Normal Temperature at 70mph +/- (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Does it have a clutch fan? If yes, does it spin freely when cold or have resistance? Is the bypass hose from the waterpump to thermostat housing present? What kind of shape do the radiator and heaters look like? Is the fan shroud present? Do you know the timing? Vacuum leaks?

How could I verify the Dakota digital gauges being correct / incorrect?
Fairly easy way to check temp gauge calibrations:
You can pull the temp sender out of the engine and put in in a pop can or small coffee can with water or oil. Put a known good thermometer in the bath and heat the can with a torch.
You can then watch the thermometer as it heats and compare to the gauge in the truck. Remember water will boil at 212F if your close to sea level.
We do this all the time in the aircraft engine world. Cessna and Piper gauges from the factory suck. Always confirm the gauge calibrations first!

And FYI, my F2 powered 78 fj40 has all new rad, fan clutch and thermostat. It runs up to 205F on a hot day climbing a steep hill. Otherwise 190F seems to be about the typical.

Ok guys, back with a few photos. I haven’t been able to spend any time in the shop this week but I wanted to answer a few questions to keep the ball rolling;

It does have a fan shroud, and a new water pump.

189789CB-BADA-4F97-A47D-A467EC7C6613.jpeg
41DF10D6-6119-4C54-A394-8548BC0A440A.jpeg
C620BE6C-CA33-4205-A2AF-0E8B9804F39C.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom