Help Identifying Bolt - Transfer Case Output Yoke to Driveshaft U-Joint (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The drum nut socket should be 29mm pre74 but it would be a castle nut.
Yours look like post 75 and should be 30 or 32mm (not sure but a size up than before).

I agree with Mark that your yolk is pre 74.
Driveline bolts, nuts and studs are 10mm before 74, and 11mm after... You may have a mismatch here!!!
Entreaxe between the bolts would be different also, that may be why they removed a stud...

Otherwise bolt, lock washer (yes don't forget them) and nuts for driveline are available at Toyota for ~1$ a piece, for pre and post 74.
Studs I don't know.

Last edited:
Why is it that every auto forum dude with over 1k posts always has to be snarky? It's so much easier to just answer questions without the sass.
Why is it that neophytes with less than 50 posts act like snowflakes, challenging the advice from "auto forum dudes" who have been there, done that, and then whine and have a hissy fit when their ignorance is challenged.

@middlecalf is right, go for it and report back.

Why is it that neophytes with less than 50 posts act like snowflakes, challenging the advice from "auto forum dudes" who have been there, done that, and then whine and have a hissy fit when their ignorance is challenged.

@middlecalf is right, go for it and report back.
Bro...just asking you to chill. My logic was sound, based on the part diagrams I saw...I asked a question to confirm. It's alright to answer said question without the sass laden ego trip. Snowflake...classic.

I’m poking back in, not for the :popcorn: , but because there is an interesting anomaly here.

The first pic clearly shows a 10x1.25 pitch stud. But the larger pic shows a split transfer case. Since the 11mmx 1.0 studs started in ‘74, but the split case did not start until ‘81, how can there be a split case parking brake drum with 10mm studs…that were superseded seven years earlier???

Now something in the back of my mind is saying that maybe the split case made an appearance in some other market a year or two earlier. But not seven.

And if by some fluke the 10mm studs fit in the 11 brake drum holes, the flange pattern would still be very different.

So at the end of the ‘day‘, I may learn something new.😉

The shaft is not where the seal is made in the speedo housing. The pic you posted shows the end of that shaft just sticking out of the housing. The seal is just behind the edge of the backing plate.
Search for FSM in the title of the classifieds. There is a link to a site with pdf copies.
Yeah, I see that little recess where it sits in there. I wasn't sure if the machined, smooth, shaft coming from the transfer case protruded through that ring a bit to make the seal or if it was the drum housing shaft that stuck in there to create the seal. It seems the latter is the case...

Thanks for the tip. I found a 75 FSM and will start from there. I'm guessing I might need a few different years of manuals since the SA trucks seem to have a mix of pre and post 1980 USA market components. My split transfer case is dated to 1982 but, as others have pointed out, some of the driveline components are older (either by the old SA quick flip or, it seems, just by some legacy components that entered SA trucks from the factory). The SOR diagrams say the speedo housing (rear retainer) changed in 1980, but mine looks like the pre-1980. Hard to tell for sure since the diagrams don't include the parking brake assembly and the angles are different. I am going to call SOR today to make sure I order the right seal size.

Does anyone know if the post 1980 switch FJ40s or 45s had this speedo housing? Or does this look like the older, <1980 unit.
IMG_9895 2.JPG

I’m poking back in, not for the :popcorn: , but because there is an interesting anomaly here.

The first pic clearly shows a 10x1.25 pitch stud. But the larger pic shows a split transfer case. Since the 11mmx 1.0 studs started in ‘74, but the split case did not start until ‘81, how can there be a split case parking brake drum with 10mm studs…that were superseded seven years earlier???

Now something in the back of my mind is saying that maybe the split case made an appearance in some other market a year or two earlier. But not seven.

And if by some fluke the 10mm studs fit in the 11 brake drum holes, the flange pattern would still be very different.

Now you understand my confusion...

Ok...here's my theory. Let me know if you have some info I don't.
1. Split transfer case from 1982 (stamped SN)
2. Speedo housing/rear retainer from pre-1980 (possibly. I still can't tell if the speedo housing actually changed mid 1980)
3. Parking brake drum backing plate from pre-1980 (SOR says that this part was the same from 1963-1980)
4. Parking brake drum from pre-1974 (SOR shows a change in this part from 1974-1980 which matches up with your bolt change comment)
5. Number 4 would also explain my earlier U-Joints

Going by the SOR parts diagrams, the backing plate did not change for 1974, but the drum (and bolts) did. The thing I am still uncertain about is the year of my speedo housing.

You might find this interesting...I found this forum post. This seems to be the referencing the same configuration as my truck (split transfer case, with provision for parking brake drum). My rear retainer looks identical to the NLA part that this gentleman was trying to track down: 36132-60030

The studs are 11mm from my drum, as well. I spoke to SOR and I think we've got all the correct things on order. I'm still not sure why my U-Joints are the way they are, but the man I spoke to at SOR said he's seen SA vehicles sent to the country without driveshafts, rear axles, etc., and he's also seen those older style U-Joints on those trucks in later model years.

Paging Georg @orangefj45 as he's probably seen more of these combinations than most.

He's also a Mud vendor and can provide parts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom