What is the Tacoma mod for the antenna? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I’m going the multiplexor route to merge FM/AM with my existing firestick for CB.

Hoping to delete the factory hood antenna completely. A snorkel install is pending, anyone kind of that assembly covers the antenna hole in the quarter panel? Any other creative ideas?

3D print a plug for the antenna hole in the fender. Or, I just bought and installed an OEM manual telescoping antenna from Cruiser Outfitters and leave it down all the time.

BUMP:

What is everyone using for a stub antenna? I want to delete mine ASAP as it only goes up and down partially and makes annoying motor whirring noise.

Maybe you could mate this with a Tacoma antennae assembly? Has anyone tried this?

3D print a plug for the antenna hole in the fender. Or, I just bought and installed an OEM manual telescoping antenna from Cruiser Outfitters and leave it down all the time.
Not sure it's the right size for an LC but I've deleted antennas on other Toyotas and Nissans with an OEM Honda antenna delete grommet...

50174585013_7da41a1f6b_k.jpg

What is everyone using for a stub antenna?

i was running a generic short whip antenna from autozone and it was pretty good but after adding led headlights to the truck i was getting a lot of interferience so i changed out to a longer antenna and its been fine with that

How was the installation? Was it easy?
I had issues with my installation so I would be the wrong person to ask. LOL. Everyone else suggests it was extremely simple.

My issue was that I THOUGHT I would be removing the old motor so I had already tore apart the fender liner and misc parts from the antenna motor only to find out I kinda need it lol. So I am not sure if I didn't put something back together correctly that resulted in making my installation more difficult. Mine is on there, but without that chrome grommet.

The linked kit is spec’d for a 100 series. Can you confirm that it works with the 80 series. Also, does the shorter antenna degrade your reception?
Yes, I bought the linked kit. I suspect it works with all Toyota power antenna of that era. The directions showed a 3rd gen 4unner in the pics. As far as reception quality I can’t say for sure, but I’m sure it doesn’t work as well as stock. The only channel I really listen to still comes in clear.

Reviving this old dead horse but I think I found my answer. I was going to attempt putting a 97/LX450 whole assembly in with hopes that if I broke the mast again I'd just use a replacement mast with toothed cable and it would be easy swap. Since all signals come from the ECU which I don't have in my early 96 I'm restricted to that assembly with the smooth nylon cable.

I swapped mine out with a $14 Metra AutoZone manual antenna. Reception is great, it kind of looks like ass so I will probably go with a OEM unit off eBay.

I almost removed the whole quarter panel before I saw you needed to pull the we windshield cowl up... After that I just gave in to scraping my large hands up in the hole in the sheet metal and was able to feed a new antenna cable in with some Windex lube and a bit of swearing. I put an extension from my head unit to the glove box a few weeks prior when I replaced that so, in theory, I don't have to remove the center dash console anymore.

There is also a nmo mount available to replace your antenna

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom