What Did You Do with Your 80 This Weekend? (29 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

While I totally understand the "I don't want to drill or cut holes in my truck" sentiment - as someone who has both a snorkel and a back bay customs tailgate storage lid I will say that both have been extremely useful. When you have a wife, a kid, and a 70lb dog to take camping every little bit of space is welcomed. And the thing about the 80's intake being high - that is true. But if you plan on fording water very deep at all just keep your head on a swivel because I've put my 80 in water over the hood in places I thought it wouldn't reach my door handles...personally I was very happy to have the snorkel in that moment.

This is why you always test water before driving in.

Threw on the new Slee bumper and Come Up winch and snapped some photos this weekend:

Landcruiser Grass Sunset 7 resize.jpg

Impressive! I think you should leave it just because it is so drastic! I compared with GPS and cruise control on a long flat road i find the gear switch has me at half a needle width on the correct speed from 55 to 70 or so. but below that it is exact. Good enough for the girls I date and more accurate than my tundra that I haven't modded etc (it is about 1.6mph off).

Right?!

Only thing is I'd like my odometer to represent mileage accurately, and kind of want to not do the math in my head to convert km's and miles at differnt speeds.

I should hunt down a metric gauge face too while I'm at it (part number anyone?)

Decided to try my hand at auto body repair. First attemp. Not completely disappointed, but I’ll report back after paintwork.

View attachment 3032094

View attachment 3032095

View attachment 3032096

View attachment 3032097

View attachment 3032098

Looks to me like you're off to a good start, well done! With trepidation, I decided to repaint my entire fj55 with no previous experience whatsoever. It's not perfect, but good enough for who its for. I've had a few professionals compliment me on it, so I guess it's not too bad? I'm sure yours will turn out great! Spend extra time on the prep, I ended up painting a couple of sections twice due to rushing to get it done. It's worth taking your time.

132DAB98-9279-4113-87BE-ADFE79C4A59E.JPG

Welp, she's officially totaled. Insurance called this morning and had some questions about options on the truck, backed them up and shot down the FJ80 gas comps, they're going to re-run now that they and the comp guy know what an HDJ81 and a 1HD-FT are. I still expect a lowball, so scouring the web for comps but it's really rough. Also looking for a replacement truck but not holding my breath, can't find any other FT's.

On a side note, anyone want front and rear cupholders, five mint-condition never opened Volk TE37XT M-Spec's in Bronze 16x8, 6x139.7 pattern with blue Volk duranut locking nuts? Will put a listing up for the wheels when they get here. Ordered in November and they should be here in the next month or two.

Also have the Nardi wheel with the correct boss kit. This might be my departure from the 80 series if I can't find another JDM or GCC 1HD-FT.

Welp, she's officially totaled. Insurance called this morning and had some questions about options on the truck, backed them up and shot down the FJ80 gas comps, they're going to re-run now that they and the comp guy know what an HDJ81 and a 1HD-FT are. I still expect a lowball, so scouring the web for comps but it's really rough. Also looking for a replacement truck but not holding my breath, can't find any other FT's.

On a side note, anyone want front and rear cupholders, five mint-condition never opened Volk TE37XT M-Spec's in Bronze 16x8, 6x139.7 pattern with blue Volk duranut locking nuts? Will put a listing up for the wheels when they get here. Ordered in November and they should be here in the next month or two.

Also have the Nardi wheel with the correct boss kit. This might be my departure from the 80 series if I can't find another JDM or GCC 1HD-FT.
Sorry to hear that. I don't know what the damage looks like, but what if they totaled it and you buy if back? Use it as a trail rig or something?

You don't have to accept the total. Your pictures look fixable... You can give them a price you think is fair for repairs and if they take that then get it fixed your way.

Couple years ago a guy let a under 100k rig with some NICE forced induction get totaled over some hail damage that wasn't that bad.

You have options you choose not just those offered to you.

You don't have to accept the total. Your pictures look fixable... You can give them a price you think is fair for repairs and if they take that then get it fixed your way.

Couple years ago a guy let a under 100k rig with some NICE forced induction get totaled over some hail damage that wasn't that bad.

You have options you choose not just those offered to you.
Initial estimate from the shop is near $20k, tailgate top and bottom, bumper, seals, unobtanium tire carrier, exhaust, rear fenders, front bumper, trim above the front bumper, front right fender. That entire right rear rear quarter where the carrier is mounted is deformed. Then there is the issue where this thing had a bad respray forever ago, and so blending with a water-based modern paint is going to be near impossible. To get it "right" would basically be a full respray which I'm willing to put some out-of-pocket into, but I know getting parts was a big concern too. Interior trims in the rear are all messed up too. Sucks.

I'll keep this in mind but if they come back with the right number I'll probably take it.

Sorry to hear that. I don't know what the damage looks like, but what if they totaled it and you buy if back? Use it as a trail rig or something?
It was always going to be a daily with some mild offroading. I didn't go with beadlock wheels for this reason. I don't have a tow rig and as far as I know none of the trails around here are that technical anyway and rock crawling etc isn't really my thing. Was going to be a cruise-the-national-parks and take the tougher paths type deal.

Well i know where you can get some of that stuff used. The part out guys for one and then all of us who have replaced things with after market and still have original stuff we just havent gotten to post for sale yet.

Looks to me like you're off to a good start, well done! With trepidation, I decided to repaint my entire fj55 with no previous experience whatsoever. It's not perfect, but good enough for who its for. I've had a few professionals compliment me on it, so I guess it's not too bad? I'm sure yours will turn out great! Spend extra time on the prep, I ended up painting a couple of sections twice due to rushing to get it done. It's worth taking your time.

View attachment 3034047
I would be ecstatic to have a result as good looking as yours! Bravo. And I hear you on the prep. It's the one area I decided to just keep at it till it was as good as I could get it. The rest is up the the gods or wet sanding and buffing.

I would be ecstatic to have a result as good looking as yours! Bravo. And I hear you on the prep. It's the one area I decided to just keep at it till it was as good as I could get it. The rest is up the the gods or wet sanding and buffing.

Thanks a lot, I'm pleased with it and I learned a lot along the way so it was a win for me. Post up some pics when you get yours painted, looking good so far.

Do not accept any offers with a total loss. Their job is to pay you little as possible.

Here are the magic words. I want my truck repaired or replaced with a comparable model from the same year, in the same condition, with the same or lower miles.

When I totalled my 91 they offered me $2,500.00 after a month of telling them their comparable were not comparable and refusing the offers I got them to $10,000.00

Be patient and don't accept an offer until you feel it is fair.

Finally used the 3D printed shakey mirror fix from @Outsane . Sure enough one of the tabs was broken and the bottom screw hole was crumbling. There was evidence of past repairs in the form of gobs of dried silicone. The kit fixed both problems.

I had to break off the tabs to reinstall the mirror assembly which felt wrong but it was the only way to get clearance (it was recommended in the instructions). The small u-shaped piece saved the day when the bottom mount disintegrated. Snapped it on and filled it with adhesive to hold the screw. No more shakey mirror.

Last edited:
Did some wheeling and went camping. First time I've done the whole camping thing in a good while. Definitely itching to take another trip now. The Gazelle T4 Plus is pretty awesome for sure.

IMG_7910.JPG

Yesterday I finally added new exhaust manifold heat shields that rusted off not long after I changed the head gasket. They were pretty weak around the mounting holes along w/ some other badly rusted spots. Still have a bunch to do before the next Cruiser meet in PA in July.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom