Builds - Summer time Black FJ40 re-baselining (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Old cracky rag joint. Feels much better not to have a fear of losing steering.

Screen Shot 2022-03-22 at 11.37.52 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-03-22 at 11.45.58 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-03-22 at 11.46.46 PM.png

I love easy upgrades...

New OEM bumper
Screen Shot 2022-04-03 at 6.16.55 PM.png

Looks like the Fuel Pump needs a rebuild. This probably was causing my carb float bowl to empty if I left it alone for more than 2 days.

Installed a beautiful brand new fuel pump. That thing just pushes the fuel so well. It might be the placebo talking but it's got some nice response now.

Screen Shot 2022-05-03 at 11.03.32 AM.png

The bad news is that the pressure was so good that it finally pushed my Carb gaskets over the edge. Getting all kinds of leaks, so now I must rebuild that.

The bad news is that the pressure was so good that it finally pushed my Carb gaskets over the edge. Getting all kinds of leaks, so now I must rebuild that.

Holey moley. Where is the fuel level in the porthole?

Is the port hole the air vent for the bowl? I'm thinking that the level is so high in the bowl that it's sucking up the gas through this vent and making the mixture way rich.

It's all black magic to me.

I decided to send out the Carb for a rebuild in lieu of rebuilding it myself.

Came back and it was pretty much good to go.

Screen Shot 2022-06-16 at 1.21.49 PM.png

I wanted to go through the tuning and really quickly found that I can't starve the mixture with the idle mixture screw. It runs best when it's bottomed out? Hmmm. This means I can't find the mid point per FSM.

Took out the screw and soon found out it was a little deformed. So I took a chance on a 2F screw from city Racer.

Screen Shot 2022-06-16 at 1.24.09 PM.png

The new one is much longer but I was really interested in seating it at the bottom and hoping it didn't fall out. Unfortunately nothing changed and still can't starve the mixture, (make the RPMs decrease when turning in the screw.) Ordered a NOS screw for the 1F from @ToyotaMatt, hopefully it helps otherwise I'll have to see what the rebuilder may have done.

Notice he did put in a new vacuum port right next door. (not requested). I had to plug this up as I already had a port for my vacuum advancement in the dizzy. Is this drilling too close for comfort?
Screen Shot 2022-06-16 at 1.27.51 PM.png

I decided to send out the Carb for a rebuild in lieu of rebuilding it myself.

Came back and it was pretty much good to go.

View attachment 3035735

I wanted to go through the tuning and really quickly found that I can't starve the mixture with the idle mixture screw. It runs best when it's bottomed out? Hmmm. This means I can't find the mid point per FSM.

Took out the screw and soon found out it was a little deformed. So I took a chance on a 2F screw from city Racer.

View attachment 3035741

The new one is much longer but I was really interested in seating it at the bottom and hoping it didn't fall out. Unfortunately nothing changed and still can't starve the mixture, (make the RPMs decrease when turning in the screw.) Ordered a NOS screw for the 1F from @ToyotaMatt, hopefully it helps otherwise I'll have to see what the rebuilder may have done.

Notice he did put in a new vacuum port right next door. (not requested). I had to plug this up as I already had a port for my vacuum advancement in the dizzy. Is this drilling too close for comfort?
View attachment 3035752

i am gonna include a TOYOTA LIFE TIME SERVICE Part , Cap , SUB. ASSY Vacuum for you with your IDLE screw today ............ :)

any other method of capping any vintage toyota Vacuum port is simply Passe' :rolleyes:

details matter and here in this case a life time OEM TOYOTA Genuine Parts needed parts solution is required

THIS IS THE WAY

View attachment 3035752
That new port is traditionally what we use for the dizzy advance. What port are you using?

That new port is traditionally what we use for the dizzy advance. What port are you using?
Here are the vacuum ports used. The one going to the advance on the dizzy is the top black tube that gets connected to the port under the throttle spring.

Screen Shot 2022-06-16 at 11.13.48 PM.png

Here are the vacuum ports used. The one going to the advance on the dizzy is the top black tube that gets connected to the port under the throttle spring.

View attachment 3036226

do u need more then one LIFE TIME SERVICE VACUUM CAP ?

Getting ready to ship out your idle screw and 2 life time OEM toyota service caps too

Vaccuum

But

I see you might need this ?

Or

You do need it …

PM. Me please either way I have your shipping info too there

Thanks

9864950E-7390-45D5-B0B2-396B73ACED7F.jpeg
0CAED903-58C5-4EA6-9A5E-6C7DF9A44FE1.jpeg
EFEEADF3-A5DA-4053-B703-B52128E88119.jpeg
0FC9D123-3B28-4378-A47A-62DA5471F09F.jpeg

Yes, the little things make me smile as well. That will be on my list of touch ups. thanks for the suggestion.

View attachment 3036226
The port you are using for the distributor has vacuum all the time; that is not correct.

Also, Chances are if you look down the primary barrel at idle, you will see fuel dribbling out of the primary emulsifier. THAT would be why your idle mixture screw is not working.

Thanks for the comment. This really got me thinking as I always thought that the idle vacuum was not strong enough to move the advance and when the higher vacuum existed upon higher RPMs then it would engage.

First. Let's measure the vacuum on idle and under throttle.

Then let's see how this type of vacuum level affects the dizzy advance. It doesn't take much to max out the advance.

Bonus footage of the carb's primary.

FJ40 carb in action - https://youtu.be/B3QPnOOJumw

Here is the vacuum reading for the new port by the fuel mixture screw. It shows that indeed this is ported vs. direct. Thanks for pointing this out @65swb45,

I disconnected and capped the direct vacuum port (under the throttle lever), thanks @ToyotaMatt . Then connected the dizzy to the new ported vacuum tube.

I then went back and readjusted the timing as it was previously adjusted with the advance always on. adjusted the idle and fuel mixture screws and all is well. Engine working well and can feel the extra horsepower.

Here is the vacuum reading for the new port by the fuel mixture screw. It shows that indeed this is ported vs. direct. Thanks for pointing this out @65swb45,

I disconnected and capped the direct vacuum port (under the throttle lever), thanks @ToyotaMatt . Then connected the dizzy to the new ported vacuum tube.

I then went back and readjusted the timing as it was previously adjusted with the advance always on. adjusted the idle and fuel mixture screws and all is well. Engine working well and can feel the extra horsepower.

That’s what the like button is for.😉

Oil pressure readings. making sure as my gauge is a little off to the left. Should I adjust to get it closer to 55 psi?

Oil pressure readings. making sure as my gauge is a little off to the left. Should I adjust to get it closer to 55 psi?

Looks like it's just under 30 PSI at idle? Is that a warm engine or cold?
That's not bad pressure.
What would you adjust to raise the oil pressure?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom