TWT -- The Wrenching Thread (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

In my days with Motorola, we would repair circuit boards down to the component. We had a bunch of Panavise tools to do hold things while soldering or wiring... very similar concept

Finally got around to doing something about the shower in my compressed air line (point of use desiccant):
1656088860795.png

This isn't a long term solution, I still have to build a copper line trap, and install my dryer, but this gets a lot of the water out of the line at my bead blast cabinet (until it becomes my vapor blast cabinet).

The desiccant dries in less than two minutes in the microwave when it becomes saturated (which took much longer than I expected).

Last edited:
In my days with Motorola, we would repair circuit boards down to the component. We had a bunch of Panavise tools to do hold things while soldering or wiring... very similar concept

Why have I never heard of them before? Now I have something else to spend money on!

Not really wrenching but thought I would share a real cheap solution I found to protect my seats.

I recovered my front seats on my 80 ( used the LSEAT leather) and hate when I am dirty, dusty or sweaty because I don’t want to ruin the new leather.

I was looking for some tough canvas covers like I got for my f250 from Duluth trading company which I highly recommend.

In my search I found these fake leather covers on Amazon that looked like they would work.
For $35 you can’t go wrong and they look pretty good for what they are.

These are the covers. They just slip on. Takes like 2 minutes to slip them on.
A9F5169B-69DE-4716-B183-E5C80DCF6445.jpeg

Front seats without the covers.
32FEF93F-1F10-407E-A1D3-2B3AAE852521.jpeg

Here is the link if anybody is interested.

FH-PU001102 PU Leather Car Front Bucket Seat Covers Solid Tan color https://a.co/d/4iu4AYT

So if any of you were thinking about purchasing and installing a sniper 2300 efi system in your carb rig.

Do it!!

The efi took some troubleshooting to get it going right but it now it is running amazing.

The problem I was having was not the efi system. Garret came by yesterday and found the fuel line connection at the tank just loose enough that it was sucking in air. This was leading to the way not being able to get enough fuel and or too much air and kept messing it and not running correctly when idling.

We ran the truck yesterday and it drove perfect.

I drove it today and the performance is ridiculous. I have 4:88 gears with 35s on the truck and the little 22r does not care. It doesn’t stumble or run out power at any point. The second you press the gas pedal it delivers with zero issue.
And the best part is that it seems to keep running better and better the more I run it.

I can’t express how happy I am and so glad that I went against my instinct and bought and installed the sniper.

So if any of you were thinking about purchasing and installing a sniper 2300 efi system in your carb rig.

Do it!!

The efi took some troubleshooting to get it going right but it now it is running amazing.

The problem I was having was not the efi system. Garret came by yesterday and found the fuel line connection at the tank just loose enough that it was sucking in air. This was leading to the way not being able to get enough fuel and or too much air and kept messing it and not running correctly when idling.

We ran the truck yesterday and it drove perfect.

I drove it today and the performance is ridiculous. I have 4:88 gears with 35s on the truck and the little 22r does not care. It doesn’t stumble or run out power at any point. The second you press the gas pedal it delivers with zero issue.
And the best part is that it seems to keep running better and better the more I run it.

I can’t express how happy I am and so glad that I went against my instinct and bought and installed the sniper.
Del, would you put one on a 40, knowing what you know now?

I honestly don’t plan on ever running a carburetor ever again.
That is how good this thing is running.
Night and day performance.

And overall it was a pretty simple install.

The only issues I had was the stupid fuel line that I thought was tight enough but was obviously not.

I would venture to say that the Sniper system is better than the OEM system that turned the 22R into the 22RE. I am basing this on the advances in technology. Both mix air and fuel at the intake as opposed to multi port. I believe that the Sniper is also a learning system.

"Affordable" Fuel Injection's idea of "affordable" isn't exactly mine...o_O
1656501664478.png

...this just gets better and better
1656501853062.png

I mean, it's nice that they included all this
1656501914553.png

I especially like the "many miles of low maintenance fuel injection operation" :rofl:

so the lowest cost "options" (which are required, apparently) appears to be
1656502195400.png

I need to go home and rethink my life...

I'd like to get into the modern age, but I'm afraid my balance sheet is deficient at the moment...
1656502334286.png

I'd like to get into the modern age, but I'm afraid my balance sheet is deficient at the moment...
View attachment 3045690
That is the price of the efi kit.

You will still have to budget possible costs for

Exhaust modification ( 02 sensor)
Air intake ( air filter)
Gaskets
Fuel line
Miscellaneous fuel line fittings
Spark plugs
Spark plug wires
Manual fuel pump plates plus gasket
Plugs for other sensors for your engine

I think I was around $2500 for my install
But I replaced my exhaust manifold with headers and had to add about 2 feet of exhaust for my 02 sensor
Also trial and errored what would work for an intake air filter.
Instead of figuring out what block off plugs and plates I needed for the 22r I just bought a “kit” which was more expensive but more convenient.

To me it was worth it. Although at the time I had my doubts.

I'm sure either is a great system. I just wish I had a completed truck to put it on...

You can also look at diyautotune.com
Garrett is running a microsquirt on his 22re. If you needed more options/control you could use a megasquirt.

You can also look at diyautotune.com
Garrett is running a microsquirt on his 22re. If you needed more options/control you could use a megasquirt.
I think you can use MicroSquirt on the 22R. I ran the MSII on my 2FE, but the MicroSquirt is dirt cheap. I'm sure there's a lot more tuning and config help out there for the 22R than there was for the 2F.

Not really wrenching but thought I would share a real cheap solution I found to protect my seats.

I recovered my front seats on my 80 ( used the LSEAT leather) and hate when I am dirty, dusty or sweaty because I don’t want to ruin the new leather.

I was looking for some tough canvas covers like I got for my f250 from Duluth trading company which I highly recommend.

In my search I found these fake leather covers on Amazon that looked like they would work.
For $35 you can’t go wrong and they look pretty good for what they are.

These are the covers. They just slip on. Takes like 2 minutes to slip them on.
View attachment 3042398

Front seats without the covers.
View attachment 3042399

Here is the link if anybody is interested.

FH-PU001102 PU Leather Car Front Bucket Seat Covers Solid Tan color https://a.co/d/4iu4AYT
Just bought a pair for Charlie's 80. He loves them. Thanks Del.

My “wrenching” today was getting an AC unit installed in my motorcycle trailer that I sleep in at events. This is a 10k BTU AC/heat/dry/fan unit and is definitely overkill for my 6x12 trailer but it was a great deal and will freeze me out of it if needed lol.

Need to finish sealing the bottom and then create a block off plate of some kind to seal off the holes when not in use.

Next project is finally insulating the trailer, reskinning the inside, and getting some shelves/storage installed in the nose of the trailer around the unit. I started this project by ripping the entire trailer apart in 2021 and rewiring it to a 7-pin trailer plug. A week later I tore my ACL and meniscus and so the trailer got slapped back together and haven't had time to finish it properly yet.

64C6FBB7-43EA-4A1C-A7EB-385D363DCA15.jpeg

20836BB4-601C-47AF-A7C8-B405FFB07109.jpeg

Last edited:
Helping a friend tear down his ferd to replace the head gaskets, among other things. #6.ohlife

PXL_20220710_185051036.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom