80 series gearbox + transfer mod into HZJ105 with 1HDT (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all,

I've searched and searched but I can't seem to find the info I need for this specific case...

I have a 1HDT swapped 105 series pov pack, and I'm swapping out my R151 box (pushing 190hp and towing 2T so I'm being cautious) and have found an 80 series petrol H150 with full time transfer case.

My first question is - will the box bolt in OK? What else will I need to get hold of to make it work? It has no levers or bell housing so I'm not sure which ones I'll need.

My second question is - can I swap the input shaft from the 80 series transfer case into my 105 transfer case to avoid having to find a new transfer case or doing a part time conversion on the 80 box?

Finally - if I have to use the 80 transfer case, will the drive shafts marry up?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Hi all,

I've searched and searched but I can't seem to find the info I need for this specific case...

I have a 1HDT swapped 105 series pov pack, and I'm swapping out my R151 box (pushing 190hp and towing 2T so I'm being cautious) and have found an 80 series petrol H150 with full time transfer case.

My first question is - will the box bolt in OK? What else will I need to get hold of to make it work? It has no levers or bell housing so I'm not sure which ones I'll need.

My second question is - can I swap the input shaft from the 80 series transfer case into my 105 transfer case to avoid having to find a new transfer case or doing a part time conversion on the 80 box?

Finally - if I have to use the 80 transfer case, will the drive shafts marry up?

Thanks in advance for any help!
Hi JamieTheMonk,

I'm in the middle of a similar project at the moment but I'm converting a 2009 low klm VDJ76 H150 over to a H151 14 tooth 6cyl input shaft (with HF1A part time transfer from the same VDJ) to my GXL HZJ105 with bucket seats but I'm doing it before adding some grunt. Mine requires the HDJ100 gearbox to transfer case adapter to get my shifter further back for the fat console and also the VDJ HF1A transfer case has the mount for the HDJ100 rear transfer lever but with an 80 series lockout low range lift up lever in place of the HDJ lever, you will not need that on the 105 Pov Pack so the answer is yes you can use the 80 series box in your standard 105 using 80 series levers but check you are being given the correct parts as a lot of wreckers etc do not know the differences, i found out the hard way.

I had initially bought a 1HZ bellhousing to mount up my H150 to the 1HZ but had to buy a HDJ100 H151 worn out donor box for the adapter housing but it came with the 1HDFTE bellhousing as well and once I saw the difference I decided to go with the HDFTE bell as it is set up to pump what looks like double the amount of air over the clutch, it has a volute cast into it and much larger air inlet and outlet ports to keep it cooler plus extra strengthening ribs, saying that though I was happy to use the 80 series stock bell until that point, it all fits ok and I'm using the stock 1HZ flywheel so have bought a heavy duty blusteele FZJ75 clutch (#BTA 9625) which has the 14 tooth spline and 275mm pressure plate and driven plate, Blusteele told me that the petrol pressure plate bolts up to the 1HZ flywheel as well so I bought the whole kit for $396aud, you didn't mention if you had the 275mm or 300mm clutch flywheel.

My stock R151 has the full time transfer and is longer by about 45mm than a part time transfer so I need a 45mm longer rear tailshaft to fit the HF1A transfer so whichever transfer you use will affect the tailshaft choice. and the transfer input shaft to use your R box transfer on the H box is around $330 from memory or I guess you might be able to just swap it over but not sure of exactly which transfer you have, might need the shaft only or the gear type shaft, I considered doing the same but after 25 years with part time transfers in my two 80's I know what I prefer, i always slipped it into H4 no matter what speed I was doing with a quick dip of the throttle and no pressure on the transfer and here in Cairns if it is wet and slippery i just engaged my FW hubs before heading out and yank it into H4 near roundabouts on bitumen and back into H2 as it straightened up again, plenty of wheel slip and no problems ever but of course never on dry bitumen.

Hope its not too much info overload but others doing the conversions might read this as well and more is better in most cases.

Hi JamieTheMonk,

I'm in the middle of a similar project at the moment but I'm converting a 2009 low klm VDJ76 H150 over to a H151 14 tooth 6cyl input shaft (with HF1A part time transfer from the same VDJ) to my GXL HZJ105 with bucket seats but I'm doing it before adding some grunt. Mine requires the HDJ100 gearbox to transfer case adapter to get my shifter further back for the fat console and also the VDJ HF1A transfer case has the mount for the HDJ100 rear transfer lever but with an 80 series lockout low range lift up lever in place of the HDJ lever, you will not need that on the 105 Pov Pack so the answer is yes you can use the 80 series box in your standard 105 using 80 series levers but check you are being given the correct parts as a lot of wreckers etc do not know the differences, i found out the hard way.

I had initially bought a 1HZ bellhousing to mount up my H150 to the 1HZ but had to buy a HDJ100 H151 worn out donor box for the adapter housing but it came with the 1HDFTE bellhousing as well and once I saw the difference I decided to go with the HDFTE bell as it is set up to pump what looks like double the amount of air over the clutch, it has a volute cast into it and much larger air inlet and outlet ports to keep it cooler plus extra strengthening ribs, saying that though I was happy to use the 80 series stock bell until that point, it all fits ok and I'm using the stock 1HZ flywheel so have bought a heavy duty blusteele FZJ75 clutch (#BTA 9625) which has the 14 tooth spline and 275mm pressure plate and driven plate, Blusteele told me that the petrol pressure plate bolts up to the 1HZ flywheel as well so I bought the whole kit for $396aud, you didn't mention if you had the 275mm or 300mm clutch flywheel.

My stock R151 has the full time transfer and is longer by about 45mm than a part time transfer so I need a 45mm longer rear tailshaft to fit the HF1A transfer so whichever transfer you use will affect the tailshaft choice. and the transfer input shaft to use your R box transfer on the H box is around $330 from memory or I guess you might be able to just swap it over but not sure of exactly which transfer you have, might need the shaft only or the gear type shaft, I considered doing the same but after 25 years with part time transfers in my two 80's I know what I prefer, i always slipped it into H4 no matter what speed I was doing with a quick dip of the throttle and no pressure on the transfer and here in Cairns if it is wet and slippery i just engaged my FW hubs before heading out and yank it into H4 near roundabouts on bitumen and back into H2 as it straightened up again, plenty of wheel slip and no problems ever but of course never on dry bitumen.

Hope its not too much info overload but others doing the conversions might read this as well and more is better in most cases.
Hi Pilbara,

That's some good info, thank you!

Since posting this I've ended up getting my hands on a fairly new (2019, 110,000 kms) H152 box (taller 5th gear) from a VDJ79, so the scope has changed a little bit. That was taken with everything out during an auto conversion and came with a good HD clutch, flywheel and all the cylinders etc. That's all on a 14 tooth spline but since it's nearly everything I need, I'm now planning on swapping the longer 14 spline VDJ input shaft (too long to cut down) with a 14 spline HDJ80 shaft, machining the flywheel, popping in a new throw-out bearing and spigot bearing and using that set up as-is.

I have the stock 275mm flywheel atm on the 21 fine spline shaft, but I believe the 300mm flywheel has the same radius, just a bigger friction surface. I would love to clarify that before I start buying parts..

This does leave me without a transfer so far though. I'm now considering just swapping the input shaft (or shaft and gear - I'm not sure how to find out which input configuration I need, but I guess I have the full manual HF1A) in my current one as that seems to be otherwise fine (230k kms, recently pulled down by Cross Country for seals etc). I don't want to give up the part time set up.. I've heard mixed reviews about how hard this is to do for a handy novice, but so far it's leaning towards do-able, on par with the input shaft for the box - do you have any idea?

Figuring out the parts for the transfer input might be my biggest remaining mystery! I think this part below might be the key, but honestly I have no idea so I'm gonna have to make a phone call or two perhaps..
Which looks the same as this (I'm assuming is for my car):

If you have any good resources for the input shaft swap on either box I'd love to hear them :)

I found this for the older boxes, but I figure it should be a good starting point:

I'm also not entirely sure what I'm going to run into when I try and mount all that back together into the car!

That's a great tip about the bellhousing, I can't use the VDJ one so I'll bear this in mind when I'm looking!

This has been an info overload at every step, but I'm loving the learning curve and finally getting close to a solution, after being pretty overwhelmed at the start!

Hope that all makes sense, I've tried to be thorough for other readers also, but it feels like a bit of a brain dump too!

Please let me know if you see any glaring mistakes or incorrect assumptions!

Hi Pilbara,

That's some good info, thank you!

Since posting this I've ended up getting my hands on a fairly new (2019, 110,000 kms) H152 box (taller 5th gear) from a VDJ79, so the scope has changed a little bit. That was taken with everything out during an auto conversion and came with a good HD clutch, flywheel and all the cylinders etc. That's all on a 14 tooth spline but since it's nearly everything I need, I'm now planning on swapping the longer 14 spline VDJ input shaft (too long to cut down) with a 14 spline HDJ80 shaft, machining the flywheel, popping in a new throw-out bearing and spigot bearing and using that set up as-is. (This is basically the same route I'm taking as well VDJ79 H150 into HDJ80? - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/vdj79-h150-into-hdj80.1140821/#post-12395413)

I have the stock 275mm flywheel atm on the 21 fine spline shaft, but I believe the 300mm flywheel has the same radius, just a bigger friction surface. I would love to clarify that before I start buying parts.. (Not sure on this, that's why i went for the FZJ75 HD 275mm clutch.)

This does leave me without a transfer so far though. I'm now considering just swapping the input shaft (or shaft and gear - I'm not sure how to find out which input configuration I need, but I guess I have the full manual HF1A) in my current one as that seems to be otherwise fine (230k kms, recently pulled down by Cross Country for seals etc). I don't want to give up the part time set up.. I've heard mixed reviews about how hard this is to do for a handy novice, but so far it's leaning towards do-able, on par with the input shaft for the box - do you have any idea? (Yes I think it is doable and straightforward, I would say that the input shaft changeover is a slightly more advanced just looking at my open H150 versus transfer cases I've worked on in the past.)

Figuring out the parts for the transfer input might be my biggest remaining mystery! I think this part below might be the key, but honestly I have no idea so I'm gonna have to make a phone call or two perhaps.. (This is one of those info gathering items for sure, I haven't even sighted my transfer internals on the R151 HF2A yet but discounted doing that shaft as the thought of another person driving my 105 and hitting the H4 button not knowing if the hubs were engaged or not frightens the hell out of me, at least with our HF1A transfers we can feel our way in and out of H4 gently and fast if we feel some rotating teeth growling at us, not so with the part time kits except for some clever lockout method I've yet to see.)
Which looks the same as this (I'm assuming is for my car):

If you have any good resources for the input shaft swap on either box I'd love to hear them :)

I found this for the older boxes, but I figure it should be a good starting point:

I'm also not entirely sure what I'm going to run into when I try and mount all that back together into the car! (I think you'll be fine, it has been done a few times with the Pov pack wagons but the GXL is loaded with oddities like height and position of the transfer shifter for the console, I'm having to use a HDJ transfer shifter arm but an 80 series low range lockout which requires a few mods to use a HF1A where the HDJ's are normally a HF2A, it's a bit of a pain but will work ok in the end, yours should pretty much bolt up from what I've seen, there is at least one Aussie user on here who did what you are doing. Hope this link is legal, couldn't see anything about helpful links in the rules here hzj 105 1HZ R151 to H151 conversion - https://www.exploroz.com/forum/103115/hzj-105-1hz-r151-to-h151-conversion )

That's a great tip about the bellhousing, I can't use the VDJ one so I'll bear this in mind when I'm looking!

This has been an info overload at every step, but I'm loving the learning curve and finally getting close to a solution, after being pretty overwhelmed at the start!

Hope that all makes sense, I've tried to be thorough for other readers also, but it feels like a bit of a brain dump too!

Please let me know if you see any glaring mistakes or incorrect assumptions! (I face the same woes but it's getting closer to reality...)

I think I got clarification on the flywheel being the same physical size, just the dowels are in different spots for the relevant clutch. So having a 300mm wheel and clutch should work fine, which is handy..

Thanks for the link to the Exploroz post. That was actually the first post I found that gave me any confidence in attempting this whole mission and has been a life saving reference along the way! That's a great post you shared by Wedgetail in here too, thanks!

It's good to know it should all line up in the cab - and yeah I share your concerns about going to a full time transfer in my rig!

I'm still tempted to source a HDJ7X or HZJ80 part time transfer case - it's just a bit of unknown versus my known good one. But buying one and selling mine could work out cheaper, and a day or two less head scratching in the shed, unless I buy a dud...

I already bought a Mark's part time conversion kit for a purchase of a full time transfer that (I think for the best after all) fell through at the last second, so I guess I'll be selling that on at some point!

I add in my experience , that might help you ,
swapped a HZ1 motor , R151,and part time transfer for HDT H151 and full time transfer .
very happy of having permanent 4 WD against 2WD every day , much more stability and better cornering .
pls be aware that in order to keep the right RPM/speed you must reggae the diff crown and pinion .
once done that you have a 80 HDT motore and full drive line , that works very nicely

Update for you JamieTheMonk. I completed the mod of attaching the H150 box to my HZJ105 but ran into some major issues with the FZJ105 clutch disc causing extreme gearbox rattling with clutch released in neutral, the petrol disc has stiff rubber dampeners instead of soft diesel springs so I rang NPC clutches and they sent me a stock diesel 275mm disc fitted with 14 spline centre which ended the rattle, the special order disc cost me $395 plus freight and was sent out to me within a couple of hours and arrived here in Cairns two days later.
Two other things I also found out was that the HF1A transfer case I bought which was attached to the H150 VDJ box had every single tooth on the bottom high range gear chipped off and howling its head off on the highway, upon splitting it I found that all chips had been removed (bar one) so the seller knew about it, I found out that in these VDJ transfer cases there is a lot of wobble in the shifter fork and synchro hub arrangement that allows contact with the edge of the teeth and they were actually imprinted on the forward side on the sliding hub, the tooth chips had damaged all of the other gears in the transfer with the input shaft teeth barely touched so I removed it and stoned the minor chip damage and fitted the gear to my original HZJ105 HF2A fulltime transfer to get me back on the road and it only has the original high mile worn in noises now. The H150 also has a whine in 1st and 2nd gear, I was suspicious once i opened the box to convert to the H151 input shaft and HDJ gear linkages because it became obvious that the box had already been opened, I would say to everyone buying secondhand to be extremely cautious, there is no way to check internals properly without a strip down and my mistake was in believing the seller, i'm a heavy diesel fitter and machinist by trade and i got well and truly done, it was cheap enough but it is the inconvenience and fact that i was lied to that hurt the most. I'll tell you what though, while the HF1A was fitted it felt so good without the backlash of this old HF2A and all of the front axles/diff backlashes added to the mix and the steering was noticeably lighter.
Hope your project is progressing well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom