Automatic Transmission ????? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So, this is for you old Toyota gurus out there we're needing your help.
I have a 1982 short wheelbase 4x4 pickup that my son and I are building for him that we are putting in a 22r motor, but we need to put in an automatic transmission, but we do not want a computer controlled trans, we have been looking for a Toyota auto but all we have found are computer controlled. Could you give us some ideas of some sort of tranny/trans that we could use?
P.S. the reason we are looking for an automatic trans is that my son has Cerebral Palsy that has partially affected his right side and he has a hard time with the clutch when on hills and shifting.

What's wrong with a computer controlled one? As long as you get the ECU and wiring along with it. 1985-88 trucks and 4Runners had automatics. Not sure about 84s.

What's wrong with a computer controlled one? As long as you get the ECU and wiring along with it. 1985-88 trucks and 4Runners had automatics. Not sure about 84s.
Nothing, we just don't want to go that route the less wires and sensors the less problems in the future. We're looking at maybe turbo 350,400 or 700R4

Have you measured how long that will be? After a t350, transfer case, etc? Also adapter plate to the 22R...

Have you measured how long that will be? After a t350, transfer case, etc? Also adapter plate to the 22R...
And adapter from the T350 to the transfer case.

The 700r4 and 4l60 have a huge pan kick out on the passenger side that might not get along with the passenger side drop shaft up front. With enough lift or clocking it would be less of an issue.

I found this older article on Pirate 4x4 which I think may help you. If it were me I'd do the A340F Toyota transmission. Remember there are several different A340 transmissions.

Also this article on 4x4 Wire is very good, too.

Good Luck!
Thanks for the info it will give use more options

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom