Blackhawk Forged Radius Arms 80 series caster correction for 3" of lift. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I like them but I think the specs are off. I think they are best suited for bigger lifts than the 2.5-3”.

Reason: they give a lot of caster in the 2.5-3” range.

Having installed them on two 80’s now and getting those trucks on an alignment rack, three times on mine now, confirms this. I did want to try a different alignment shop though just to verify the machine at the shop I have been using isn’t out.

I am on 850/863’s, the other one is on 850J/863’s. Caster is 5+* on both Cruisers. Weirdest thing ever which I can not explain is both trucks the to tcase to diff pinion is .5-1* difference with these arms and these springs. It shouldn’t be but it is. Only explanation I have is the alignment machine is out but when I check caster with my tools (6ft digital level) I get similar readings plus they both drive like they have heavy caster.

I like them. They are stout AF. I like the bushings. I like where they place the axle. I like how the Cruiser drives even if caster is truly on the heavy side. Both Cruisers have HD tie rods and tons of clearance to the arms. Zero DL vibes or noise on both Cruisers. I didn’t have to wait very long for either set. The first set went in a customers build and I was super expecting front DL vibes simply because it was a diesel swap and we moved the trans crossmember forward. Until the Cruiser was completely done too it was a slight guess game on where diff pinion degree would land. Any ways, I bought a DC front shaft for these reasons. Once the Cruiser was 100% and driving there was less than 1* difference in tcase to diff pinion so I took the DC shaft out and installed a new OEM shaft. Zero vibes or noise before or after. I swapped out the DC shaft because it wasn’t needed and a standard shaft will last longer.

So if you have the 2-3” lift buy them at your own risk. If you have 3-5” lift I think you will have normal 2-4* of caster with the BH arms.

Cheers

Do you have security cameras in your shop? Maybe someone snuck in over night and performed a cut & turn :hillbilly:

@Road Apple is running them and likes them.

If you not rock crawling the @eimkeith drop brackets are the best bang for the buck, they also keep your suspension closest to factory geometry.

Perfect for the Concrete Jungle

And no, I have no affiliation to eimkeith I just like and run his products.
I’ll put it out there, the eimkieth brackets weren’t an issue in moab for me. Maybe they’d be more of an issue is california where everything is less ledgy and more bouldery. I went on everything from fins n things to cliffhanger and I never got turtled on mine. The rear control arm brackets are another story…

I’ll put it out there, the eimkieth brackets weren’t an issue in moab for me. Maybe they’d be more of an issue is california where everything is less ledgy and more bouldery. I went on everything from fins n things to cliffhanger and I never got turtled on mine. The rear control arm brackets are another story…
I could see them being an issue if you have to reverse on drop-off obstacles (although I tried to taper them for that) - otherwise, the radius arms themselves create a ramp for the mounts, so they shouldn't get hung up in most situations. (YMMV, of course)

I could see them being an issue if you have to reverse on drop-off obstacles (although I tried to taper them for that) - otherwise, the radius arms themselves create a ramp for the mounts, so they shouldn't get hung up in most situations. (YMMV, of course)
They’ve yet to be an issue for me. And having stock antidive with super soft springs is very very nice.

I like them but I think the specs are off. I think they are best suited for bigger lifts than the 2.5-3”.

Reason: they give a lot of caster in the 2.5-3” range.

Having installed them on two 80’s now and getting those trucks on an alignment rack, three times on mine now, confirms this. I did want to try a different alignment shop though just to verify the machine at the shop I have been using isn’t out.

Caster is 5+* on both Cruisers.
The advertised camber is 3.5 degrees, but I only got 3 degrees on a 3” Slinky lift. I was surprised and put the truck on the alignment rack twice to double check. So I got the opposite results.

The advertised camber is 3.5 degrees, but I only got 3 degrees on a 3” Slinky lift. I was surprised and put the truck on the alignment rack twice to double check. So I got the opposite results.

Odd.

I am going to try and get mine on a different alignment rack at some point.

Cheers

If there is any actual advantage to these forged Blackhawk arms over the fabricated Delta V-S arms - I'm not seeing it?

If there is any actual advantage to these forged Blackhawk arms over the fabricated Delta V-S arms - I'm not seeing it?
For me, I wanted to match the Blackhawk arms to the rest of the full Slinky suspension system. The Blackhawk arms might have slightly better clearance. Minimal difference.

For their advertising:
  1. More Ground Clearance
  2. Lighter than all others on the Market
  3. Heaviest GVM Upgrades Available in Australia of up to 1660kg Front Axle Load
  4. 16mm Longer to help to correct wheelbase length
  5. 1.5 Times Stronger than an OE Arm
  6. Australian Made Hybrid Rubber polyelastomer Bushes

The Delta produce is what I suggest to people for a high quality product with great US customer service.

IMO .5-degree of caster angle is negligible deference. I have seen that much variance and more side-to-side on the axle housing itself (knuckle balls not exactly the same angle), and if anything I prefer caster to be on the heavy side, so sounds like these are a win

@Road Apple gave a good list of the upgrade features of the Blackhawk arms. I will add that they are forged arms. That not only makes them very strong but in the unlikely event that an arm was bent, a forged arm could be put in a press and straightened. The Delta arms, being a laminated steel construction might not fair as well to straightening in a press if that was needed. I'm sure it could be done but the welds that join the plates together would likely need to be repaired. But in truth, I think we're picking at nits. Either the Blackhawk or the Delta arms are an excellent upgrade, both being among the strongest available. Delta has a few different options for different lift heights where the Blackhawks don't have those variations but work very well for 3-4" lifts.

@Road Apple gave a good list of the upgrade features of the Blackhawk arms. I will add that they are forged arms. That not only makes them very strong but in the unlikely event that an arm was bent, a forged arm could be put in a press and straightened. The Delta arms, being a laminated steel construction might not fair as well to straightening in a press if that was needed. I'm sure it could be done but the welds that join the plates together would likely need to be repaired. But in truth, I think we're picking at nits. Either the Blackhawk or the Delta arms are an excellent upgrade, both being among the strongest available. Delta has a few different options for different lift heights where the Blackhawks don't have those variations but work very well for 3-4" lifts.
Are you running these arm’s now Adam.
I know you did the plate mod. Just like I did after you.
And the main reason I’m not running these or Delta arms, welded caster plates and welded plate mod.

Are you running these arm’s now Adam.
I know you did the plate mod. Just like I did after you.
And the main reason I’m not running these or Delta arms, welded caster plates and welded plate mod.
No I'm not. I'm still running factory forged arms, relocation plates and caster plates.

Anyone running the Superior Engineering arms (non-Super, non-Hyper Flex); any thoughts on those vs these options?

If someone managed to legitimately bend one of our arms beyond use (without totaling the rig), we would happily exchange for a new one so we could frame the bent piece and mount to wall.

I'd guess you'd get a local product cheaper than freighting Superior?
Not sure the freight would be worth the squeeze for a non super/ hyper flex version?
They have a US distributor, Extreme Land Cruiser.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom