SOLD Early Factory Soft Top (FST) bows (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

scoobiedubes

SILVER Star
Threads
Decided I want to try to get a soft top made for the 1960 FJ25 I’m working on right now. I have a few of the door channel pieces for the soft top but missing most of the bows. If anybody has a full set they are willing to sell, or any random pieces please let me know! I understand the 40s were different from the 25s but I’m assuming I won’t find the 25 set, so I’m ok with modifying a set from a 40 too.

1654288151640.jpeg

What are you doing for the doors?

Oh boy, another early FST group buy in the works ;) let’s hope we can be more successful than the ones in the past.

Backup plan is modifying a set of real steel cruiser bows, which I hear are very good quality. But obviously hoping to get some OEM.

Oh boy, another early FST group buy in the works ;) let’s hope we can be more successful than the ones in the past.

Did I miss one of group buys that was actually a group buy? Know of four different attempts. Did the last attempt up in Oregon produce any tops. Last I remember owner with top used for a pattern got his old top back missing parts. Think the parts got retun but no replacdment after loaning it for two years.

I do have a VGOS (very good old stock) main top if needed to copy. Bows and doors also needed here.

Which top did you end up with, Phil's or the one off the early FJ40 way south close to the Mexican border?

Still have the doors on my remaining FJ25 and bows I picked up off 61 FJ40 many years ago. A could loan those but know Nathan already has those.

Did I miss one of group buys that was actually a group buy? Know of four different attempts. Did the last attempt up in Oregon produce any tops. Last I remember owner with top used for a pattern got his old top back missing parts. Think the parts got retun but no replacdment after loaning it for two years.

Which top did you end up with, Phil's or the one off the early FJ40 way south close to the Mexican border?

Still have the doors on my remaining FJ25 and bows I picked up off 61 FJ40 many years ago. A could loan those but know Nathan already has those.
I was just jokingly referring to al the old “group buy” early soft top threads I’ve seen that all fizzled for one reason or another. Doesn’t seem like it should be a problem in Scottsdale where there are so many canvas shops but certainly should not count my eggs before they are hatched?

John I’ll need your expertise when I find someone that can make them.

But first thing’s first - Gotta find some bows! then worry about the top :) “Ebony” is going to need a top too, but I’d like to obviously make them both at the same time.

Last edited:
I was just jokingly referring to al the old “group buy” early soft top threads I’ve seen that all fizzled for one reason or another. Doesn’t seem like it should be a problem in Scottsdale where there are so many canvas shops but certainly should not count my eggs before they are hatched?

John I’ll certainly need your expertise when I find someone that can make them.

But first thing’s first - Gotta find some bows! then worry about the top :) “Ebony” is going to need a top too, but I’d like to obviously make them both at the same time.

You have a huge head start with B pillar and door header already. Then having original bows to use as a pattern you way ahead. The B pillar is very different than the later bow.

My remaining FJ25 has the soft top Pillar in front of the 75 FJ40 hard top. Years ago Cruiser_Nerd had a sheet metal shop bend the piece for the header and B pillar. Still have those stored away. If I every get ago to my last FJ25 and 1962 FST tub should have most of what I need to made another set. Doors are harder to reproduce with the C channel bend around the lower half.

What's the story on the FJ28? Had a crazy idea at one time of four door made out of a early FJ40 tub and a FJ25.

You have a huge head start with B pillar and door header already. Then having original bows to use as a pattern you way ahead. The B pillar is very different than the later bow.

My remaining FJ25 has the soft top Pillar in front of the 75 FJ40 hard top. Years ago Cruiser_Nerd had a sheet metal shop bend the piece for the header and B pillar. Still have those stored away. If I every get ago to my last FJ25 and 1962 FST tub should have most of what I need to made another set. Doors are harder to reproduce with the C channel bend around the lower half.

What's the story on the FJ28? Had a crazy idea at one time of four door made out of a early FJ40 tub and a FJ25.
I need to post some fj28 updates… body is coming along, just very very slowly. All the doors are done now and quarter panels are in process. I’ll try to post some photos this month sometime.

I have a fj25 set of bows and hoping to reproduce the front pieces. The rest of it is the same as the later model. The one piece I don’t have and have never seen is the two u shape pieces that wrap around the back of the legs in the back. In the later model bows it has two bolts holes that tighten it down. The early one only has one bolt hole and a hook from what I can tell. Does anyone have one of these they can post a picture of? I have a 63 FST and 65 FST. They both need them.
A5E80A3B-AFB9-4F73-A3B6-6797F8D4363A.jpeg

1562D553-F357-4055-B6B4-AF1C6C5682E9.jpeg

A00A1714-F483-4BD3-967F-6FAD09F81341.jpeg

534BB60C-8347-4BF9-ABAC-84FED78E3537.jpeg

Wow that’s exactly what I have been looking for. It’s a little different then I imagined plus the one on the right is way different also.

I have a fj25 set of bows and hoping to reproduce the front pieces. The rest of it is the same as the later model. The one piece I don’t have and have never seen is the two u shape pieces that wrap around the back of the legs in the back. In the later model bows it has two bolts holes that tighten it down. The early one only has one bolt hole and a hook from what I can tell. Does anyone have one of these they can post a picture of? I have a 63 FST and 65 FST. They both need them.
View attachment 3034960

View attachment 3034964

View attachment 3034966

View attachment 3034967

Actually the bow between the B pillar and back is shaped a little different. The one that runs between the side runners.

After examining both 25s and looking at some 40 bows I decided my best course of action Is to just order the rear cage for a 40 set of bows from real steel and do any modifications needed to those. I think it would be a shame to hack up a complete set of OEM 40 bows that belong in someone’s FJ40 FST. So I’m going to mark this thread as complete.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom