Transmission Crossmember Question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

EC5E4341-155A-444C-B12A-CAA7EE245322.jpeg

2E5F5080-6E59-4F77-ACAB-56BAEE5A4D6A.jpeg

EE91E32D-E231-41FB-8576-1C6F7B5A0D27.jpeg

Incredibly helpful, thank you so much. I managed to find the correct crossmember and I'm well on my way. I still owe this thread some relevant pictures of existing and new crossmember. I'll post that this evening.

I see you have bolts going into the frame spacing the crossmember down with fender washers. Is this the way the crossmember is mounted from the factory? I made the mistake of looking down the rabbit hole of switching to a H55F in my 89 FJ62. Now I seem to be slipping in even though my A440F is fine with a low miles spare. Lastest pieces I acquired were the rear driveshaft, pedal bucket, crossmember and isolator. The FJ60 the crossmember is off of was heading to salvage that day. Body was still on frame and wasn't set up to grind the brackets off which were welded not riveted to the frame. Didn't pay attention to how sat compared to the bottom of the frame.

I pretty much just mounted the crossmember to the new 4 spd. I then placed a jack under the crossmember and raised the trans and transfer case until the crossmember met the frame. It will not be level front to back. The front touched uniformly on both sides though. From there I took the pieces of pre-drilled angle iron and set them atop the crossmember and marked where to drill the frame and where to drill the holes to mount to the crossmember.
I then drilled and sleeved the frame. (Put a sleeve through the hole where the bolt goes through.
The original welded mounts are still in place about 18 inches back from the new mounts. They are welded to the frame and that's where they are staying. One day I may get my new mounts welded in but I will pretty them up first.

I pretty much just mounted the crossmember to the new 4 spd. I then placed a jack under the crossmember and raised the trans and transfer case until the crossmember met the frame. It will not be level front to back. The front touched uniformly on both sides though. From there I took the pieces of pre-drilled angle iron and set them atop the crossmember and marked where to drill the frame and where to drill the holes to mount to the crossmember.
I then drilled and sleeved the frame. (Put a sleeve through the hole where the bolt goes through.
The original welded mounts are still in place about 18 inches back from the new mounts. They are welded to the frame and that's where they are staying. One day I may get my new mounts welded in but I will pretty them up first.

Did you use a crossmember from a 4/85-7/87 US market FJ60 or the one from the FJ62? Not sure I understand why the crossmember wouldn't fit flush up against the frame. The crossmember I just bought is at another location along with a spare FJ62 crossmember. The FJ62 is at my current location.

Yes I did use the crossmember from an 87 FJ60. It will fit flush until you bolt it to your transmission. It is not in the same position as it was in the FJ62. It is shaped slightly different. Being a little more forward it looks like there is a slight lift thereby the crossmember will not sit flush, nearly flush but not quite. If it was mounted in it's original position it would probably mount flush. Doesn't seem to be a problem. I may be the only this happened to, but I think I read @Paul DiNapoli had the same issue. That's what I mean by letting the transmission find it's location. Once you bolt the crossmember to the transmission you will only be able to jack it up so far before it touches the frame. I bet it will not touch all 4 sides of the crossmember equally or even at all. But there you are, so get to drilling, shiming, bolting and welding and soon you will have it proudly mounted in the truck.

And, finally, my contribution. Here are two pics of the late-80's (3F Bell-housing FJ60) vs stock FJ62 crossmembers. The longer is the FJ62:

CM-001.jpg
CM-002.jpg

Yep, clean it up and bolt it on after you install the transmission. Just fyi, I would bolt the trans mount onto the bottom of the transmission to install. install the crossmember after the trans is secure.

Yep, clean it up and bolt it on after you install the transmission. Just fyi, I would bolt the trans mount onto the bottom of the transmission to install. install the crossmember after the trans is secure.
Late to this post but wondering if anybody has a fj62 cross member... I have the shorter late fj60 crossmember as it is about 4-5 inches short on one side... ls/4l60e swap

Late to this post but wondering if anybody has a fj62 cross member... I have the shorter late fj60 crossmember as it is about 4-5 inches short on one side... ls/4l60e swap

I do and would be happy to trade you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom