What have you done to your Land Cruiser this week? (19 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Went to a car show, got called a Jeep too many times 😂

View attachment 3038661

I hate car shows. All I drive is vintage iron, so I've accidentally been involuntarily "entered" in them more than once. Mostly, I'm getting an ice cream or a cup of coffee and the organizers assume I'm part of their parking lot show. Once I parked my car in a parking lot near a walking trail to walk my dog, and came back an hour later to find a car show had sprung up around my car.

The problem with car shows, is that "car show people" are generally garbage. No, I don't want suggestions on how to "improve" my daily driven classic and no, I don't want to hear your b.s. story about how you owned a car "just like that" even though you can't identify my car by year, model or even make.

I hate car shows. All I drive is vintage iron, so I've accidentally been involuntarily "entered" in them more than once. Mostly, I'm getting an ice cream or a cup of coffee and the organizers assume I'm part of their parking lot show. Once I parked my car in a parking lot near a walking trail to walk my dog, and came back an hour later to find a car show had sprung up around my car.

The problem with car shows, is that "car show people" are generally garbage. No, I don't want suggestions on how to "improve" my daily driven classic and no, I don't want to hear your b.s. story about how you owned a car "just like that" even though you can't identify my car by year, model or even make.
Just the other day I was at lowes getting bagged cement and I had a lady tell me she owned the exact same jeep as mine, same color and everything. I had the kick vents open and she commented that someone really hacked it up to put those vents in.
I constantly have people tell me they had a 67 or 72 nova exactly like mine, though mine is actually a 68 Chevelle. And I highly doubt theirs was anything like it….

Decided to do an oil change. Couldn't find the usual oil drain pan, was pleasantly surprised to find that 5 gallon buckets fit just fine under the oilpan.
Easily the most expensive oil change I've ever done

20220620_103111.jpg

20220620_102536.jpg

Decided to do an oil change.
While i was in there, what with the hood up and all, thought i might change the sparking plugs.
Had a heck of a time finding them at first, all my usual FLAPS were saying "special order, it'll be weeks".
Found Denso online, had them the next day.
#5 plug is worrisome, came out oily...

20220620_135013.jpg

20220620_145457.jpg

Went to a car show, got called a Jeep too many times 😂

View attachment 3038661
Well, it may be related to the jeep: A Brief History of the Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40 / BJ40 + J40 Series - https://silodrome.com/toyota-land-cruiser-fj40-bj40-history/

I first heard this same basic story back in 1975 when I bought my first FJ40, a soft-top 1967 with a 3 on the tree column shift. It wasn't in good shape, and I was a poor 18 year old about a year later when I sold it. Could not afford to have it as my only car, and couldn't afford to have 2 cars.

I recently got my ‘71 back on the road after being distracted for nearly 6 months. I boneheadedly started the truck in 4WD low, in gear, while standing outside. The truck started. It proceeded to shear the 4 bolts that retained the parking brake backing plate and tore out my parking brake cable. It also ran into “something” before i could stop it, bending and runining my brand new OEM Toyota bumper. Cheap lesson really, i could have done much more damage to someones nice vehicle had the circumstances been different.

I installed a new backing plate along with a Valley Hybrids dual seal speedo housing to try and keep any future leakage from happening.

Weather has been so good I decided to take the top off and have been daily driving it to work for the last week. Too removal exposed the factory paint and its going to take everything in my will power to not try and strip this respray down to see if i can bring out the original spring green.

BEEEE1AD-2B0B-4521-82B9-C164016EDE70.jpeg
8EF395FD-1A18-4172-83B5-CBA5E7DDE92B.jpeg
EEC72C08-C7EE-408B-9726-B06C25F4EEF4.jpeg

I recently got my ‘71 back on the road after being distracted for nearly 6 months. I boneheadedly started the truck in 4WD low, in gear, while standing outside. The truck started.
the good news ; your rig starts easily.

the good news ; your rig starts easily.
It really does! Not sure if its a result of the gear reduction starter i installed, or someone in this trucks past life actually properly dialed in the webber carb. Maybe a combo of both.

I guess I do it cold, and then hot?
yup, do it cold to start. do it a few times to orient yourself. start it and run it long enough to get warm and do it a couple more times.

Just installed air conditioning in my FJ40. The color is a little garish but the installation only took 20 seconds and the price point was outstanding. Totally adjustable and doesn’t affect performance or gas mileage. It’s especially nice at traffic lights when the factory AC (bug catcher window and floor vents) is rendered useless.

View attachment 3038259

View attachment 3038260
Kept it true to Toyota’s crotch vent too. Bravo!

I recently got my ‘71 back on the road after being distracted for nearly 6 months. I boneheadedly started the truck in 4WD low, in gear, while standing outside. The truck started. It proceeded to shear the 4 bolts that retained the parking brake backing plate and tore out my parking brake cable. It also ran into “something” before i could stop it, bending and runining my brand new OEM Toyota bumper. Cheap lesson really, i could have done much more damage to someones nice vehicle had the circumstances been different.

I installed a new backing plate along with a Valley Hybrids dual seal speedo housing to try and keep any future leakage from happening.

Weather has been so good I decided to take the top off and have been daily driving it to work for the last week. Too removal exposed the factory paint and its going to take everything in my will power to not try and strip this respray down to see if i can bring out the original spring green.

View attachment 3039429View attachment 3039430View attachment 3039431
Unfortunately I relate all too much to your post. A few weeks ago I was winching my 100 out of the yard with my 40 (front bumper against a tree as a stop)...well apparently that wasn't a great idea because I too ruined my "newish" previously unscratched bumper and crushed the door of the 100 on a tree. If that wasn't enough the following weekend I proceeded to back my 100 into my wife's rav4 and cause 3800 worth of damage. All this fun without leaving the confines of my tiny 1.12 acre property. Come to think of....years ago I rolled one of my 40s in the driveway which probably equates to more land cruiser damage has happened in my yard than on the trail.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom