Stolen Catalytic Converter (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm finally a statistic, losing my two catalytic converters to a 45-second theft in the parking lot at work. 1997 Anniversary Edition....
So far I have two quotes for around $4k to replace the whole exhaust, about $3k for just the two cats. I've searched threads looking for ideas or more reasonable alternatives, but haven't found much. Colorado also has strict emissions rules, so a lot of what I find on the internet say "Won't ship to California, Colorado, or Hawaii." And Maine or something dumb. I'm proud of the LC and want to do it right and OEM or to keep it nice and not try to straight pipe it or something random.
Just here looking for feedback and ideas.

Magnaflow for the first then replace the rest from Rockauto. Definitely comes out less than that if you do it yourself.

Damn, sorry to hear this. Stupid drug addicts

Sorry to hear that. I know you may not want to do it, but you might be able to score the stuff from one of the people parting out cruisers. Wouldn't be new and wouldn't know the condition really, but may be cheaper.

Your misfortune is disturbing news. This thievery is apparently a serious problem throughout the country.
Hawaii and Alaska have no emissions testing. The reason they’re frequently excluded from shipping destinations is the high cost of transport.
My inclination would be to look for used cats as clx16 suggests.

I'm finally a statistic, losing my two catalytic converters to a 45-second theft in the parking lot at work. 1997 Anniversary Edition....
So far I have two quotes for around $4k to replace the whole exhaust, about $3k for just the two cats. I've searched threads looking for ideas or more reasonable alternatives, but haven't found much. Colorado also has strict emissions rules, so a lot of what I find on the internet say "Won't ship to California, Colorado, or Hawaii." And Maine or something dumb. I'm proud of the LC and want to do it right and OEM or to keep it nice and not try to straight pipe it or something random.
Just here looking for feedback and ideas.
Will your insurance cover it?

If so, go with OEM, as it is stainless and it will be a perfect fit. An entire exhaust system will be about $3000 plus labor to install. Assume 8 hours labor at $165/hour.

I installed the Magnaflow system and a Bosal muffler (Magnaflow from O'Reilly and Bosal from RockAuto) for about $500 total, but I did not replace the rear resonator pipe. Took me about 8 hours taking my time and I replaced all the studs from the downpipe to the manifolds without removing the manifolds from the truck.

Very sorry your loss and trouble. The front range has sadly become a criminal cesspool.

The Rising Sun LC Club would be able to give you some sound sourcing and replacement advice. AA Performance Exhaust in Englewood might be a good source of info too.

Last edited:
Thank you everyone for the comments and replies. I hadn't thought to reach out to Rising Sun. That's a very good idea.
Once I figure it all out I'll post an update and some pics of my shiney new exhaust.

And for future protection, you might add a set of sliders that have skid protection underneath the cats. I installed White Knuckle sliders and though a determined thief could get them, seeing the skid arm under the cats should deter most.

i dont understand why you cant buy from rock auto?
Rock Auto ships to Front Range CO these days. For a little bit there in 2020 to 2021 Rock Auto wouldn't ship because of online store tax policies that they hadn't worked out with individual communities yet. Generally that is sorted out in 2022. so Junk is mostly incorrect in that statement.

BTW to the OP. Most muffler shops will take care of you and do it for reasonable price. I've used a few including Mighty Muffler in Arvada/Westminster and Intermountain Muffler in Denver. They have catalytic converter cages as well I believe.

Rock Auto ships to Front Range CO these days. For a little bit there in 2020 to 2021 Rock Auto wouldn't ship because of online store tax policies that they hadn't worked out with individual communities yet. Generally that is sorted out in 2022. so Junk is mostly incorrect in that statement.
That’s not true. There are a few jurisdictions on the front range that can now buy from RockAuto, but most still cannot. For example, I live in Longmont and can’t get anything from RockAuto. This applies to all “home-rule” jurisdictions in CO.

It’s also not because of “online store tax policies”. It’s because sales tax is required to be paid separately to city and state governments in the home-rule cities, and RockAuto has refused to comply with this.

BTW to the OP. Most muffler shops will take care of you and do it for reasonable price. I've used a few including Mighty Muffler in Arvada/Westminster and Intermountain Muffler in Denver. They have catalytic converter cages as well I believe.
Both Mighty Muffler and Exhaust Pros quoted >$4k. That's for the whole system, manifold to tailpipe. And I'll definitely put a cage on it, one way or another.

Sorry to hear it, mine got stolen Friday (plus O2 sensors) during daytime at work. $4500 estimate but USAA wont cover OEM, only aftermarket. Definitely looking for some skids now...or it will happen again soon. Everyone says welded cages may slow them down 30-60 seconds but wont really work. Plates maybe...

Sorry to hear it, mine got stolen Friday (plus O2 sensors) during daytime at work. $4500 estimate but USAA wont cover OEM, only aftermarket. Definitely looking for some skids now...or it will happen again soon. Everyone says welded cages may slow them down 30-60 seconds but wont really work. Plates maybe...
Re: welded cages, or anything...
I have been led to believe that the idea is to increase the hassle factor enough so these upstanding citizens move on to another vehicle, presumably easier to pilfer from.
I'd welcome confirmation, or denial about that.

If mine were any good I'd just give them to him for shipping but unfortunately that was the reason they were replaced. Broken stuff rattling around inside.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom