fosters,

Which ID speakers did you use? Any pictures?
nvm, found your pictures and model of speakers in another thread..

Thanks,
Danny

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom