Hardware color? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Has anybody found a good paint color in an attempt to get SS bolts that brown/bronze OEM color?

Id appreciate ny/all advice.

Thanks
Rob

you mean like this ?

1655104697996.png

1655104730862.png

221004998454_01425 - Copy - Copy.jpg

Thanks Matt. Im pretty sure its painted and it much darker (read brown). Cant find a pic right now. STAND BY.

The problem with painting bolt heads is the paint chips off when you put a wrench on them and the extra thickness the paint adds can make getting a socket around them tricky.

If you want to be touching up bolts with new paint every time you’ve got to put a wrench on them and likely struggle to do it - then paint is the answer.

The gold/brown finish you see on the original Toyota bolts is yellow chromate finish applied to cadmium plated bolts.
When it’s new - it looks just like gold. When it gets old and dirty and oxidized- it looks brown.

Nobody applies a yellow chromate finish to stainless steel.
You can get black oxide or drab olive green oxide finish applied to stainless fasteners. That’s what the military uses / so there’s no shiny bolts.

Below is new cadmium plating on old parts with yellow chromate finish.
Replated old bolts never look as shiny as new bolts because the acid dip prior to plating etches the steel.

CE214933-8A0D-4C81-BE36-A9A00C4AAC4F.jpeg
AFA888C6-F84F-4F71-8B5E-184A7AF0F54F.jpeg

Last edited:
The company I am using does zinc coating on stainless bolts for one customer. They are "normal" blue color zinc but can be done as yellow also. What is the point on putting zinc on stainless is hard to tell jut it can be done.

And for the starter of the thread. Try to find right color powder coat. It does not chip so easily and does not add so much thickness on the bolt. I have powdercoated myself some ss screws and it works nice.

Thanks gentlemen. I'm talking about this stuff . . .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom