Builds 1969 FJ40 named Mavis (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

As others are saying, pull it as a unit. The last one I did, the pilot bearing/trans input shaft had rust-welded themselves together so I couldn’t separate them in vehicle.

“Will get after it tomorrow”

Well, it’s tomorrow, where’s the pics of the F hanging from a hoist?!

As others are saying, pull it as a unit. The last one I did, the pilot bearing/trans input shaft had rust-welded themselves together so I couldn’t separate them in vehicle.

“Will get after it tomorrow”

Well, it’s tomorrow, where’s the pics of the F hanging from a hoist?!
My lovely bride talked me into going to the Old Stone Fort Archeological park to witness summer solstice.

This is a 50 acre stone and earth henge near Manchester Tennessee, constructed 2000 years ago to align with the sun at solstice.

I'm currently enjoying my new second grand child. Will get back to that FJ 40 later today

received_754873372373848.jpeg

My lovely bride talked me into going to the Old Stone Fort Archeological park to witness summer solstice.

This is a 50 acre stone and earth henge near Manchester Tennessee, constructed 2000 years ago to align with the sun at solstice.

I'm currently enjoying my new second grand child. Will get back to that FJ 40 later today

View attachment 3039643
Well I guess that’s a reasonable departure from 40 work. I’ll allow it this time.

Well I guess that’s a reasonable departure from 40 work. I’ll allow it this time.
Well, there it is.

IMG_20220621_172446957.jpg

Couldn't figure out how to separate the tranny from the transfer case,and those four bolts that hold the engine to the tranny were just sitting there taunting me, so I ripped that puppy out.
IMG_20220621_173823997.jpg

IMG_20220621_172511027.jpg

Trying to noodle out the transmission/transfer case separation is interesting, to say the least. Found the requisite manual pages, but really didn't comprehend what they said until I started to tear into it.

Attachments

• Transmission1.pdf
    147.3 KB · Views: 30
  • Transmission2.pdf
    154.6 KB · Views: 40
The big nut on the central drive shaft transiting the transmission and transfer case is being a stubborn bugger. I've bent back the tab and wedged a piece of maple into the gears though the PTO cover and went after it with an impact to no avail.

I took a break from that for another impossible task. I'm trying to rescue the flywheel and clutch assembly, as it's going to get a 2F and I'm told I need those things to make it work. Of course the hard part is how to wrestle the bell housing off a stuck motor. So I'm going to dismantle the stuck motor and disconnect pistons until it will turn. Got the head off and saw this disaster area

IMG_20220622_154042760.jpg

IMG_20220622_154048624.jpg

Great work so far, @120mm !

I’m in Franklin, but I just got my 40 running and driving, would love to take a road trip up to you and see how you’re doing, and lend a hand if you need.
Well, I'm retired so am around most days. Gimme a pm or text and you are welcome anytime within reason

Just randomly pulling rusted crap off this engine with the goal of turning it over to get the last two bolts off the clutch, or just getting the crank off with flywheel and clutch still attached. I have four bolts off the bell housing and it's not budging, so assume there's something else holding it on.

IMG_20220623_192341563.jpg

IMG_20220623_201609906.jpg

There are a few bolts under the flywheel that hold the bellhousing on.

I've had a couple cold ones so don't take that as the Gospel.

There are a few bolts under the flywheel that hold the bellhousing on.

I've had a couple cold ones so don't take that as the Gospel.
I guess I could actually refer to a manual, but what's the fun in that?

There are two obvious ones on top, showing from the outside, and two on the inside. Any more are stupid redundant, but something is keeping it on

I guess I could actually refer to a manual, but what's the fun in that?

There are two obvious ones on top, showing from the outside, and two on the inside. Any more are stupid redundant, but something is keeping it on
I found an F engine manual, and discovered it to be mainly useless.

In the process, most of the pistons have started moving as I hammer on them with a small sledge handle. This is allowing the crank to move down, but not in rotation.... yet.

Each time I quit for the night, I kick the hound off my lap and go back out to the shop to do something.
IMG_20220624_192451451.jpg

Found these two *ssholes hiding where I couldn't get to them. They are literally adjacent to the two external bolts holding the bell housing on. Design idiocy.

I'm pretty sure that this truck had a major rebuild and was never run afterwards. I see no sign of starter engagement on the flywheel and that main seal looks new. Even has a little remanufactured sticker on the flywheel.

I love automotive archeology

IMG_20220624_192306077.jpg

IMG_20220624_192343381.jpg

I just went through this exact thing on a project F I picked up. I put distilled white vinegar in the rusty cylinders for a week or so, then was able to turn it over enough to get the clutch, flywheel and bellhousing off so I could get it on the stand to disassemble. Fun job!….

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom