Family FJ Build : '76 40 Resto/Frame Off (a.k.a. the Japanese Baby Buggy) (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Quiet on the "work to do" front now that's it's winter, but took a couple hours while it was snowing out the other day and jammed together a photo book...finally showed up today. Filled it right up, 140 pages...will be neat to keep with the rig.

It was fun to page through at as well, even though I took the pictures and made the book...there's something different about turning actual pages.

View attachment 2857687View attachment 2857689View attachment 2857690
I've been meaning to do this for some time. Very cool.

Back on the video-editing bandwagon - fun winter project, kind of like the photobook. (Photobook was through Google Photos, btw...but mainly as all the build photos were already uploaded there, and I had a few other projects that used their book format.)

Picking things back up from July with the paintwork...I sure don't miss the mess.

Love the progress!
I was just wondering, will road salt eat through a quality layer of paint if applied properly?
I'd think it's more all the pinch seams and pockets. These seem to have lots of nooks and crannies to catch the salt up here in the north...this is actually the second time it got a frame-off, once before in '88. 😅

I did seam seal pretty well before paint, but at this point it's relegated to summer duty after going thru this full restoration... basically first rain to first snow. I do miss driving it in the snow, but the JK tides me over there.

Chugged through another batch of video footage stashed away - kind of fun to rewatch the ol' 2F go back together. Between 'Mud and the FSM, it's not a bad job. Slow and steady wins the race...kind of like a 40 with a 2F. 😆

Really enjoying your youtube vids, very educational and entertaining. I could watch you "dunk" new and refurbished parts in your rig for hours, and have.
I admire your methodical and patient work. I lost track of how many times I would have turned the camera off to swear or throw something.
It took me a while to find this thread, I searched "lone Wolf" after you mentioned Mud on a video, then saw Japanese Baby buggy and bingo.
I'm also partial to 76's, my Feb. '76 is 218787
Really outstanding work on a family heirloom.

Appreciate it - it's been interesting going back and editing the footage. Almost taking as long as the actual project. Haven't posted everything here, but there is a Full Playlist . Getting to the short list of editing left...hardtop assembly, door assembly, and then some final odds and ends/recap stuff. I wish I'd have gotten more of the early work on video, but it was a bit harder in the winter with an unheated shop.

Headliner today - definitely recommend the small short-nap paint roller.

Passed 1000 miles since the resto/rebuild (pulled in the shop at 20883)...so far so good. Had one loose fastener on the bib-to-fender mounting, and needed to re-adjust the clutch, but pretty solid so far all things considered.

Digging the recent stealth cruise control mod too...my right foot is lazy I guess. 😆

PXL_20220613_034118958.MP.jpg

I have watched your entire series on YouTube and was flabbergasted…this is some amazing work. Once again I say congratulations on a superior job. (Luthier47)

I have watched your entire series on YouTube and was flabbergasted…this is some amazing work. Once again I say congratulations on a superior job. (Luthier47)
Much appreciated...still editing away. I think the editing is going to take as long as the actual project! 😆

Been tuning on the Sniper - initial settings were conservatively rich. I also had a bit of an acceleration stumble, but only right after a cold start. Managed to tune out the stumble, and tweaking the target AFRs a bit better upped my MPG from 10-11 to 14...not too shabby. We'll see how the next tank fares.

My sniper arrived a few days ago… I may ask to pick your brain on those settings…. Holley tricked me (LOL) there is a quick start manual..but the actual manual took 79 pages to print… I’m sure there is a bunch of helpful information in those pages so I had to print it.…in color too! Walked away for an hour at least

Luckily, things have been quiet since re-assembly, other than replacing the rear transfer case seal and parking brake shoes.

Just for giggles, Wisconsin allows selective/occasional use of YoM (year of manufacture) plates...so I ordered up some replica plates matching the original registration.

Still need to edit the last set of footage too...just a bit left on the memory cards on the final assembly.

8558.jpg

PXL_20230507_002458078.MP.jpg

Dude, you’re an animal.

Just finished your thread after finding it last night.

I’d buy a copy of your photo book if you’d be open to it. It would be an inspirational tome to have tucked in with my manuals.

Great job and thank you for documenting it.

Ian

ZTD, does the Wisconsin government sell those replica plates, or did you order them elsewhere? I would like to do the same here in Washington, but haven't found a plate source yet. I have lots of old plates that would work, but I also would like to match the original plate numbers.

Andrew

@RevISK - appreciate it, it was an interesting project for sure. Dropped you a message.

@Andrew S - it was aftermarket. They're a bit spendy, but it is a one-off item, so it comes with the territory. All in all, pretty well done. - the stamping and vinyl is good. The alu' is a smidge lighter I think, but pretty minor. Looks like they do the WA style used through '78, might work:

**Technically** Wisconsin ran a red-on-white plate from 73-79, but did the more iconic black-on-yellow that they used from 68-72 and 80- until recalled in '93. I do have a set of those with different numbers as well, but I figured I'd get the original numbers since I had that registration slip still.

Wisconsin_license_plate,_1976.png

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom