100 Series Attic Shelf Bracket Availability (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Post install report after 1 week "overland" trip northwest of Lake Tahoe: this is an excellent mod.

It does not interfer with review mirror use. Can hold all sorts of smaller items for protection/easy reach, like laptops, hats, jackets, etc. stuff stays up there.

I approve this post:)

Hey everyone sorry for the delay. Brackets are in hand and once I get home this weekend, possibly sooner, I’ll start knocking out some sets and shipping them out next week. I actually have a couple of later years packaged so I’ll be reaching out to a couple of you sooner than later.

The large portion of these runs will be for the 98-02 with different handle orientations.

Hey everyone sorry for the delay. Brackets are in hand and once I get home this weekend, possibly sooner, I’ll start knocking out some sets and shipping them out next week. I actually have a couple of later years packaged so I’ll be reaching out to a couple of you sooner than later.

The large portion of these runs will be for the 98-02 with different handle orientations.
I honestly don’t remember if I added my name to the list or not, so sorry if this is a duplicate, but please add me to the waiting list for a ‘98.

Thanks,

Tim

Quick update and a look into how one of the parts is made for those who are interested. 4 kits are made and heading out the door now/Monday/Tuesday. Parts for 13 additional kits are about halfway made as you can see below.
9F1C8F96-86A0-412F-BDB1-DE2A58503F55.jpeg

Raw Derlin stock is cut down to length on a portaband then faced on one side and chamfered so it runs true in the chuck as it’s faced on the other side.
B7760E63-C178-44ED-9D7D-1435603D1EA8.jpeg

The parts are made two at a time in one piece of stock then cut in half between them. The purpose of this while slightly wasteful is to provide enough surface area so the part does not slip in the chuck. Each pass is cut at .100” deep removing .200” off the part with each pass while advancing into the work at .078” per revolution at 1270 RPM. That’s damn fast on this little machine and I’ve found when clamping on the smaller feature or less of the larger diameter it tends to throw a good number parts which obviously ruins the parts.

E69AD767-0A5A-48C5-B129-0B136294F5F4.jpeg

1D633666-1AA7-452A-865B-95130AC9578D.jpeg

Last edited:
Those two parts are cut apart on the bandsaw again then faced to final length using a shop made tool. It’s a MT3 taper that’s tapped 1/4 20 that gets drifted into the headstock. It lets me set to depth of the part .050” per revolution of the screw inside the chuck. I need only to dial in the first part, check the next two or three, then I lock the carriage and I can cut the parts down to size in one cut without even measuring.
72251D8D-AB3B-4FBC-B502-427BE5B7A4E0.jpeg

Parts are then center drilled and drilled using a special plastic specific drill bit (6.1mm for a great fit on the 6mm fastener). All outside chamfers are done by hand with files as it’s faster than using a chamfer tool. Inside chamfers are done on the lathe with the tail stock. And here are the finished parts ready to go into a kit and out to you folks!
88218012-3742-4E67-A95D-A32D7D35BC9D.jpeg

Those two parts are cut apart on the bandsaw again then faced to final length using a shop made tool. It’s a MT3 taper that’s tapped 1/4 20 that gets drifted into the headstock. It lets me set to depth of the part .050” per revolution of the screw inside the chuck. I need only to dial in the first part, check the next two or three, then I lock the carriage and I can cut the parts down to size in one cut without even measuring.
View attachment 3032554
Parts are then center drilled and drilled using a special plastic specific drill bit (6.1mm for a great fit on the 6mm fastener). All outside chamfers are done by hand with files as it’s faster than using a chamfer tool. Inside chamfers are done on the lathe with the tail stock. And here are the finished parts ready to go into a kit and out to you folks!
View attachment 3032558
Is there a close-up of these in use?

Is there a close-up of these in use?
1C8B90B6-E967-48F6-924E-C407DE059E59.jpeg

You really can’t see them in use but here is a picture of things mocked up on a work bench. The pins engage the trusses on the rack allowing left to right movement during assembly. These hold the rack on one side during assembly so you don’t have to balance and align all four corners to align screws.

View attachment 3032797
You really can’t see them in use but here is a picture of things mocked up on a work bench. The pins engage the trusses on the rack allowing left to right movement during assembly. These hold the rack on one side during assembly so you don’t have to balance and align all four corners to align screws.
Nice explanation, and really nice work as well. I’m fascinated with machining, though it’s totally outside of my expertise (I’m an urban forester/arborist).

For my purposes, I’m not sold on the attic rack application, but I really appreciate seeing how solving this question has gone. Thanks.

5D546A42-552A-4308-B121-D72E2DF40D4E.jpeg

All parts and hardware have been finished for this next batch of 13. All kits will be 98-02 in this run. I’ll be reaching out to those on my list starting Monday-Tuesday after I’m done with work and settled into my hotel for the night. Parts will then ship out later in the week when/if I’m home. Otherwise Saturday. I’ll be in the woods this weekend doing Father’s Day stuff with the fam. Hope all the dads of Mud enjoy their weekend! Cheers.

Hi, would like to he added to the next run for a 98.

Edit: I'll take one now, if they're available

Last edited:
[Deleted; posted in wrong thread] :oops:

Last edited:
Happy Sunday everyone! I've been sending out around 5-6 request at a time by either PM in Mud or email based on how you showed initial interest. I'll keep going down the list chronologically until this set is gone. Frankly some usernames show as having not logged into Mud this year and I've skipped those. As a reminder I'm making roughly 30 sets for 98-02 then roughly 5-10 sets for 02+. I'll be doing those in batches of 10-15 at a time. Past that I dont plan to make any more. Thank you everyone!

Nice explanation, and really nice work as well. I’m fascinated with machining, though it’s totally outside of my expertise (I’m an urban forester/arborist).

For my purposes, I’m not sold on the attic rack application, but I really appreciate seeing how solving this question has gone. Thanks.
I hear ya. I frankly didnt want one either but I decided to make one anyways just because people were talking about it. Now my wife can't live without one. We both have camp chores and she takes it upon herself to pack/unpack the tent/tarp, sleeping pads, pillows, towels, hiking poles, etc. which all live up in the attic. I might make one more for myself out of carbon fiber that pivots and lowers for easier access when the fridge is out. This would make her life easier but there are a lot of other projects that come first.

As for machining its just a hobby but its been really fun. I bought a used lathe for $730 that was broken and came with two broken motors. I fixed the lathe and both motors and make everything from windshield washer fluid T fittings to hyper expensive monster truck toys for my boys. I first caught the bug when I watched the Youtube channel This Old Tony. That guy is hilarious! How I need a mill! Lol.

^ Back in 'my day'...in junior high & high school, we had the option of full on metal shop including all things welding (OA, MIG, stick), all things lathes & milling machines, foundry, shaping, sheet metal and on and on. Ditto for Wood Shop. Ditto for Auto Shop. Even could have built a house...for the carpenter's trade.

My nephews and grandkids get nothing of the sort. Crazy *ucking school system...no wonder the trades are starved for, yeah, trades people.

Glad to hear you picked up metal working, etc.!

^ Back in 'my day'...in junior high & high school, we had the option of full on metal shop including all things welding (OA, MIG, stick), all things lathes & milling machines, foundry, shaping, sheet metal and on and on. Ditto for Wood Shop. Ditto for Auto Shop. Even could have built a house...for the carpenter's trade.

My nephews and grandkids get nothing of the sort. Crazy *ucking school system...no wonder the trades are starved for, yeah, trades people.

Glad to hear you picked up metal working, etc.!
Not trying to hijack but it is unfortunate that a lot of hands-on work is being removed from the education system. I guess I was lucky enough that the mechanical engineering department I was apart of had full machine shops with manual and automated machines. Other degrees did not have such a luxury. That was actually where my axle puller tool was born thanks to an excellent machine shop professor! It’s also what kick started my career in CNC & PLC control systems

AD3CAEA7-64C5-46E6-B414-400EFE50C963.jpeg

C8D76B59-E5F2-424B-B5A6-77550524E440.jpeg

9A845A11-BFCE-466B-8BF0-67AEFFEE70FE.jpeg

37097791-19AD-4831-BE45-F710BED0965C.jpeg

2E1594F2-5AB6-4101-BF32-C241B5033B59.jpeg

possible to get more photos of how transported? do the reels sit in the rack or rod ends interfere with hatch closing? this may be the selling point for me :)
I don't have any other photos at this time, but I put all of those rods in there this morning and have been driving around with them just fine all day. All of those rods are safe with the hatch closed, and they're your typical 6'6" to 7' medium power rods. I have some bigger saltwater rods with longer handles that I use for my catfish rigs, and those do interfere with the hatch.

For now, I just put a 4' bungee cord over the top of the shelf, and I just lift it to insert the rods. I don't think I have this whole thing perfected yet, but it seems to keep them pretty stationary when driving around town. It might be better to secure the front of the rods together with something like a velcro cable tie to keep them a little more planted when off-road.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom