Rooftop Tent on a 40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So wondering if folks are mounting RTT’s on their 40’s? What are you running and what rack too.

40's are already pretty tippy, but I would run a rtt for easy trips. I have a bunch of old yakima bars that would do the job, but if I wanted a rack for other things too, I would do a Gamiviti.

Gamiviti 40 racks

I recently got one for my 60. Can't wait to try my rtt on it.

i-Fthr2cv-L.jpg

Thanks for sharing this.

Anyone else? Want to see these setups! I am considering a Frontrunner rack and a 23 Zero Walkabout 56 RTT. It is quite light at 130 lbs. What does everyone think?

Anyone else? Want to see these setups! I am considering a Frontrunner rack and a 23 Zero Walkabout 56 RTT. It is quite light at 130 lbs. What does everyone think?

Personally, I wouldn't want to raise my center of gravity by running that much weight on the top of my lifted 40, but YMMV.

This is just for looks. I never slept in it or drove around with it very much. It was a prop on a photo shoot. It was quick to set up once it was on the racks, and comfortable to hang out in. It was mounted to Yakima racks.

IMG_1327.jpeg
IMG_1336.jpeg

Always wondered what it’s like in one of those in decent wind.

Personally, I wouldn't want to raise my center of gravity by running that much weight on the top of my lifted 40, but YMMV.
Appreciate your input👍 Not hip to the YMMV?? What is that? I get the center of gravity concern.

Never had a roof rack on an FJ40 but after the first time I took the hard top off and felt center of gravity difference would never run a RRT on a FJ40. I would sooner install one on a M416 a tow it along. No where I can take a FJ40 a M416 couldn't follow. Driving down the highway with a strong crosswind would feel safer with a small trailer. One of the scariest drives I ever experienced was in my folks 79 Odyssey motorhome built on a one ton Toyota cab and chassis. This was between Phoenix and Tucson in a dust storm. They replaced it with one built on GMC cab and chassis in 1983 so was a long time ago. The thought of raising center of gravity and adding height to catch the wind is something I would never do with an FJ40.

I would sooner install one on a M416 a tow it along.

That's exactly what I'm doing. I think it'd be easier to buy a m416, and just copy it to start over, then sell it when done using it as a template.

I'm putting Timbren axles under my 416. One, I like not having an actual axle between the tires. Two, super easy to get a hub to match the LC. It was a horse a piece whether to fix a few places on my frame, then modify it for the new axle or just start over. I went with start over.

Last edited:
Not hip to the YMMV?? What is that?

"Your Mileage May Vary", from the paper window stickers with mileage ratings of new cars. A smart-ass but relatively polite way of saying that you are perfectly entitled to hold your own opinion(s).

Edited to add: @Brian/99uzj100 beat me to it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom