I finally get the shop I have wanted for too long (6 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

And my mimosas tree is almost in full bloom.

2E868EDB-423B-405F-8DC9-AE2A0980E389.jpeg

Is there any concern about that metal sweating?

Just curious. It seems like it could on particular circumstances.

Not really Dan. There is a moisture barrier just under the roof and then 6” of insulation. But just to be sure, I have lapped the metal to allow any condensation to run down each sheet and then the last sheet actually hangs over the top of the wall insulation to drain into the eaves. There is also an air gap at the top between the two sides of the ceiling.
Is there any concern about that metal sweating?

Just curious. It seems like it could on particular circumstances.

Shop looks great but cut that damn mimosa down and plant a native Alabama tree.
I intentionally transplanted that tree from the forest near my house and it controlled the location of my shop. So it won’t be coming down anytime soon. I grew up in this state seeing mimosas everywhere. I didn’t know it wasn’t a native tree, whatever difference that makes.

They aren't particularly long-lived and that one is at peak height. Not sure how long it's been in the ground but they typically decline after about 10 years. I don't recall seeing them very much growing up in central Alabama but I am noticing quite a few around Auburn. Maybe they were more prevalent in the north end of the state?

They aren't particularly long-lived and that one is at peak height. Not sure how long it's been in the ground but they typically decline after about 10 years. I don't recall seeing them very much growing up in central Alabama but I am noticing quite a few around Auburn. Maybe they were more prevalent in the north end of the state?
Plenty of them in Southwest Georgia. 😊

And Kudzu. :p
It was understanding that these Mimosa trees were non-native invasive damaging species similar to Kudzu.

Yesterday on the drive to Birmingham and back, I noticed areas along I20 where they appeared to be on the verge of choking out the other trees.

This got me thinking about ag extension service. On the farm in Illinois, there was a continual problem with Canadian thistles. Years before, the seed stock available for hay was also contaminated with Canadian thistle seeds. Once introduced, they required recurring action to control/eradicate. The local farm extension service would monitor the region looking for Canadian thistles. If on public land/right-a-ways, the associated government agency was required to act. If they were found on private property, the land owner was informed and given time to take action. If no action or inadequate action was taken, then steep fines would follow until the thistle population was brought into check.

Odd that the ag extension services in this region don't have similar objectives and horse power for action.

[back to shop content] Great shop. I have been watching your progress intently. Always have hope for changes to improve my shop and your efforts are a great resource.

Another step forward today. I completed another bay of the ceiling and the first ceiling fan is up and operational. I also hoisted some colors today.

C2B83214-7D6F-413D-BE79-4ABD3BFA71A1.jpeg

Did we get the brand and a review of the ceiling fan? Or did I miss it?
HH you didn't miss it, I'm delinquent in posting the mentioned data. The fan is an 84" Fencham unit, model# YG491A-NI purchased from Home Depot. I am very pleased with the performance of the unit thus far. It has a remote with variable speed settings and 3 timer options. You can set it to run for 2, 4 or 8 hours. You can also let it run continuously, which is how I'm currently running it. It is whisper quite and does not wobble. The blades are made of aluminum. During the almost 2 weeks it has been installed we have had multiple days (almost every day) in the mid to upper 90's, with one 99* day. The temperature inside has not gone over 80* during the day and has gotten as low as 72* overnight. With just one unit cooling approximately 4000 sqft, I am looking forward to installing the second one soon. I don't know yet what the impact to my electric bill is going to be. If there is any aspect I haven't covered, don't hesitate to request more information.

That model is showing here for three bills. That is not bad considering the Bigass brand fans (and light fixtures) are ridiculously priced.
Nice.

I think if/when I do ceiling fans I may tuck them up close to the bottom of my trusses by putting the mount board across the top of the bottom board of the truss. (I do not plan on putting in a ceiling.)

I had to order that fan, as they did not stock it in the store. It only took about 3 days for them to arrive. I ordered it through the Pro-desk along with my insulation. After there discounts and my military discount the pair cost me 250.00.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom