2014 - Radiator crack (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello everyone! I realize this is a fairly well covered topic, but wanted to just post a photo of my radiator to get some feedback. Has the hairline crack in the top of the radiator. No signs of leaking yet. Planning to drive about 500 miles to San Diego next month, and then going to AZ (hot!). My plan is to replace radiator myself once I get to AZ with my dads help. I do not have time to do it before I leave (military xfer and extremely busy getting house cleaned up and packed). I received quotes ranging from 1200-1500, which seems high but then again this is CA. So anyone have a magic 8 ball that says I’ll be ok to make it to AZ? Thanks for reading!

5B38EA03-ED9B-44DC-85D0-441577C0252E.jpeg

8479B885-A752-42C3-A02E-848A67B712FA.jpeg

34CC4996-CD45-4EBF-B593-4F7382A0FA1D.jpeg

Not 100% sure this is a long time fix but it may get you to Az. JB WELD Water Weld.

I have a very, very, extremely small hole on the top of my 60 brass radiator. Put a small dab over the hole several weeks ago. Went wheeling this past week end in triple digit temps. Holding so far.

FF92B80A-9408-406D-A9EA-AFB7A0D658BC.png

Used JB weld plastic epoxy on my 14. Used some gritty sandpaper to score the surface prior to application. Not pretty but doesn’t appear to be going anywhere. Planning on driving 2k mile road trip in July without hesitation

Thanks for replies. I was considering the JB Weld, but wasn’t sure if it’d be effective. Was yours leaking prior to using JB, or was there just a crack like mine?

Had a similar crack. Scuffed and epoxied a couple years ago now. I put in a lot of epoxy to try to take all the stress out of the area. No rupture yet. Probably been 15000 miles.

It is hard to say when it will go, seems some go unexpectedly while others can go a long time. I had the hairline crack similar size to yours for a few years and went on a 2000 mile round trip from PNW to SoCal and back last year. I checked it at every gas stop and it didn’t move at all (this was in December so temps were way different than your expectations). I eventually replaced the radiator after that trip, but I wasn’t worried about being stranded. That epoxy patch might give you some peace of mind to get you to the destination. I didn’t do it as I wanted to be able to see the progression and already planned to replace after the trip.

I used the JB weld plastic epoxy stuff (posted pics on another thread) for at least a year before I decided to just install a new radiator. It worked well and will definately buy you some time. As I changed out the Rad before it failed, how much time is still up for debate. I'd say I easily went 15k miles with the patch.

I'd clean it well and put some JB on it just to cover you til AZ, then change it there.

Others will argue just leave it with the JB Weld, and people have had good luck with that. My issue is you can no longer monitor whether the crack is progressing, and it *could* still let go without warning. A new radiator with the updated design shouldn't have the issue ever again.

$1200+ seems high. Dealer did mine. $712 for the radiator, coolant, and labor. Another $155 for new hoses and clips (the latter which are purportedly single use). I was annoyed they charged me half an hour of labor for the hoses given they had to disconnect one side to do the repair but since my VSA covered the bulk of the cost I just caved on it.

1655478444280.png

$1200+ seems high. Dealer did mine. $712 for the radiator, coolant, and labor. Another $155 for new hoses and clips (the latter which are purportedly single use). I was annoyed they charged me half an hour of labor for the hoses given they had to disconnect one side to do the repair but since my VSA covered the bulk of the cost I just caved on it.

View attachment 3036486
My local dealer in Northern CA quoted me 1500. I called an AZ dealer thinking it would be cheaper and they quoted me $1388. I’d gladly pay $800 or so, but apparently that isn’t going to happen. I had one guy tell me the radiator alone was going to be 1100.

My local dealer in Northern CA quoted me 1500. I called an AZ dealer thinking it would be cheaper and they quoted me $1388. I’d gladly pay $800 or so, but apparently that isn’t going to happen. I had one guy tell me the radiator alone was going to be 1100.
Lol paid $235 for a radiator. OEM from a dealer during the discount sale.

Lol paid $235 for a radiator. OEM from a dealer during the discount sale.
I am going to order it and have it shipped to AZ. Anything else that should be replaced while we are doing the radiator? Currently only has about 80k miles.

I am going to order it and have it shipped to AZ. Anything else that should be replaced while we are doing the radiator? Currently only has about 80k miles.
Hoses as they are wear items. Clamps are supposedly single use but I think that a load of crap so I’d just reuse them if doing it myself

You might want a spare quart of A/T fluid as you’ll lose a little bit when you pull the radiator. You might be able to capture it bad reuse it but I wouldn’t bother as a quart of ATF is $10-15

Not really necessary for just a radiator R&R job, but it is a good time to do preventative maintenance and replace the water pump, thermostat, tensioner, idler and serpentine belt.

I'll preface this with being 100% a noob but plastic like the radiator caps typically works awesome with super glue and more specifically nail glue.

I've used this glue and quick set in a ton of applications. It wouldn't seem like a bead along the potential crack area might be helpful at at worst would do no harm.

Well, here's what it looks like when the crack finally goes.
I just did complete inspection, oil change, filled and checked everything 2 days ago and wife came home from errands today and the garage had a little antifreeze smell. No drips on the floor.
Ours is a 2010 with 160k on original radiator.
Planned to leave on a trip in 48 hrs. Hope I can find a radiator tomorrow morning!
Luckily, it must have just happened and she only lost coolant amounting to what was in the expansion tank.
Sort of glad it blew today rather than in the middle of nowhere on our road trip!

IMG_20220623_193324.jpg

IMG_20220623_193318.jpg

Crazy! Did you know it had a crack prior to it going?

And thanks for all the replies. Going to try the JB weld for a temporary fix..

Crazy! Did you know it had a crack prior to it going?

And thanks for all the replies. Going to try the JB weld for a temporary fix..
It has had a small crack like the rest of the pics here on the forum since we bought it with around 125k. I looked at the area 2 days ago with my pre-trip inspection. No leak and no significant crack changes at that time.
Again, I'm glad it happened now and it's in the garage of the shop, not somewhere else!

Funny thing is that I just got a sepentine belt and tensioner/idler set in the mail today right after the wife came home with the radiator leak. The belt and associated pulleys will certainly be easier to install now that I will be pulling the radiator out tomorrow morning. Hope I can find an oem replacement radiator tomorrow when the dealers open. All of the aftermarket parts stores I called locally have no stock and can't get in a radiator until next week.

It has had a small crack like the rest of the pics here on the forum since we bought it with around 125k. I looked at the area 2 days ago with my pre-trip inspection. No leak and no significant crack changes at that time.
Again, I'm glad it happened now and it's in the garage of the shop, not somewhere else!

Funny thing is that I just got a sepentine belt and tensioner/idler set in the mail today right after the wife came home with the radiator leak. The belt and associated pulleys will certainly be easier to install now that I will be pulling the radiator out tomorrow morning. Hope I can find an oem replacement radiator tomorrow when the dealers open. All of the aftermarket parts stores I called locally have no stock and can't get in a radiator until next week.
Serra in Decatur, AL may have all of them in the country after everyone ordered one from them and then they decided to not ship them out do to shipping damage.

Serra in Decatur, AL may have all of them in the country after everyone ordered one from them and then they decided to not ship them out do to shipping damage.
I have one in my garage that is the victim of UPS’s handling..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom