Any Vise Collectors Here? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I mean, come on, who would paint a beauty like that...? Oil finish, or clear lacquer or... dare I say it... some blueing ....!

I know right? I’m kinda infatuated with the oiled, bare iron look, so it’ll probably be a combination of Fluid Film and Boiled Linseed Oil for now. Maybe down the road I might play around with some of that Sculpt Nouveau Black Oil that several of the vice guys on IG are using.
Next thing to address on this one will be the handle and yoke.

@bhsdriller Most of the rotating vises are Asian imports (SawyerTool Works being the outlier) That being said, they are useful tools just not "investment grade" I'd buy one very local for 35-40 that looked right.

@RUSH55 That Parker turned out NICE! Love the slide treatment.

@e9999 I've cold blued a couple of my Prentisses but only the non cast elements (slide jaws handle) Cool little process that's easy and looks great too.

I'm slacking. I still haven't made any progress on the "Rapid" Wilton, I haven't touched the fixed base Columbian except to shuffle it around. I've been on a push to get some things out of my way though: 2 Mercury 150 hp outboards and associated parts both left my care last weekend. A pair of Honda Prelude seats left also last weekend. A boat fuel tank left yesterday along with an anchor. Today, I piled some random construction leftovers into the 80 and brought them to a re-use type place.

I saw this Studebaker vise at one place. The bar was missing from the end of the main screw. They had it priced at $225.
IMG_8618.jpg
IMG_8617.jpg

Kind of interesting?
Then, I ended up with a whole other mess of a project:
67616252080__E468073D-2FBF-4F63-9A3B-F02E3F42AE66.jpg

It definitely has some issues, but I haggled, and will try and resurrect it.
Oh, There was also a pretty big Erie pipe vise at one shop. It was a bench mount (3 holes) model, and probably 24" tall at top of main screw. It was pretty rusty, but intact and seemed cheap. Should I have grabbed it?

never ask if you should have grabbed it... whatever it is, we'll say YES, and then you have to go back.... :)

@MrMikeyG That stencil machine is AMAZING!!! You really found a gem there. The key to remember is you can't save them all (at once). Focus is fun!

That Studebaker vise is a hack job. It was originally a hydraulic vise that someone reworked with a screw. A complete Studebaker vise is pretty rare and they fetch pretty good money.

@TomH So, the Studebaker should look like this other picture? Interesting.
1654524201464.png

@TomH So, the Studebaker should look like this other picture? Interesting.

Yes, but that one still isn't complete. It needs a set of foot pedals. There's a video on youtube of a working version. Imagine trying to use the one in your picture. You'd need someone to crank the screw while you held something in the jaws.

I stumbled on one a few years ago, wasn't sure what it was at the time but seemed like something I needed.

The Studebaker vise is not made by the Studebaker car company.

IMG_5473.JPG

IMG_5469.JPG

Last edited:
This is a handy little resource. Vise spreadsheet!

Lots of good info here.

700 lbs...!

Got this for birthday from wife. Posted at Tools and Fabrication forum root directory then found this thread and added here for posterity.
Thanks @FARMANN33 for the above spreadsheet.

20220618_222759.jpg
20220618_222747.jpg
20220618_233735.jpg

Last edited:
@Dunbar Very clean old 106! Reed went to the 4 hole design in the mid 20s so yours is easily over a 100 years old! A quality 6" vise is all 99% of people will ever need. A "lifetime" tool you can really be proud of!

@Kofoed Athols are absolute TANKS! So beefy!!! What size? Yours?

@Dunbar Very clean old 106! Reed went to the 4 hole design in the mid 20s so yours is easily over a 100 years old! A quality 6" vise is all 99% of people will ever need. A "lifetime" tool you can really be proud of!

@Kofoed Athols are absolute TANKS! So beefy!!! What size? Yours?
Athol, y
es, a typo in my post. Jaws 8 inches. People talk about using a cheater bar on a wrench. LEt me tell you what I've done with that thing!! About 28 inches from end to end
4.jpg

@Kofoed Oh, I am familiar. Just sold my 618 a week ago.

3E27C957-F4B2-4950-93FE-86BB7685CD8C.jpeg

F90888B3-D8B7-4E05-9074-32EBC29D5F66.jpeg

13B7E4DB-CF61-46C8-87DF-12EA2835CB18.jpeg

Reason #6 Why I LOVE Columbian vises!!!

Found this old workhorse for cheap enough. Columbian 506 that has been beat on for years. There is a 3/16” depression in the face of the dynamic but it is not cracked or broken at all! The ductile iron construction lends itself to years of worry free abuse. Going to disassemble and strip it and it will be my new user.

363442D9-459D-4FDC-BE34-0A0CD66CCABD.jpeg

E805A51B-CEDA-43E3-A862-C068AAC83723.jpeg

B8F6381B-F91A-4CCC-9D3E-CFB82BB3EAB4.jpeg

Must be missing something, but doesn't seem to me that the depression you show with the square is from beating. Wrong place to hammer, and the paint is still there.

@e9999 Another explanation would be that it was made that way. Being hollow, it could have shrunk during the cooling of the metal. To your point, that may be the more likely cause.

Interesting that these jaws are hollow. Did not expect that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom