New Owner (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all

Just picked up a 1989 FJ62G last night for a song. She's not totally clapped out but she needs serious love.
She's "running" but needs engine and transmission rebuilt, probably new front hubs, electrical system cleanup, a little body work (minor rust in 3 spots), paint, etc.
While the interior needs some work, it's not bad and I could really do all the work myself but I just don't have the time for the mech issues.
I really just want it drivable, reliable, and functional as a daily driver and occasional light offroader.
I'm curious if a $15k budget will get me where I want to be.

TIA,

H
20220613_201651.jpg
20220613_201708.jpg

If you want to drop off the cruiser at a shop then pick it up a month or so later with a rebuilt engine and transmission in it … $15K won’t likely be enough. Or maybe it will just squeak by.

Best to call around in your area. Every state and town has different services -and prices-

If you want to drop off the cruiser at a shop then pick it up a month or so later with a rebuilt engine and transmission in it … $15K won’t likely be enough. Or maybe it will just squeak by.
The last car I restored was a 1978 Datsun 280Z and that was in 1994.
So..... Realistically, what kind of price tag might I be looking at?

If the body’s in good shape it’s good.

I’m selling a rebuilt transfer case and transmission, with a good running engine. Going to be pulling it in 2 months.

What is wrong with the engine that it needs a rebuild?

What is wrong with the engine that it needs a rebuild?
Judging by the gaseous smell in the oil, the fact that it won't go up hill faster than 40 mph, and the tap tap tap, I'm thinking the valves/rings and possibly timing. I figure if I'm going to tear it down, may as well do a full rebuild so it lasts another 290k.

Suggest finding a donor driveline and swapping in.

Mine was 6k
The trans in my 62 was leaking, had water/coolant in it from a busted radiator, had worn Outputshaft splines and was shifting very poorly but it still worked.

After getting a few numbers we decided to put an h55f in it. The 5 speed swap will be much more affordable for us than even the low end of the auto rebuild.

If the auto was perfect, I would have left it alone. It was actually nice to drive for the 200 miles we had it in.

B4B63A88-E745-4A4B-B7CA-183899D32880.jpeg

47C208F1-13CB-4A39-B351-4C12846293AE.jpeg

1B176847-5C7E-462D-95C4-D11C216B29E7.jpeg

DD3B74F9-766B-4492-8443-08652F1EE531.jpeg

19A17DAE-B6DE-4628-8C7D-087676676C1A.jpeg

Hi all

Just picked up a 1989 FJ62G last night for a song. She's not totally clapped out but she needs serious love.
She's "running" but needs engine and transmission rebuilt, probably new front hubs, electrical system cleanup, a little body work (minor rust in 3 spots), paint, etc.
While the interior needs some work, it's not bad and I could really do all the work myself but I just don't have the time for the mech issues.
I really just want it drivable, reliable, and functional as a daily driver and occasional light offroader.
I'm curious if a $15k budget will get me where I want to be.

TIA,

HView attachment 3033999View attachment 3034000

Also; what is the engine situation? Is it making a noise, fully broken or just tired?

If our 3fe can be fully locked up, yours may be savable with a refresh. This was zero compression on several cylinders and 291,000 miles of being smogged.

If you take $15k and assuming there is a spot available right now at a shop, it won’t get you far. It’s the truth. That would barely cover costs to rebuild the engine and trans. No labor.

The 62 is still an excellent vehicle to work on if you want to learn.

E0CE517E-675A-46EE-9FA9-73C002D11A66.jpeg

CA6F8E29-341C-48AD-8FA6-740C036D673B.jpeg

CAD5E48E-77F0-4F8C-89EE-17CA8D2D04A2.jpeg

If the transmission is shot I'd second the call for either a 5 speed manual or used 4 speed on a budget. Ditch the auto.

If the transmission is shot I'd second the call for either a 5 speed manual or used 4 speed on a budget. Ditch the auto.
I HAVE always preferred to control my own shift points. I'm thinking the H55 swap may be the way to go, esp. if it saves $$ that I can put into other parts of the truck.

H

When the auto works, it’s great. When it doesn’t, it’s bad. I know @orangefj45 rebuilds them.

Also; if you’re in a smog state swapping the transmission can invalidate it from being inspected. Something to consider for resale as well.

I tell ya.
The guys down at Classic Cruisers in Poncha Springs are AWESOME.
Incredibly helpful and VERY responsive.
They're putting together a quote the parts I need for the H55 swap (probably around $6k) and then going to work on the engine rebuild list and the hubs.
Been waiting 5 days and still no response from Red Line in COS.
I'll just do the work myself FTW.

H

6k if a new H55 is a reallly fair price. Think i pd 5k ish just for the new H55 from @cruiseroutfit

$15k almost gets you a turnkey Gen 3 Vortec / 4l60 conversion in my shop :meh:

I am in Chicagoland and I paid $4,121,89 to have my transmission rebuilt, reseal transfer case, backflush trans cooler, install transmission cooler (I supplied the Hayden model), and shorten my driveshaft. This was March of this year.

Also, @HemiAlex Thumbs up for the Dead bumper sticker.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom