Odometer not working 1997 land Cruiser (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok so my trip meter has not worked for years, and I am frustrated with it not functioning, I did a search here and google and got very little, so I know there has to be someone here, that knows how to fix it, I think it is a stepper motor failure, but I am not sure. Thank you

Last edited:
Have you checked the connector on the transfer case? You will have three but it isn't one of the two that are on the top of the transfer case, it will be the one sticking out the side. Probably wet from the oring leaking

20220612_114810.jpg

Haven't pulled an odometer apart myself yet, but IIRC one person found a bit of foam from around the reset shaft/button that had gotten stuck in the small gears which prevented the Odo from moving??

In another situation the small gear teeth had fractured, IIRC.

I'm in the same situation (odo getting stuck) so it seems the answer is to pull the instrument cluster and take a look.

Ok so my Odometer has not worked for years, and I am frustrated with it not functioning, I did a search here and google and got very little, so I know there has to be someone here, that knows how to fix it, I think it is a stepper motor failure, but I am not sure. Thank you
If your speedo part still works, it's most likely your gears in the reset trip odometer button section.

I researched this issue years ago and I "pounded" on my reset button while rolling down the road and all at once my odo started working again. I have since put black tape around my reset button so no one pushes it and pushes the broken plastic parts back into the gears.

Some day I'll need to open it up and then probably get a new/used assembly.

Have you checked the connector on the transfer case? You will have three but it isn't one of the two that are on the top of the transfer case, it will be the one sticking out the side. Probably wet from the oring leaking

View attachment 3035444

Ok I guess I was not clear, but it is only my trip meter the Odometer works fine

If your speedo part still works, it's most likely your gears in the reset trip odometer button section.

I researched this issue years ago and I "pounded" on my reset button while rolling down the road and all at once my odo started working again. I have since put black tape around my reset button so no one pushes it and pushes the broken plastic parts back into the gears.

Some day I'll need to open it up and then probably get a new/used assembly.

Ok I have another Odometer I will swap them out that has good gears

Ok I have another Odometer I will swap them out that has good gears
I don't think that's as easy as it may seem.

There's a thread or two on here where someone detailed his adventure of replacing the ODO of one with another. It was not a small undertaking.

I don't think that's as easy as it may seem.

There's a thread or two on here where someone detailed his adventure of replacing the ODO of one with another. It was not a small undertaking.
Yeah I found out trying to do it, and I now have no speedometer working :flush:

I bought a spare cluster off of the classifieds here and followed this with no problems.

Good luck.

John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom