Rear spring changeout 100 series (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Not all 100 series suspension are configured, as the one in your driveway ;)

I work on many different 100 series configuration. Most of the coils I replace, are on AHC system. Wherein when I replace with the longer Toyota AHC coils. I like to add 30MM spacers to each side (@PADDO first suggested this to me). Which is very nice combo to enhance ride and extend life of globes.

Toyota AHC coils w/30mm spacer are ~4" longer, than old stock LX.
View attachment 2816898

When dealing with AHC suspension, installing new OEM Land Cruiser coils and 30mm spacer. Either I use the spring compressor on DS or I "must" release not only drop down flexible brake line (unless longer SS flexables installed), but also the AHC height sensor adjuster arm. Which I prefer not to release either, as sometimes leads to a can of worms, eating up my time.

Personally I find it easier to use spring compressor, when I hit limit on AHC sensor arm and brake line. This only happens on driver side. In any case I never stretch either, especially the flexible brake lines, or it may rupture internally. :cry:
View attachment 2816922

Some fear the spring compressors, fearing they'll release and take their head off. Have no fear, when properly attached! Strut spring compressor (which is only type I have in my tool box) have locks. They do take setting up in just the right spot, to fit up in vehicle once on coil for install. Which for me is easy, as I've done dozens.

For most none AHC configurations, spring compressor is not needed. But when needed they're a time saver IMHO.

Tip:
I use a bottle jack to press down rear end, after releasing shock from lower end along cushion/collar from stabilizer bar, while jack/stand braces up diff/axle on opposite side to pivite off of..

Bottle jack, allows me to keep both hand free for R&R of coil, while closely watching brake line(s) and AHC adjustor for limits.

View attachment 2816932

No pics of the compressor you use in action?

I have the same setup. 2006 LC with AHC, 30mm rear spacers. No spring compressor needed to install. One banana job. My sensor arm isn't that stretched, I only unbolt the brake line mount on the frame above along with the sway links and shocks. Jack up the opposing side and push down with a little force on the droop side and the spring jumps out. Installing with the 30mm spacer takes a little more of a push down on the axle but it isn't nearly anything forceful.

Can't imagine that scenario is all that different between LCs.

Last edited:
I'm trying to make sense of an issue with my coils, looking for some wisdom here...

When I hopped off my bumper yesterday I heard a popping/ metal shifting type of noise

I got under the vehicle while someone bounced it up and down and I can see / hear / feel the rear right coil kind of popping .

It doesn't seem like something to leave me stranded and I don't notice it when I drive but what would cause this ?

The area appears clean and a shot of silicone lube was added to top and bottom today with no difference in symptoms

I'm trying to make sense of an issue with my coils, looking for some wisdom here...

When I hopped off my bumper yesterday I heard a popping/ metal shifting type of noise

I got under the vehicle while someone bounced it up and down and I can see / hear / feel the rear right coil kind of popping .

It doesn't seem like something to leave me stranded and I don't notice it when I drive but what would cause this ?

The area appears clean and a shot of silicone lube was added to top and bottom today with no difference in symptoms

Popping from where? Easy to identify just by placing a rod/wrench/etc. against surfaces to pinpoint source.
There is a rubber sleeve on the OE spring on the last coil that sits on the axle but I doubt that's it because it would have to lift off the axle mount to make a popping noise.

Popping from where? Easy to identify just by placing a rod/wrench/etc. against surfaces to pinpoint source.
There is a rubber sleeve on the OE spring on the last coil that sits on the axle but I doubt that's it because it would have to lift off the axle mount to make a popping noise.
So the rubber on the bottom side, the cone looking thing, is in good shape. The popping feels to be coming from the top but it reverbs through the coil.

When someone pushes up and down on the bumper I can put my hand on the coil and feel it. Left side does not have this symptom. I don't think it will leave me stranded but I'm just trying to figure out what the cause is.

I have this same sound from my R side coil. I have King springs on AHC suspension. I'm don't have the spring isolator pad between the coil and axle mount. I thought this might solve my issue if I added it. I would love to figure out this popping sound.

I have this same sound from my R side coil. I have King springs on AHC suspension. I'm don't have the spring isolator pad between the coil and axle mount. I thought this might solve my issue if I added it. I would love to figure out this popping sound.
Hmmm interesting, so we're probably just dealing with metal on metal or in my case possibly a worn isolator up top.

After bumping down some back roads the noise has gone away when I rock the truck back and forth by hand.

Anyway, I stopped at the mechanic this AM who did the install and he wasn't too concerned. If I wanted to I could replace the rubber up top and he said he would probably quiet it down but sometimes when it flexes you hear things move a bit.

I can live with that, just didn't want it to leave me broken down. Now that I know the noise I can even sort of hear it when reversing, and I tap the brakes. The ass end sort of lifts up and you can hear a little noise.

If that's the only concern I have in life then I guess I'm doing OK

After bumping down some back roads the noise has gone away when I rock the truck back and forth by hand.

Anyway, I stopped at the mechanic this AM who did the install and he wasn't too concerned. If I wanted to I could replace the rubber up top and he said he would probably quiet it down but sometimes when it flexes you hear things move a bit.

I can live with that, just didn't want it to leave me broken down. Now that I know the noise I can even sort of hear it when reversing, and I tap the brakes. The ass end sort of lifts up and you can hear a little noise.

If that's the only concern I have in life then I guess I'm doing OK

Just to clarify, the "isolator" I and @Seth7843 are speaking of is at the bottom of the spring where it sits atop the axle. It's simply a rubber type sleeve the is placed on the last coil that actually sits on the axle perch. This is where I think your noise may be coming from. Not the "top" as you keep noting.

I just so happen to be installing Kings this weekend and removing the almost brand new AHC springs with spacers (which will go up for sale). Will be sure to add this isolator on the Kings (if they fit, being two different coil diameters).

Just to clarify, the "isolator" I and @Seth7843 are speaking of is at the bottom of the spring where it sits atop the axle. It's simply a rubber type sleeve the is placed on the last coil that actually sits on the axle perch. This is where I think your noise may be coming from. Not the "top" as you keep noting.

I just so happen to be installing Kings this weekend and removing the almost brand new AHC springs with spacers (which will go up for sale). Will be sure to add this isolator on the Kings (if they fit, being two different coil diameters).
Oh....whoops. So there isn't anything on the top of the coil? Mechanic said there's a rubber piece that has a nipple that kind of pops up into the top area that sometimes can shift or wear out.

I'll have to crawl back under there and get more familiar with the setup since I haven't messed with it yet on the 100. The noise and shifting / popping I am seeing and hearing definitely happens up top. I grabbed a hold of the coils and just yanked on em like a fool for a while and then rocked the truck and the noise was gone but I suspect it will be back after some wheelin'

I just ordered the lower coil isolators. I will report back if this solves my noise once I get them installed on my coils.

I just ordered the lower coil isolators. I will report back if this solves my noise once I get them installed on my coils.
Sweet...maybe snap some pictures off while your in there to help me make sense of what's going on

Oh....whoops. So there isn't anything on the top of the coil? Mechanic said there's a rubber piece that has a nipple that kind of pops up into the top area that sometimes can shift or wear out.

I'll have to crawl back under there and get more familiar with the setup since I haven't messed with it yet on the 100. The noise and shifting / popping I am seeing and hearing definitely happens up top. I grabbed a hold of the coils and just yanked on em like a fool for a while and then rocked the truck and the noise was gone but I suspect it will be back after some wheelin'
No isolators on the bottom of springs on any of the half dozen 100's that I have worked on. Or sequoias, or FJ Cruisers or 4runners of various vintages, etc.

Rubber isolator sits at the top of the spring where the alignment cone/bumpstop extends from the frame. Not sure what a lower isolator is from Toyota.

You can (and will) get popping if the spring isn't seated correctly with the coil butted up against the spring stop and/or if the spring isn't seated squarely in the spring perch. It will load and twist and pop. But taking the load off and twisting slightly (or hurting with a rubber mallet until it seats where you want) will work.

Reactions: tjb
No isolators on the bottom of springs on any of the half dozen 100's that I have worked on. Or sequoias, or FJ Cruisers or 4runners of various vintages, etc.

Rubber isolator on top that sits at the top of the spring where the alignment cone/bumpstop extends from the frame.
There’s nothing on mine currently but the parts diagram says there should be one on the bottom of the coils on a 1998 LX470. I haven’t looked up to see if that’s the case with a LC.

FECDAE77-FCD1-4082-BCA8-1DD088327B18.jpeg

Rubber isolator sits at the top of the spring where the alignment cone/bumpstop extends from the frame. Not sure what a lower isolator is from Toyota.

You can (and will) get popping if the spring isn't seated correctly with the coil butted up against the spring stop and/or if the spring isn't seated squarely in the spring perch. It will load and twist and pop. But taking the load off and twisting slightly (or hurting with a rubber mallet until it seats where you want) will work.
Yeah I was confused with the few mixed responses, on my 02 LC the rubber cone and isolator are up top but maybe on the LX it is different.. I'll mess with it for a bit but the long story short is it shouldn't leave me broke down anywhere so it's lower on the list now. I suspect mine just isn't seated right like you mentioned or the isolator is worn out or possibly not installed, hard to tell with coil installed

1652986491952.png

Last edited:
There’s nothing on mine currently but the parts diagram says there should be one on the bottom of the coils on a 1998 LX470. I haven’t looked up to see if that’s the case with a LC.

View attachment 3013047
This could be due to the narrow diameter/lower spring rate of the AHC assisted rear coils to make sure they sit in the perches properly or don't work their way out of center? But on LC's I have never seen one of those in place including on my 100 which was bone stock when it came into my possession.

This could be due to the narrow diameter/lower spring rate of the AHC assisted rear coils to make sure they sit in the perches properly or don't work their way out of center? But on LC's I have never seen one of those in place including on my 100 which was bone stock when it came into my possession.
That would make sense. I’m pretty sure they are popping out of their perches and making sounds while flexing. I’m really hoping this fixes the issue for me!

Replaced my tired LX AHC springs with 05-07 LC AHC Springs (Purple and Brown labelled) + 30 mm spacers. Insulators were included in these 2 toyota P/Ns.
I removed the diff breather mount and a brake hard line + soft section out of an abundance of caution while dropping the rear diff.

Right side spring was easy. Without a second person, I got the left spring on with the help of a factory bottle jack sitting on the diff housing (next to the rear left crossmember). It was anchored against a rubber block on the frame in wheel well area to get the amount of clearance needed.

The @LandCruiserPhil factory bottle jack adapter comes in handy for seating the left spring in case the frame/diff is off-center if you're not working on perfectly even ground.

LC AHC Springs.JPG

RR LC AHC Spring.JPG
Factory Jack.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom