Builds 76 Fj40 Face Lift (14 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I think @Drake has a 4spd shift tower listed in classifieds.
Not sure that’s the right MUD Member. His profile says last seen in 2008. Different Drake?

Rattle can rehab turned out OK. You know the routine. Before/After. @TeamJB

IMG_3229.JPG

IMG_3235.JPG

Last edited:
Clean/treated/painted the top cover on the Trans.

Before/After.

The remaining hardware is inbound so I should be able to button it up in the next few days.

IMG_3236.JPG

IMG_3237.JPG

IMG_3242.JPG

Switched out the bulb in my under-dash light to LED. Tested during full daylight. Quite a bit of difference. The last pic is with the lense in place Light off. I'll try another pic later to see what it looks like in low light conditions.

IMG_3243.JPG

IMG_3244.JPG

IMG_3248.JPG

Last edited:
Still soaking the hinge hardware. I think I "bought" some movement using the Vessel. Just enough clearance to use a hypodermic body and inject the Kroil onto the threads. They are defiantly frozen in place 🤬.

IMG_3249.JPG

@65swb45

Mark -Apologies... I've missed your call twice. I'm demolishing part of my front porch/stairs and rebuilding. So I'm not totting my phone around.

UPDATE: I found a set of metal bottoms for the front turn signals to rehab my old ones. I wont need the left turn signal after-all. Also found a shift tower for the 4-spd.
What I do need, if you have anything in inventory, is the 4-spd linkage. REF up a couple post and you can see what I do have. I'm looking for everything else.

Again, apologies for the missed call(s). I'll try you 1st thing in the AM your time (0800-ish).

One last thing in passing. I've been following your hiking/explorations and I think I have something that every great explorer has that you are missing. I'll drop it in the post in the next day or so (porch/stair dependent).

Last edited:
I don’t have that connector linkage Jeff; I’m short myself. I’ve been collecting parts to put some floorshift kits together and haven’t put one full kit on the shelf yet, even though I have as many as 10 of one part. GLWS

Dont bother trying to reach me at 8; I will be on the side of another mountain.😊

I don’t have that connector linkage Jeff; I’m short myself. I’ve been collecting parts to put some floorshift kits together and haven’t put one full kit on the shelf yet, even though I have as many as 10 of one part. GLWS

Dont bother trying to reach me at 8; I will be on the side of another mountain.😊

Aye Captain…

I’m following and somewhat living vicariously through your overland treks. But, I think the one thing that separates you from Mallory, Norgay and “myself“ is a really cool piece of headgear. Yep, every intrepid explorer I can recall from the last 500-600 years, has sported a really cool bit of headress. Lewis and Clark, Ponce De Leon, and Elmer Fudd have all had a singularity when it comes to their cranial covering.

So sir, I feel it my duty, to bring you into the fold….Coming USPS to you soon.

Aye Captain…

I’m following and somewhat living vicariously through your overland treks. But, I think the one thing that separates you from Mallory, Norgay and “myself“ is a really cool piece of headgear. Yep, every intrepid explorer I can recall from the last 500-600 years, has sported a really cool bit of headress. Lewis and Clark, Ponce De Leon, and Elmer Fudd have all had a singularity when it comes to their cranial covering.

So sir, I feel it my duty, to bring you into the fold….Coming USPS to you soon.
Have you seen my canvas hat?
52E8B541-4931-4242-B59E-15356BF14D31.jpeg

Last edited:
Houston, I have a problem.

It's an H2O insurgency, the vapor scourge, the dreaded humidity infiltration. Unusually humid here on the mountain top (Foot hill to you folks on the divide) for this time of year. My AC vents run exposed in my garage and man-cave. With all the precip, hot and warm conditions, every time I open the garage door the condensation monster comes crawling.

To the extent that after an hour today I was mopping up moisture off of the T-Case/Trans. Pretty sure neither have ever been exposed to back east humidity. So, I popped the top cover and gasket on the T-case, Put a coat of oil on surfaces I thought were susceptible to flash rusting as a preemptive strike. Also, plugged all the ingress/egress outlets. Bolted up the PTO cover sans gasket etc etc etc.

I may need to mate these two pieces together and fill with oil. As of now I'm short a 4spd shift tower to button up the Trans. I'll post an add in classifieds and see if I can round one up.

Thought about wrapping everything up and sneaking it into the closet.

I may have to relocate everything west into a more stable environment. Open for suggestions, comments or remediation. Cosmoline and vacuum seal.. :rolleyes:

View attachment 3034925

View attachment 3034926
Thats what I did. Coated the internals with some straight wt as well, added a little grease to the shafts and crossed my fingers. I doubt that metal has ever seen anything like the humidity here back east. Usually, this type of moisture is relegated to a couple weeks in AUG. This year, we've had consistent rain interspersed with bright warm days. Every spring in the county is pumping water.

Reminds me I'm behind on the sheep dip (fluid film)...Crickey Mate, I may have just answered my own question as far as the external surfaces.
Hey Jeff
If your looking for a better way to protect those parts. I have a suggestion. It doesn’t smell like stinky snatch fluid film and especially if your going to hide it in the closet you may get into big trouble. One who is un-named may think your hiding a girl some whereabouts. @Jdc1 and I use a product call Boeshield T-9. Backstory is Boeing developed it for their large castings they store outside in the PNW. They wanted something they could spray on for protection but that could be removed with a strong detergent when they wanted to weld on it. It works well, is safe on paint and plastic and can be removed using dish soap when you want to paint. It can be purchased by the gallon on Amazon. It’s pricey but it goes a long way. Don’t forget to get an upside down spray bottle so you can put it everywhere. I use it on my frame and exposed metal all over my truck. It dries to a mat finish. I included a quick pic of one of the tie rod ends I sprayed like 3 years ago. I just recently cleaned up my truck and hit it with a blue scrubby and reapplied the Boeshield

B3EFEBC5-3AD7-4CB2-B1E5-C73593DEB676.jpeg

That sounds awesome. 🏆

Gotta‘ love the aircraft industry. I’ll give that a try. I’ve been wiping it down every other day or so with oil which is a PITB…

How does it hold up on your undercarriage?

Hey Jeff
If your looking for a better way to protect those parts. I have a suggestion. It doesn’t smell like stinky snatch fluid film and especially if your going to hide it in the closet you may get into big trouble. One who is un-named may think your hiding a girl some whereabouts. @Jdc1 and I use a product call Boeshield T-9. Backstory is Boeing developed it for their large castings they store outside in the PNW. They wanted something they could spray on for protection but that could be removed with a strong detergent when they wanted to weld on it. It works well, is safe on paint and plastic and can be removed using dish soap when you want to paint. It can be purchased by the gallon on Amazon. It’s pricey but it goes a long way. Don’t forget to get an upside down spray bottle so you can put it everywhere. I use it on my frame and exposed metal all over my truck. It dries to a mat finish. I included a quick pic of one of the tie rod ends I sprayed like 3 years ago. I just recently cleaned up my truck and hit it with a blue scrubby and reapplied the Boeshield

View attachment 3040097

That sounds awesome. 🏆

Gotta‘ love the aircraft industry. I’ll give that a try. I’ve been wiping it down every other day or so with oil which is a PITB…

How does it hold up on your undercarriage?
Unlike the sheep oils, it is on there until a solvent is used to take it off. It also creeps better.

Unlike the sheep oils, it is on there until a solvent is used to take it off. It also creeps better.
Here is a pic of it as a fresh application last week. Because I used soap I just misted it again. We’ve been using it for like 5 years and doesn’t seem like any new rust at all

7C58D442-28D1-4C43-AE2A-DADC44EC9CA2.jpeg

Here is a pic of it as a fresh application last week. Because I used soap I just misted it again. We’ve been using it for like 5 years and doesn’t seem like any new rust at all

View attachment 3040577
And don’t worry about
It gettin on the paint it actually protects it
And you can use a good carnauba wax and they love each other

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom