Anyone sourced and fitted a brand new 1hz crate motor recently? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've given up affording a 1hdt import motor but a new 1hz crate motor (if possible to find) is probably going to be about the same cost (A$7 to 10k). Is Toyota still making 1hz's for any markets and/or any vehicles?

My 80's current 1hz is now at over 680 k km's and is the original motor to the vehicle from the factory in early 1992. For all the hype about a turbo motor the non-turbo version is still a solid performer.

I believe they are still available to purchase. I don’t know how to procure one, but we all know who the guru is to ask.

The 1HZ is very much still in production. Still used in brand new 70 series Landcruisers to this day actually. I'd walk into a dealer parts department and start a conversation, get a price. Once you've got a part number and got a price from them, check Amayama maybe, but shipping on something like this is what's always going to be the killer. You'll probably be paying dealer prices, which as you know in OZ can be a bit of a painful experience.

good to know still made - and yes I really don't care about not doing more than 100 kph as the vehicle isn't meant to be fast. It's meant to be reliable.

Will try to find out pricing and get p/n's. I'll see what I can dig out of Toyodiy's lists.

19000-17421 appears to be the last 1hz version for 80's. Pricing is quite umm, out of this world! Amayama quotes almost A$19000 ex-Japan without shipping.

My 80 being 3/92 has the 19000-17060 (it had a later revision) 1hz. It reports as being available (which doesn't mean it actually is) with a similar price.

Those are just the 'partial engine assembly' so probably without things like water pump, inj pump, alt, etc. Egad kind of makes the sub-A$10k price of an import 1hdt seem tolerable.

Wow a new 1hz would be lovely since it'd be good for the rest of my (and the 80's) lifetime. $20k is more than the vehicle is worth in total.

I'm about to dive into my 420,000 km turboed 1HZ to do a freshen up as the compressions are low. It'll get rings and b/e bearings. I have ordered all the parts I know I need (hopefully I won't find anything hideous once the head is off) and I'm planning on doing the work with the engine still in the Land Cruiser. So far parts and a few tools have come to NZD$1k. I have allowed four days to get the job done using only basic tools (and luckily for me a two post hoist).

I could be dreaming, but I could be successful too. TBC!

good to know still made - and yes I really don't care about not doing more than 100 kph as the vehicle isn't meant to be fast. It's meant to be reliable.

Will try to find out pricing and get p/n's. I'll see what I can dig out of Toyodiy's lists.

19000-17421 appears to be the last 1hz version for 80's. Pricing is quite umm, out of this world! Amayama quotes almost A$19000 ex-Japan without shipping.

My 80 being 3/92 has the 19000-17060 (it had a later revision) 1hz. It reports as being available (which doesn't mean it actually is) with a similar price.

Those are just the 'partial engine assembly' so probably without things like water pump, inj pump, alt, etc. Egad kind of makes the sub-A$10k price of an import 1hdt seem tolerable.

Wow a new 1hz would be lovely since it'd be good for the rest of my (and the 80's) lifetime. $20k is more than the vehicle is worth in total.

You can have yours rebuilt for around $4-5k
Won't be all OEM parts though.

Or source a wreck as a donor or a used engine. A 1HZ or if a 105 series or 7* series opens up more options

I kind-of hoped a new 1hz would be in the realm of affordability but Toyota stuff is normally very good so the prices that amayama quoted would include that inherent 'goodness'. True that a 105 or 7x series wrecked going be a source worth checking. Which markets still get 1hz's in the 7x series? Not sure Australia does anymore. The Toyota Australia 70-series brochure only mentioned the v8 diesel motor. Yuk.

Pretty sure government emissions requirements and the like drew a line though the 1HZ availability here for new vehicles. Still used in Africa and areas of South America for sure. Other people could probably add to that list. I think someone here "in the know" mentioned Toyota is planning to keep on manufacturing the 1HZ for decades more still, so future life looks good still. I believe the engine is also used in forklifts and other industrial applications.

given my 80 has it's original 1hz from when it was made in 1992 still, there should be no reason why government should or would attempt to block me getting a replacement motor the same or better. I just see so no practical advantage of going to a turbo motor as I don't do heavy-duty 3.5 tonne aluminum pooper hauling and when I've needed to haul loaded car trailers the 1hz has been fine. I don't a rats turd if I have to gear down on hills a lot. That's what manual gearboxes are for. Fingers crossed this year I get a small bit of funds gifted to me and then can investigate fully the available motor options.

One other thing - how 'complete' are Toyota crate motors? ie. do they come with injector pumps, etc. all pre-fitted and timed/configured ready to install? Or are they 'bare' motors - just block and head with timing set - nothing else?

given my 80 has it's original 1hz from when it was made in 1992 still, there should be no reason why government should or would attempt to block me getting a replacement motor the same or better. I just see so no practical advantage of going to a turbo motor as I don't do heavy-duty 3.5 tonne aluminum pooper hauling and when I've needed to haul loaded car trailers the 1hz has been fine. I don't a rats turd if I have to gear down on hills a lot. That's what manual gearboxes are for. Fingers crossed this year I get a small bit of funds gifted to me and then can investigate fully the available motor options.

One other thing - how 'complete' are Toyota crate motors? ie. do they come with injector pumps, etc. all pre-fitted and timed/configured ready to install? Or are they 'bare' motors - just block and head with timing set - nothing else?

They come with timing case and related gears, water pump, oil cooler and oil cooler cover, head, valve cover and oil pan.

Here is a 1FZFE long block, I out the harmonic balancer and exhaust manifolds on it.

3A5BFB5D-37B8-4FDE-AE43-C3867A7CA017.jpeg
5872FA33-4D73-44AC-B8DE-DC0981FD3991.jpeg

Cheers

If you are in Toronto then Sudbury has the 1HZ. Rebuilt around $15000.00 at Henningers Diesel.
You can also try Access or Mobile Parts the last two being particularly neighbors.
Access also has other parts in a back trailer which come off of new units for our underground fleets.
Mostly HZJ79 stuff but so much is
interchangeable. I grabbed complete rear hubs, backing plates ,drums, brakes included for $400.00 everything will fit an HZJ75 mind you the 5 lug being the only difference.
Even the brand new HZJ79 running boards directly bolt onto my 1988 BJ74

Lol yes Toronto au near Newcastle au. I keep hearing rumours that big Toyota dealerships in Sydney have motors. Don't yet have enough money to make serious inquiries but once I do... maybe new 1hz (whatever the version is currently in production as I think it's changed a little) or a 1hdt. I know a new motor will cost probably as much as the whole vehicle is worth.

They come with timing case and related gears, water pump, oil cooler and oil cooler cover, head, valve cover and oil pan.

Here is a 1FZFE long block, I out the harmonic balancer and exhaust manifolds on it.

View attachment 3041544View attachment 3041545

Cheers

How old is that pic? Too bad Toyota doesn't sell them like that anymore. Do you recall when they stopped selling long blocks?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom