Speedo Calibration - Golden Switch? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey folks, hope things are well. I vaguely recall a post around a switch setup in an FZJ80 that would calibrate the speed odometer for larger tires. I think someone called it a golden switch?

I did a search but couldn't seem to find anything on it. Anyone recall if this is possible OR do folks just buy a device to recalibrate the speed.

Thanks so much!

Yellow Box? I had one in my 80 and it worked great. I think it works in the 100 and possibly 200 as well. Plug and play, no splicing necessary.

Yellow Box? I had one in my 80 and it worked great. I think it works in the 100 and possibly 200 as well. Plug and play, no splicing necessary.

Thanks! For some reason I thought someone in the group told me there was a factory switch that would adjust it but doing searches on mud it looks like its the Yellow box.

Many years ago I was referred to Dick’s Speedo locally for a similar device on my Tundra. I never went through with it, but thought I’d mention it as an option.

If you don't mind another gauge. The ultragauge will do speedo correction. That's what I have been using for years.

with mechanical speedo cables, there's also the option of changing the speedo gear in the transmission

with mechanical speedo cables, there's also the option of changing the speedo gear in the transmission

On the split case used in the late 40 series and 60/70 series during the eighties and early nineties the best driven gear had fifteen teeth. Best I could determine this was used in Europe on HJ61 16" split rims and 3.70:1 diff gear sets. These are NLA. I did manage to get a couple before that happened. Somewhere I ended with a inline small gear box that fits on the transfer case that believe was for speedometer correction. Prior to the digital age more trial and error. Other than not having the correct odometer mileage a dash GPS is an easier solution.

On the split case used in the late 40 series and 60/70 series during the eighties and early nineties the best driven gear had fifteen teeth. Best I could determine this was used in Europe on HJ61 16" split rims and 3.70:1 diff gear sets. These are NLA. I did manage to get a couple before that happened. Somewhere I ended with a inline small gear box that fits on the transfer case that believe was for speedometer correction. Prior to the digital age more trial and error. Other than not having the correct odometer mileage a dash GPS is an easier solution.
Maybe I’m remembering incorrectly, but don’t the 89-95 4runner/pickup speedo gears swap over? Those had like 15 different gear options, most of which are still available from Toyota.