What Did You Do with Your 80 This Weekend? (84 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

My awesome wife took my 80 to get all of the windows (minus the windshield) tinted.

37945CD2-AD38-4FB2-8DCD-007201E3FE78.jpeg

B890287B-79F8-4158-A6B7-6627F819DD1B.jpeg

027B33F8-9EB0-48B9-9368-DF436DAD4948.jpeg

Having a blast fishing this wire! :)
Note no beer is in this photo as both hands and at least one foot are engaged in this battle.

View attachment 3037471
Did the motor break? Hope you didn’t do all this just to replace the mast. the antenna mast just unscrews and you can replace the piece inside. Here it is same process on the 80

Did the motor break? Hope you didn’t do all this just to replace the mast. the antenna mast just unscrews and you can replace the piece inside. Here it is same process on the 80

Thanks for the great link! No, not just the mast unfortunately. The smooth white cord inside broke on my 1994, which is not a readily available part. With the replacement options limited for that component, and for not much more $ just decided to change the whole assembly to have 28 year newer motor and plastic bits. It wasn't the easiest job, but as I had the dash open to change bulbs & radio, it just took some patience, rather than time and made sense to knock it out. I did order a new mast as well figuring a car wash would consume the spare someday :)

FYI for others: there are two plastic clips inside the dash that held the antenna wire in place - one behind the radio and one behind the ECU above the glovebox. Both required pushing a wire harness aside to see it. Thanks to the mudder to recommended using the original to fish a line through for the replacement - couldn't have done it without that tip!!

Last edited:
My first off-road driving experience, natural reserve area with a bit of rock climbing part of a navigation course I'm taking.
It got a bit harry going in the soft sand on the way in the reserve, so much to learn !

Need to get myself some proper equipment for this sort of stuff.

It was very hot today about 37 degrees Celsius (in the Canyon it was more of course) my 2 phones overheated and went into protection mode ....

View attachment 3037541View attachment 3037543

View attachment 3037557

View attachment 3037558
I would suggest, at a minimum, bringing a friend in another vehicle. Twice the fun but, getting stranded (literally in Egypt) is not fun and can be dangerous. We have the same issues here in the Southwest, horrible heat and when it is hot, there will be little chance that anyone happens upon you and your situation if it all goes bad. At the very least, make sure to bring a minimum of 5 gallons of water per person and the ability to communicate with the outside world.

A few years back the ignition switch lock in my LX450 failed so I replaced with Toyota since that was all the was available. I really didn't like needing two keys for one vehicle so I decided to buy new Toyota door locks from Partsouq and re-key them. About the same time I found a complete used Toyota lockset locally so I bought that for the rear hatch and glove box locks.

My son is into locks and he wanted to re-key them so I let him have at it. Took him a couple hours to re-key all four locks. He did such a good job that I let him install all of them in the LX450. Now all are keyed the same.

IMG_0575 (2).jpg

IMG_0577 (2).jpg

I would suggest, at a minimum, bringing a friend in another vehicle. Twice the fun but, getting stranded (literally in Egypt) is not fun and can be dangerous. We have the same issues here in the Southwest, horrible heat and when it is hot, there will be little chance that anyone happens upon you and your situation if it all goes bad. At the very least, make sure to bring a minimum of 5 gallons of water per person and the ability to communicate with the outside world.

Hi Azca thanks for the great advice, I was not alone we where a group of 4 (1 guide and the other is police special force trainer survival / navigation with GPS / satellite phone, survival gear etc.)

We also passed on our navigation points / route to the natural reserve team responsible before going in.

Plenty of water to last us 2 days as well, we ended helping out a couple of campers as well as very thirsty dogs !

More GSMTR fun. Thanks @Bryanseye for leading the way.
DSC_0154.JPG
DSC_0233.JPG
DSC_0238.JPG
DSC_0384.JPG
DSC_0587.JPG

Also met up with @bonestock for a few drinks.
IMG_7037.jpg

I stuck my Go Pro on the car's hood for part of the trip to Wadi Degla reserve.
Its my first upload so be gentle! No music or editing just 17 mins of footage of nice scenery.

I did replace a lot of stuff after the video (under carriage mostly hence the loud noises) and that banging noise was the net above the car got that tightened as well.

Yeah LC Phil and wits end are both out of the specialty bypass hose. I used the Gates 28467 which is readily available.
Found the 28470 for the same price ($10) - same thing, but 12” more on the long end, which I’ll use for the straight hose. With the price of gas, every small victory counts 🍻

Replaced starter with larger 2 kw unit and went for a mountain bike ride.

View attachment 3037617

View attachment 3037618
Weather has been so nice lately. Pioneer rd, or up at Eaglecrest?

I’ve been on my skiff a bunch lately. 80 looks good at the launch ramp, but more fun driving on the beach launching at Tee harbor. Had an absolutely unreal orca show Thursday evening.. well over a hour floating off Portland island, alone, while they taught their calf to hunt a sea lion in circles around us, and one swam just below the hull. Got it all on video.

12C2DB22-2115-4810-8318-14F932EF23C9.jpeg

81F26976-B9C7-463E-8A7F-E0E701F015C9.jpeg

561F8049-C284-45BC-ACFC-3C1FC1F59119.jpeg

As for projects, when parts arrive, I’m redoing the valve cover gasket with OEM (PO used a cheapo or did a poor job), and bypassing rear heater.

Last edited:
how big is your boat? I'd be concerned they were going to teach their baby how to tip over a boat and eat a tasty dog and hairless monkey :eek:

I’ve been on my skiff a bunch lately. 80 looks good at the launch ramp, but more fun driving on the beach launching at Tee harbor. Had an absolutely unreal orca show Thursday evening.. well over a hour floating off Portland island, alone, while they taught their calf to hunt a sea lion in circles around us, and one swam just below the hull. Got it all on video.

View attachment 3038765

View attachment 3038766

View attachment 3038770

As for projects, when parts arrive, I’m redoing the valve cover gasket with OEM (PO used a cheapo or did a poor job), and bypassing rear heater.
Those pics are amazing. I need to go there badly. All I can find is river otters

.As for projects, when parts arrive, I’m redoing the valve cover gasket with OEM (PO used a cheapo or did a poor job), and bypassing rear heater.
Pioneer Road this time. Your photos are excellent. What a treat! Did they catch the sea lion?
I should do valve cover and distributor O ring, for starters.

This is happening. I'm swapping out the oily looking t-case with the merely dirt crusted one. The one I've pulled has bearings that are going out. I've thought that it was original with the 80 but finding the labeling on it I think it may have come from a junk yard. Our 80 has ca. 320k miles on it and we picked it up when it had ca. 125k on it so if this t-case is not original then original must have been damaged and replaced.

Pulling out the t-case has been a real pain because of the bulk and mass of the t-case. There may be only 6 bolts and few wire connections to undo but unless it's coming straight off the transmission output shaft it's not going to come off easily.

IMG_8170.jpg
IMG_8171.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom