AHC hard line failure (rust) - replace with flex line? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Header more or less says it, but the detail is:
2004 LX470, 210K miles, Northern VA year-rounder so she sees salt etc. AHC works fine *except* that the DS rear AHC hard line is leaking badly about 3-4" before it meets the accumulator / controller body on the frame rail. Failure is pretty clearly due to rust. Now that I'm under there, the other three AHC shock supply lines look similar. Brake and fuel lines look ok for now and the globes are fair.

I'm reading that the lines are NLA, plus very difficult to replace without lifting the body?

Assuming I'd like to keep AHC as the first option, what are my options for repair:
1) Can I massage the old lines off and have a hydraulic shop just make new ones?
2) Does anyone know what the end fittings are? I can measure the one at near accumulator of course, the one at the shock end is harder to get to... is it proprietary or just a standard hydraulic something?
3) Can the fitting end at the top of the shock be undone without dropping the shock or is it some sort of one-piece 90 degree into the shock body?
4) Other words of wisdom / options?

Anyone have a take-off set laying around?

Worst case I can always to convert to springs of course, but since everything else works well (I've kept up on AHC maintenance over the years) would like to start with repair options.

Cant you just cut it, flare it and use a high pressure union?

If the lines were in better shape I would, but there's too much rust, at least down low where I can see it. I haven't surveyed the top of the shock body yet... might be that I can save whatever the top end fitting is and have a new line made from that.

I'm not sure they're NLA—amayama and partsouq both show some availability on AHC hard lines. I don't know which one you specifically need, but it's worth trying to track down the parts diagram for yours and searching for that part specifically.

Replacing them would be pretty similar to your #1 option above in terms of labor. My only experience with them is in removing them entirely after one of the POs converted to standard and just disco'd everything, leaving it in place.

Well, that's good news. I'll have a go at amayama. Dealer I called said NLA but maybe they couldn't be arsed to look.

I think the issue with the lines was the initial cost but also shipping from overseas due to the length. I’m sure a hydraulic shop could make lines for much less.

Thanks guys, appreciate the guidance; that gives me some good options. She’s going to sit for another few weeks (time commits) but then I’ll have a go at replacement.

Nckwltn I’ll pm you

Thanks guys, appreciate the guidance; that gives me some good options. She’s going to sit for another few weeks (time commits) but then I’ll have a go at replacement.

Nckwltn I’ll pm you
Did you ever get around to replacing the lines? Mine are rusted as well and thinking of ordering some from overseas and giving it a go. Wondering how it went for you if you decided to do it. Thanks

I did actually. Forgot to follow up here; thanks for the reminder.

I took Nckwltn up on his offer, bought his used lines, and had the local shop install while I worked on another project. The shop charged ~$1200 (including tax, etc) to install, refill, and bleed the lines. Has run great ever since!

I am probably about due to change the four gas springs now though. Changed at 120K miles and now she’s about 220K. That’s a one beer job on any given Sat, and $400 the set of four… a lot cheaper than they were a few years ago.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom