Getting an old receiver hitch off? :: I'm breaking bolts. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Pskhaat

Tourer
Supporting Vendor
Threads
Website
alamosa.mobi
I have an older Slee rear bumper I'd like to put on. Alas after weeks of soaking in penetrating oil and some propane torch heat cycles. I simply cannot remove the bolts to the receiver.

4B895E29-B9E9-4621-9CAE-35BD0277ED37.jpeg

Well I CAN but the heads snap.

Seriously, what else is left to try? If I snap all the bolts I won't be able to use those for the bumper.

You think an extractor will work on those clearly fused bolts?

no, I don't think an extractor will work

it is hard to see in the pic above, is the place where the bolt is broke rusty or clean new metal?

Those do look properly fused in. How much access do you have to the tops of them where they come through the welded on frame nuts? If you can get oil and a brush on the threads coming through the frame nuts you may make some progress there. Then impacting; going tighter, then looser, tighter, then looser, and throwing some heat on them might work.

Alternatively, if you have good access - air chisel the nuts off and tack new ones in? If no access, drill out as much of the bolt as you can and weld a stud in and put the nut on the bumper side if possible.

I'm in the same boat. I snapped off 2 heads on the driver side when I took off the hitch for my undercoating. Haven't had the time or the weather to drill out the old bolts. I was planning on cutting and grinding them down flush to the frame, then attempting to drill them out and retap. Will not bother with extracting. I'm 0 for 3 with extractors on my rig.

I just need to identify the size and thread pitch of tap needed. If you find out, lemme know.

Also, you can see the encapsulated nut if you take off the bumper. Not sure if this helps.

Gotta use heat, red hot heat and heat that sucker up, it'll come out without breaking.

You're gonna hate life trying to drill that bolt out, it's big, it's hard, and it's in there good. O.O

I drilled a couple of bolts when i did my rear 4x4 labs bumper. Patience and keep squirting wd40, not too bad.

I drilled a couple of bolts when i did my rear 4x4 labs bumper. Patience and keep squirting wd40, not too bad.
What bit size did you use? Did you end up retapping? I'm planning my attack on drilling out the 2 bolts I have stuck.

Nevermind, I found what I needed from this thread.

It appears, trail tailor makes the bolts for the hitch and they're M14 x 1.5 x 45mm Grade 10.9.

So I'm looking for a drill bit and tap to work with that.

ufortunatley, you are going to need to buy an acetylene torch. Propane isn't going to get the bolts hot enough to do anything. They need to be heated up to RED hot. then let them cool. The expansion will break them free. then just a little wd40 and they will come out.

I bought an acetylene torch on Craigslist for about $200 years ago for this type of job, it has come in handy a few times.

If you have one handy, I would also try a air hammer. Put that sucker on the bolt and let it rip for a while. It may just vibrate things looser.

If you want to get an acetylene torch, check air / acetylene as well as the better-known oxy/acet. Easier and cheaper if not quite as hot.

Oh the bolt head is already ripped off. Snapped right off. I can see inside the frame rail, that sucker is stuck in there real good. Lots of rust.

Oh the bolt head is already ripped off. Snapped right off. I can see inside the frame rail, that sucker is stuck in there real good. Lots of rust.
If you've never experienced the joys of drilling a bolt out, it is CRITICAL that you use a center punch before starting the drilling. If you don't the tip of the drill bit will want to walk out on you and your chances of success without center punching will be nil.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom