Builds 1995 full resto build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Had these AC lines vapor honed yesterday.

1127EA3F-EE3D-40AE-A289-42D91E47C1BA.jpeg
14623FDB-C9FD-4516-BC36-3C543BAAF91A.jpeg

Cheers

Also, on the POR15 info, the wet cardboard on the floor is for a reason. I have found POR15 likes to go down and cure in high humidity. The wet cardboard helps provide that.

Cheers

Very nice work! Which POR15 product are you using? Spray cans? I need to do this to my trailer frame.

Standard chassis black. We brush it on with a foam brush.

The POR15 is our base coat, we will be top coating it which you will see here.

Doing the axle housings, diff carriers and few other parts today in POR15. Then we will move to top coating next week before starting assembly.

Cheers

Standard chassis black. We brush it on with a foam brush.

The POR15 is our base coat, we will be top coating it which you will see here.

Doing the axle housings, diff carriers and few other parts today in POR15. Then we will move to top coating next week before starting assembly.

Cheers

How do you treat the inside of the boxed areas of the frame?

How do you treat the inside of the boxed areas of the frame?

Didn’t need it on this one as far as paint. Chassis was in good shape, just the welds on the frame were starting to show rust. I think we will probably do a fluid film inside though when all done.

If you are watching Lockwood's 79 build we are doing you will see how we coat the inside on that one. It has welding on the frame including 12” added to the rails so it needs to be coated inside.

Cheers

Last edited:
This is impressive! Thanks for posting this thread so we can watch it unfold.

I'd be happy with a purely mechanical refresh on my 94'. Then I wouldn't cry when I got it dirty or scratched :)

Although its not stock with a rig that nice I'd be temped to go with a Ravelco antitheft that's hard wired and tough to defeat, especially since access will be easy with it all torn apart.

Didn’t need it on this one as far as paint. Chassis was good shape just the welds on the frame were starting to show rust. I think we will probably do a fluid film inside though when all done.

If you are watching Lockwoods 79 build we are doing you will see how we coat the inside on that one. It has welding on the frame including 12” added to the rails so it needs to be coated inside.

Cheers
Got a link?

So why POR15 over spraying it?

My reason is simply because we flood all the seams with the POR15. This seals it all up good, better than you can do with a spray gun. Simply because there are so many seams on all these chassis parts it is hard to get it all sealed good even with powder coat. There is rust between the layered metal. Brackets that are welded on, no way to remove that corrosion without cutting off brackets. Best to just seal it up for good, imho.

On top of this I have found the POR15 to be extremely durable and corrosion resistant when applied correctly. I been using it and Rust Bullet for going on 20yrs. I have certainly had botched jobs but it was all on me. After a bunch of “lessons” on what to do and not do I feel like I get good results consistently.

Cheers

Since I am sitting here in the shop having a cold beer after our day and week (literally watching paint dry! 🙄), here is a few more pics of parts we did today.

6AB38ECC-4C87-403D-828B-39EAD8F1E156.jpeg
2C8E83D1-E6B8-4468-BD1B-929FAE250FF5.jpeg
B65701FB-2F95-43D9-905C-A7A845F88899.jpeg

Cheers

This is impressive! Thanks for posting this thread so we can watch it unfold.

Although its not stock with a rig that nice I'd be temped to go with a Ravelco antitheft that's hard wired and tough to defeat, especially since access will be easy with it all torn apart.

No worries and you are welcome.

However @ohsix wants us to do it we can and will do it. The project and Cruiser is not being left unsecure during this build. Video surveillance on my lot and it is locked down inside. So not really sure what you mean by "especially since access will be easy with it all torn apart."

I know there is a lot of threads on here about security. My Cruiser is safe in my driveway, not everywhere in this country is your Cruiser at risk, yet. If worried, why not just pull the coil wire? It is going nowhere without one and most people who look under the hood will have no idea what is missing unless they know FZJ80's. A simple ball valve on the primary fuel line that you can close also solves this problem, as long as any thieves don't see you closing it. I have considered this when doing trips down to Panama and back. This style, if they come to rob me in camp, put a gun in my face, I hand them the keys. I then disappear into the darkness while they get 200yrds and it dies. The South Africans have come up with some real creative ways to prevent vehicle theft, even car jacking. Check it out! :hillbilly:

I am personally not a fan of alarm systems, remote start, you live in the Rockies, ok cool no worries. Or where it gets 110*, sure remote start makes sense. But alarms, meh. Must be time I spent in Latin America? They go off all the time 24/7 down there and it is over nothing other than loud busses and bikes with no mufflers driving by. I personally don't live in or have lived in a location where theft is an issue for 25yrs. On the road south, I had my ways of dealing with security, an alarm system was the least useful.

Cheers

I think he meant access to install the Ravelco would be easy since the truck is currently apart.

I’m not planning any anti-theft devices on this Cruiser. Once it’s done, it will spend most of its nights in my garage or far from the city.
Yeah that's what I meant, since it's easier to install when it's all apart.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom