The Whistling Land Cruiser (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

N919HJ

SILVER Star
Threads
6/79 LC all emissions intact. Engine runs great, idles smooth. Has no effect on drivability. But this sound is getting worse. I’ve been chasing it for months and can’t find it. I have two videos. One while I’m driving and one while I’m standing over the engine. The one while I’m driving sounds like a whistle. The one over the engine sounds more metallic. My vacuum is within spec and very steady. It only happens while the engine is warming up, but not right away, kinda like it has something to do with the emissions equipment. Maybe just after starting the engine something moves and makes the noise, then when the engine gets to full temp it moves again and the noise goes away. Most of the time it only does it when the throttle is just off idle. Like just enough power to maintain speed. But I can make come and go with the throttle. I sprayed the manifold down looking for vac leaks with no luck. Any help would be greatly appreciated. If you need more information let me know.

While standing over the engine.

While driving.

How about removing the fan belt to see if the sound goes away.

The sound stopped a few times when you where driving. Throwout bearing?

I once had a similar sound and it was the PCV valve.

I’ll test it this weekend. I guess it’s about 6 years old.

How about removing the fan belt to see if the sound goes away.

The sound stopped a few times when you where driving. Throwout bearing?

How long do you figure I run the engine without getting in to a over heating condition? I only ask because one of the videos I tried to make took about 7 minutes. The sound stopped while I was driving because I was moving the throttle. It’s definitely coming from the engine compartment. But I’ll pull the the belt. The sound could a bearing going bad.

Thanks for your help.

I've dealt with this exact issue on my FJ60. The whistle is coming from a vacuum leak at the carb base. The whistle goes away under throttle and comes back at cruising speed when vacuum is highest. Check for loose carb bolts and try to get them a little more snug. If that doesn't work, your carb insulator may not be sealing up to the intake manifold. You may need a new one. The insulator is not supposed to need a gasket. If one was used, that may be your problem. Gaskets never seal in this area and FIPG won't last long before fuel eats it up. The carb insulator has to be damn near perfect and tight to stop the whistle.

Last edited:
@N919HJ Since the squeek is present at idle, I was thinking you could just briefly slip the belt off. Restart the rig, if the sound is gone you'll know it's coming from a part connected to the belt.

I've dealt with this exact issue on my FJ60. The whistle is coming from a vacuum leak at the carb base. The whistle goes away under throttle and comes back at cruising speed when vacuum is highest. Check for loose carb bolts and try to get them a little more snug. If that doesn't work, your carb insulator may not be sealing up to the intake manifold. You may need a new one. The insulator is not supposed to need a gasket. If one was used, that may be your problem. Gaskets never seal in this area and FIPG won't last long before fuel eats it up. The carb insulator has to be damn near perfect and tight to stop the whistle.

Thanks guys, I have lots of things to check this weekend. @FJ40Jim installed the carb so I doubt there is a gasket in there. I’ll definitely check the bolts to see if they have loosened up.

how many belts do you have? i hope its not just one for water pump... ac... ps... all running off the crank...
if it is thats the issue... belt is not making good contact... heating up they get a bit more slack

I have two belts. One is running off the crank to the water pump and then to the air pump. The other is running A/C, alternator, crank and the power steering pump. Is that correct? It is a aftermarket A/C.

Check the breather hose from air cleaner to valve cover. Make sure it's not restricted.

Doesn't sound much like a whistle on the computer screen. More like a squeaking crank seal, which is caused by too much crankcase vacuum.

I had a similar issue that resolved itself. it all started when I replaced the manifold to carb gasket. I was able to narrow it down and find the vacuum leak by spraying glass cleaner at the base of the carb, if the whistle goes away you found it.

Thanks guys, unfortunately I got scheduled to work this weekend. Hopefully I can mess with it tomorrow. I’ll report back what I find.

Well, work has been fun lately. But I finally got in to the garage Saturday while it was pouring outside. The breather hose is free and clear. The pcv passed the function test in the emissions manual. I did find that the bolts on the passenger side of the carb were a little lose. I snugged those down and fired it up, letting run for about ten minutes. It didn’t make the noise so I’m optimistic but I still need to put some miles on it. If it ever stops raining while I’m home. This makes me think I should source a carb insulator just case. Thanks for your input. Fingers crossed this solved the problem.

SOR has one for my year but they sure are proud of it. They are showing gaskets on the top and bottom of the insulator. Is the correct? I can just buy the gaskets but if they’re not suppose to be there I’d be kind of leery.

I’m sorry but I did not. I don’t remember hearing it last summer. Maybe it fixed itself. 😁

Whistle is back for me now. Pretty sure it is base of carb. Too bad it is as snug as I can make it

The intake may be warped and using sealant is likely useless. I might try to take it off and reinstall

That will work 4th time is the charm

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom