Re-gearing 4spd manual FJ62 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey folks,
QQ for the group: I bought an FJ62 that had been converted to a 4spd manual around 30k miles ago. Overall, I do not have any issues with the vehicle and it drives pretty well. I had a tune-up done it last week and my mechanic mentioned that it might be good to either get 31s (currently running stock 235s) or re-gear it since it is a little laggy with the 3F and the 4spd. Overall, I don't really notice any issues... I mean, it is laggy but it's a 4spd. And the speedometer seems to be accurate.

Has anyone else done this? Any advice here?

TIA!

If by laggy you mean slow to respond to accelerator pedal, a larger tire would make this worse. I suspect you mean the opposite, because the manual should make the final drive ratio "shorter", with RPM's going higher than they would with auto for some road speed. IMO, your mechanic's suggestion to go with 31's is good advice.

If by laggy you mean slow to respond to accelerator pedal, a larger tire would make this worse. I suspect you mean the opposite, because the manual should make the final drive ratio "shorter", with RPM's going higher than they would with auto for some road speed. IMO, your mechanic's suggestion to go with 31's is good advice.
Yes, exactly. Wasn't sure of the right terminology (thanks for putting the right words to the issue). Thanks for the input!

I would run 31s. Your speedometer will be a bit less accurate. Your engine must be screaming pretty well at 60 or 65 mph with no overdrive and 235s.

31” tires will accelerate and brake a bit worse than 235s (29”) but will lower the RPMs a bit at the same highway speed.
31” tires on a FJ62 with either transmission and stock gearing is fine.

I would run 31s. Your speedometer will be a bit less accurate. Your engine must be screaming pretty well at 60 or 65 mph with no overdrive and 235s.
Especially considering FJ62's should have 4.11 gears in the diffs...I'm on 33's with the stock 4.11's and a 5-speed, I couldn't imagine that on 235's.

@cruisernoob88 You might want to consider moving up the 33's if you still have the stock FJ62 differentials. That combo is generally regarded as "perfect" for an H55F swapped 62 and you'd be close to that, really only missing the overdrive 5th. Might have to put on a mild suspension lift to fit 33's but that seems to be a tried and true combo for many people.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom