Builds DRANGED's GX470 build/ownership thread (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Well heeellooooo there, 4-days later!!!!! 😎 🤙

1645212160965.png
1645212171743.png

@mtwilly87 there are two 1" pressed steel (90 deg, but not angle iron) plates shoring up the ends which are fitted to the platform via my unistrut camnut discovery. Then the handles are fitted with turnbuckles to the platform on RR eye hooks. I too thought about drilling holes and fitting with camnuts to the platform slots, but didn't want to compromise the dust seal.... But hard mounting that way would allow easier entry access. As this is I have to undo everything to get in as the handles are fitted to the top of the box clamshell, which is what makes fitting handles down good. double edged sword for sure...

Its hard to see the pressed plate. It's also clearanced so the bolt which holds it to the platform is an eye hook too, that's where the cam strap is fitted to hold the box down as backup the turnbuckles.

View attachment 2910148
View attachment 2910149
Where did you source the Rhino-Rack backbone? Can't find them stateside.

Where did you source the Rhino-Rack backbone? Can't find them stateside.
@tmdoll77
I got it From Rhino Rack who also installed it at their US warehouse in Colorado, back in 2019.
I worked directly with them for months, and others have also been able to get them them Stateside. They say rhino distributors CAN get them via the RR warehouse in Aurora., CO.
RTPB2 is the PN for it... Your RR distributor should call RR in Colorado directly (maybe ask for Rob ). I'm still a bit miffed they've never updated their website to show that available for the 470, as RR USA has the backbone for the GX 460 and they told me they'd stocked a bunch of RTPB2 for the GX 470. Of course this was 3 years ago... :-/

Here's an Aussie site (part of how I fueled my argument that the backbone for 120 would fit the 470).

Let me know what you find out.

Last edited:
@tmdoll77
I got it From Rhino Rack who also installed it at their US warehouse in Colorado, back in 2019.
I worked directly with them for months, and others have also been able to get them them Stateside. They say rhino distributors CAN get them via the RR warehouse in Aurora., CO.
RTPB2 is the PN for it... Your RR distributor should call RR in Colorado directly (maybe ask for Rob Gonzales). I'm still a bit miffed they've never updated their website to show that available for the 470, as RR USA has the backbone for the GX 460 and they told me they'd stocked a bunch of RTPB2 for the GX 470. Of course this was 3 years ago... :-/

Here's an Aussie site (part of how I fueled my argument that the backbone for 120 would fit the 470).

The backbone mounting system is so cool. I have toyed with the idea of changing mine out, but not very cost effective. It wasn’t available when I also got mine installed in Aurora warehouse circa 2016.

ED80037B-D5C7-4089-B54B-213F2205E4A7.png

@tmdoll77
RTPB2 is the PN for it... Your RR distributor should call RR in Colorado directly (maybe ask for Rob ). I'm still a bit miffed they've never updated their website to show that available for the 470, as RR USA has the backbone for the GX 460 and they told me they'd stocked a bunch of RTPB2 for the GX 470. Of course this was 3 years ago... :-/

I will. I lived in Denver during grad school, still have my house there. I could have just swung by Aurora. Taking the gx to Abu Dhabi this summer for a couple years, I think I'll be able to find one there...or some other Prado 120 goodies.

Dice thrown, trigger pulled.
View attachment 2863678
I pinged DT and Rogue off-road today, DT says, "This part number has been added to our production list and is currently being made, your order is set to ship 6/03-6/17!"

RAD! Thanks team DT, I'm psyched!!

Fairly shortly after getting the RR pioneer platform and an initial set of their eye bolt kit for securing dunnage, I began modding to make my own tie downs for le$$.

first round using zinc eyes (I think I welded one shut too for giggles) and a slot nut
1653146655482.png

Version 2.0 used a 3/8 forged eye, trimmed down with a unistrut camming nut (which is a pretty good replica of their other eye bolt kit.
1653147510289.png

And now, using a scrap piece of 3/8" x 5/8" bar stock (very close to Rhino's metric 9mm x 19mm bar), cut, ground, drilled (11/32) and tapped for M10, I've created 6 more with M10 galvi eyes (came in 3 packs)! Now to get the washers and I'll be golden!
1653145641432.png

1653248203098.png

$8.69 in washers then squirted the bar stock black.
GTG ... Hmm, i guess I could squirt the eyes to match too 🤔

Relentless pursuit of perfection.

Last edited:
Awe heck yeah!!! 🤘😈🤘
Fulfilment of trigger pulling mid-December...
Screenshot_20220526-180013~4.png

Delivered today!!!

PXL_20220531_224236081.jpg
PXL_20220602_032035669.jpg

Last edited:
Light at the end of the tunnel!

I'm sure you'll be thrilled not to have to pull a header again for some time when this job is over.

Light at the end of the tunnel!

I'm sure you'll be thrilled not to have to pull a header again for some time when this job is over.
Yeah my weld job is starting to fail and a slight tic tic is back....
I'll order some engine mounts and V-bands and try to get on my buddy's schedule .... 🤞

V-bands are the way to go!

While you're doing your motor mounts you might want to look at replacing your transmission mount too.

That way your complete motor suspension system is fresh.

Needed inner tie rod ends and e-brake kit (apparently left springs were toast).
snappy brakes with new (adaptive ones) rotors! New meats smell great! Ready for the next 70K miles (and beyond)!! ;)

PXL_20220624_210933217.jpg

Last edited:
Adaptive rotors? What do they do?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom