Thoughts on Paint and Money? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Has anyone gotten their newer cruiser painted recently? My 97 FZJ80 is a peeling bad. Local shops have a quoted me around 9K for a total repaint but I have some (perhaps paranoid) concerns about them disassembling old, expensive and often hard to find things to do the painting. Then "famous" cruiser shops won't even talk to me for less than 20K it appears. Thinking that while I can get the rear glass done I should as well (my defrost is toast except for a few wires).

And of course trying to gauge how much to spend or not given current resale madness...

Thanks,

Harry

I have rear glass for an 80 if you are looking for a piece. Just make me an offer and you can have it. The glass is located in Chelmsford, MA.

You'll hit 2k in supplies pretty quick these days...quart of color is around 250 x3, plus catalysts and you're at a grand, not including clearcoat, primer, sandpaper, masking, etc....dents and rust 75/hr plus supplies...pull windshield, new gasket, rear glass too, prolly save gasket.. pull all door moldings, handles, and quarter glass, lights etc..Then there's flares..yuck... bumpers and sliders..
Sand all clearcoat off, prime, sand, paint, clearcot, sand, buff, reassemble...
6500-7500 minimum to do it right, not including any rust work or straightening. Big shops have lotsa overhead..and like Rick said, you pull what you can helps a bit..
And wash the s*** out it, scrub every crack and corner, has to be done...if sap or asphalt on it, add money.. 60 I did in fall took 3-4 hours to clean off sap
I could get it in later summer/fall, ready to scratch up at FG22😁

And where's the pix!!?!

Infamously,
Kina

You'll hit 2k in supplies pretty quick these days...quart of color is around 250 x3, plus catalysts and you're at a grand, not including clearcoat, primer, sandpaper, masking, etc....dents and rust 75/hr plus supplies...pull windshield, new gasket, rear glass too, prolly save gasket.. pull all door moldings, handles, and quarter glass, lights etc..Then there's flares..yuck... bumpers and sliders..
Sand all clearcoat off, prime, sand, paint, clearcot, sand, buff, reassemble...
6500-7500 minimum to do it right, not including any rust work or straightening. Big shops have lotsa overhead..and like Rick said, you pull what you can helps a bit..
And wash the s*** out it, scrub every crack and corner, has to be done...if sap or asphalt on it, add money.. 60 I did in fall took 3-4 hours to clean off sap
I could get it in later summer/fall, ready to scratch up at FG22😁

And where's the pix!!?!

Infamously,
Kina
Here's the pix! i'll PM you separately Kina, thanks.

IMG_0680.JPG

IMG_0679.JPG

I've had two 80 fully pained and $9K sounds about right for what you have scoped out for work, pending your paint spec; but could easily go over 10K with hidden rust. Cruiserland/Kina did one of them and was close to $8K that but was 8 years ago and the truck some rust that had to get knocked back and he R&R'd front and rear the glass. As Rick noted the more DIY prep you can do the lover the price from the paint shop.

Ya Rick seasoned that one up well ...door swaps, dents, rusty, rnr bumpers sliders glass , did we delete flares too? Special color added to bedliner... How's it holding up, isn't that the one you were going on about at FG that's in Costa Rica?

Ya Rick seasoned that one up well ...door swaps, dents, rusty, rnr bumpers sliders glass , did we delete flares too? Special color added to bedliner... How's it holding up, isn't that the one you were going on about at FG that's in Costa Rica?
Yup, Ricks old truck pretty battle worn, but you helped to extend its life another decade. Yes, we filled holes from fender flares, but I shaved them off at FnF.... Nope, Ricks old truck, below, is still with me in US (NH now) White 94 is in CR been there since 2012. Ricks old 80 is holding up well, but about to turn 300K.
2B7477C8-3DDD-4ED4-A156-BA4AEA55BB2E.jpeg

I see that the old Kaymar cast wings are still on the back.
And still remind me they are there on steep rocky departures....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom