Strongest roof rack using all 6 mounts? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Been reading through several roof rack threads but I don’t see which brands use all 6 mount locations for additional strength. Let me know if there is another better option for increased load rating.

Bowfin does
3D331703-3C0C-417D-8DAF-9E191967502A.jpeg

Anyone know the tube thickness and alloy type of the Gamiviti rack? Will the tube deform from clamping?

I guess the worry about the modular roof racks is that they shake apart eventually. Is this an unfounded idea or do you need to retighten nuts and bolts once in a while?

I like the idea the Gamiviti is one welded piece.

On the other hand I’ve heard people saying the tubular style roof rack can deform when clamped firmly. Is there any truth to that?

I guess the worry about the modular roof racks is that they shake apart eventually. Is this an unfounded idea or do you need to retighten nuts and bolts once in a while?

I like the idea the Gamiviti is one welded piece.

On the other hand I’ve heard people saying the tubular style roof rack can deform when clamped firmly. Is there any truth to that?
The rattling apart can be solved by using thread lock on the nuts and bolts.

Eezy-Awn K9 does.

6 mounting points does not mean more mod carrying capacity. Toyota lists the max roof rack load at 150# primarily because of the dynamics and loading associated with actually driving.

Unless an aftermarket company can provide some sort of formal engineering analysis indicating that the sheetmetal on the roof can sustain more than 150# while driving, I would be hesitant to load up with more than that.

Static loading while parked is something completely different.

US market rack is rated at 150 lbs. Roof itself is rated at 200 kg (440 lbs) dynamic. I’ve certainly had more static weight up there without issue.

US market rack is rated at 150 lbs. Roof itself is rated at 200 kg (440 lbs) dynamic. I’ve certainly had more static weight up there without issue.
Is that listed somewhere?

@04UZJ100 it was listed in Toyota AU sales material under specifications/technical specs.

I had read that the AU market doesn’t use the forward most set like the US did due to the structural differences or lack of integrity. Could be legit….
Almost all racks are going to use the “factory“ six and you’ll be cutting the trim or removing it to get to the original “front” set.

Some companies use the front set in the US, and some use all four per side.

When I got my Rhino Rack feet I also got a set of roof mouldings for an LX470, it has the three AU openings and came with the covers for the holes also.

The trim hadn’t arrived before we left but you can see the ”feet location” differences here.

7597B3FE-5AD2-44AB-B8B0-43F58DF85A95.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom