Rear Driveshaft - Rebuild or Replace? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

PabloCruise

SILVER Star
Threads
The rear u-joint on the rear shaft on our LX makes a squeak-squeak noise when the :princess: backs out of the garage.

I thought about sending it out to the local driveline repair shop, but then I heard they will use Spicer joints vs. Toyota to rebuild.

Then I called our friendly neighborhood Toyota parts counter and got a quote for $450 for a new rear shaft. Ugh. That was more than I was hoping to pay.

Thoughts?

There is some play in the splined section as well. LX has ~213k miles.

Can you not provide the OEM joint for the shop to install?
I can, and I thought that might run me $250 for the work + $140 for the u-joints = $390, which is getting close to new.

Wow, I was mistaken! Local repair = $410 w/ their u-joints. If I bring my own joints, they charge $390, plus the $140 for Toyota u-joints.

Guess I am calling the parts counter back!

I can, and I thought that might run me $250 for the work + $140 for the u-joints = $390, which is getting close to new.

Wow, I was mistaken! Local repair = $410 w/ their u-joints. If I bring my own joints, they charge $390, plus the $140 for Toyota u-joints.

Guess I am calling the parts counter back!
That’s crazy. Bills Englewood charged me about $90 in labor to replace u joints and were happy to use my supplied joints from Toyota. But if you have spline wear anyway I’d say get a new one. Check online pricing at Stevenson, it is cheaper than calling the dealer.

Is stapp your local dealer?

WOW, is that the I really don't want to do it price, but if you pay it I'll do the work?

is that price for just changing 2 u-joints? any other work?

That’s crazy. Bills Englewood charged me about $90 in labor to replace u joints and were happy to use my supplied joints from Toyota. But if you have spline wear anyway I’d say get a new one. Check online pricing at Stevenson, it is cheaper than calling the dealer.

Good call. Is Derek still our parts guy at Stevenson?
I have not been down to a meeting in a while!

I am situated between Pederson and McDonald. Before McDonald bought it I could get decent pricing at the parts counter, then they went to "demand matrix pricing" - not good!

You might be onto something - thanks!
It looks like the Stevinson website is quoting $420 for the rear shaft. My price locally was $450...

I have a VM in w/ Derek now.

We took the LX out for Father's Day dinner over the weekend, there is a definite vibration at speed on the interstate - time to get after it!

I have a VM in w/ Derek now.

We took the LX out for Father's Day dinner over the weekend, there is a definite vibration at speed on the interstate - time to get after it!
Online pricing is better at Stevinson than what Derek can offer at the desk (even for RS members). So the days of RS/TLCA deals seems to be coming to an end...

But over $75 you get free shipping...

I have a friend interested in the old shaft for re-build as he dented his.
What are the differences between the 4 speed and 5 speed rear driveshafts?

IMG_1851(1).JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom