Steering knuckle stud failure. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

what about the nut huggers as a solution?
Just my opinion, I work in aviation where we use multiple types of safeties, I have only seen that style on low torque small nuts and bolts, to me that is more of a feel good that you did something. The best thing I think you can has already been said make sure stuff is torqued and tight. Just my thought

what about the nut huggers as a solution?
As much as I love me some Joey, those don't allow you to check the torque easily, so if the bolt stretches you won't know it until you lose a knuckle. This is supposition on my part; I don't know if anyone has ever had a knuckle stud failure while sporting nut huggers. I have the same misgivings about Loc-Tite- just because it can't spin doesn't mean it can't get loose, and you can't check the torque on a fastener with Loc-Tite on it.

I have been on the trail twice and seen this happen on the passenger side after an impact with a rock just off the edge of the trail, once Matt Farr on the Kokopelli trail and the second last year at Windrock during the 70 Series Meet and Greet with my 15 year old son behind the wheel of my 80. Fortunately both times we had all necessary spares and plenty of talent on the trail to get back underway quickly and completed the rides.

Over the years, I had gotten into the habit into checking mine prior to each trip (including this trip) and in hindsight the passenger side was needing retorqued more frequently, I replaced the knuckle and studs during the subsequent rebuild.

Check torque frequently
Carry Spares
Replace when stretched

75CAC24A-B286-4339-BD3F-B572EFB49BD0.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom