The Bicycle Thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Thanks to John and Patrick (sanding the O-rings was tough) I am getting close... I just need to fine tune the shocks. close to 110# in the Marzocci bomber forks and 160# ( might soften this a bit) in the rear. now to ride some and tweak the rebound settings. thanks guys

Willing to part with my 94 GT rts 3. Was their mid grade full suspension model. Frame size is small (I'm 6'1, so it was equivalent of riding a big tired bmx bike with suspension .

I'll take 350 from ONSC members or their family/friends. tubes hold air, but would prob warrant fresh ones.

save me from dealing with fb marketplace LOL

20210122_121217.jpg

20210122_121237.jpg

20210122_121322.jpg

If you guys need advice about how to fix your bikes I was a bike mechanic from age 13 to 30
I started at 10 by taking my freehub apart and losing half the bearings. I have a lot more experience under my belt now and the only work I farm out is wheel building.

FWIW, the Colorado Cyclist farms out their custom wheel builds to a shop down the street from them. They are dirt cheap and the best quality I've ever seen. I talked to CC a couple of years ago, before I ordered a custom set of race wheels, to ask how they were selling them so cheap. They told me they shop they use builds literally hundreds of wheels a week, of all different types and sizes, so custom for you is standard for them.

Building a wheel is not at all complicated it’s a simple step-by-step process the most important thing is to have the correct size spokes and these days that’s a pretty simple matter but back in the old days before computers and the Internet it could be a process. I think DT spokes to be the best and easiest to work with because of how they roll their threads versus cutting them. Don’t be intimidated by wheel building! I’ve seen guys who can build wheels all day long but can’t make a cable housing the right length!!!

Free
Thule car rack
7CB0FA0C-36F5-495A-A205-4A682B171577.jpeg
08821101-3927-4E3F-A31B-BDF084E8E156.jpeg

New ride - 2015 Specialized Epic Expert World Cup

2369A086-0834-4879-B513-755AD3130F8C.jpeg

60FFC64F-CDB2-426B-8830-CCEBAA97C4B6.jpeg

Last edited:
Wheelset for sale

29er Roval Traverse SL Carbon Wheelset with tires and brake discs - $740 or best offer
Includes
2 carbon wheels
1 Maxxis Front tire is like new condition - Minion DHR II
1 Specialized Fast Trak
2 brake discs
1 - 10 speed cassette
Front Hub is DT Swiss 350
Rear Hub is Roval SL 135mm
Front quick release
Rear through axle
Both tires set up tubeless

Last edited:
Having been bitten by the ebike bug, I went out and got a nice one. This thing is so awesome: quiet as can be, easily pedaled with assist off, just an incredible ride. I am now a 100% believer in torque sensor/mid-drive and quality bikes. I can't beat on it like my Rad Rover fat tire bike, but I can ride it much further and feel great when done.

Specialized Turbo Vado 3.0:
1654703619445.png

Please do not tell on me, but a buddy and I rode the (in)Complete540 from Hwy55 in Apex to I have no idea where, we must have been getting close to 401 (?) when I suggested we turn around. Was on my fat tire bike. While not challenging at all, it was an absolute hoot!

I bought a friend of mine's Cityzen c10 in Jan. Bosch 350 wayltt class 3 mid drive. i totally agree about a quality platform. Before the c word got him, my buddy did a 55 mile ride in Greenville, SC.

I did every bit of 28 mph on our street when i brought it home.

I thought I posted about this bike before but apparently not.

A little back story before the pics...

When I was a kid around 10 yo a lot of the older kids were riding 10 speed bikes. One guy would ride wheelies on his 10 speed and I though that was amazing. So when it came time for me get a bike I asked Santa for a 10 speed. Shortly after all of my friends ended up getting BMX bikes and I was so mad I made the wrong choice. I always wanted a BMX bike but moved on to skateboards and then cars.

About five years ago I had a sales call in a neighborhood across the street from where I grew up. I get to the house and an older gentleman is sweeping an empty garage. I introduce myself and we chat in the garage for awhile. I notice a BMX bike hanging from the ceiling with a sign that says $20. I ask what's up with the bike and he says that he is cleaning out his sons house. His son had recently and suddenly passed and he is fixing up the house (new floors was the reason I was there) and is going to sell the house. He had a yard sale the day before and the BMX bike is all that was left, no one wanted it. He goes on to say that his son raced the bike and won several times, it had a number placard on the handlebars. I explained that I grew up in a neighborhood across the street but didn't know his son, he was few years younger than me, and that I would love to have the bike. So I pull $20 out of my pocket and pull the bike down from the ceiling.
I knew what the bike was when I saw it but didn't know what the market was for these bikes. When I got home and did some research I felt bad realizing how much the bike was worth, and would have paid more. But obviously making money wasn't the point of him selling and I have no plans to sell the bike.
I finally got a BMX bike!

This bike was rode hard. It needed new tires and a chain. There were no front brakes and the rear brakes were on their last leg. The absent front and current rear brakes that were on the bike were gray and they left a gray streak on the wheels. I replaced the tires and chain and adjusted the rear brakes as best I could. I wanted to keep it as original as possible. I have been riding it around the hood with my daughter for the past few years, she has a cool bike too that I will post later, and the rear brake just wasn't cutting it. So I did some shopping and found that they make repo brake parts for these bikes so I ordered new front and rear brake calipers and levers along with new white brake pads and new brakes cables and cable stays. The ride is pretty good now but after adjusting the rear tire some I realized the rear wheel bearing is bad, so I'm still on the hunt for a rear wheel bearing.

You can see the grey brake pad transfer onto the white wheels. That stuff is on there and not easy to remove so I left it. The cable stays look much better than zip ties.

IMG_0296.jpeg

RH brake lever is original, LH is new. The original owner mixed and matched the blue and gold lever parts and did the same with the rear brake caliper (which I replaced). Its a cool touch and I may recreate it someday, probably won't. lol
IMG_0297.jpeg
IMG_0301.jpeg

I left the original dice valve caps. EDIT: Yes, the back tire is mounted backward, I had a tough time on the front and was mentally done by the time I was mounting the back. :bang:
IMG_0300.jpeg

Well worn, multi-colored home paint job pedals.
IMG_8200.jpeg

Last edited:
Very cool beans, Brad. You're right about that brake pad residue being a pain to get off - my 80's Peregrines were pink/purple and the black streaks from the pads ware probably still on them, may they RIP.

I'm not sure if that Pro Performer handlebar is correct for a racing bike. Performer was their freestyle line. I'm also unsure if Peregrines are correct for a racing frame but so many people put them on everything back then.

And, yeah...old school BMX prices have been nuts for 20 years. I gave up before getting started after pricing 1980's Haro Masters, Hutch Trickstars, and SE Quadangles around 2005. I guess I'll never own any.

Very cool beans, Brad. You're right about that brake pad residue being a pain to get off - my 80's Peregrines were pink/purple and the black streaks from the pads ware probably still on them, may they RIP.

I'm not sure if that Pro Performer handlebar is correct for a racing bike. Performer was their freestyle line. I'm also unsure if Peregrines are correct for a racing frame but so many people put them on everything back then.

And, yeah...old school BMX prices have been nuts for 20 years. I gave up before getting started after pricing 1980's Haro Masters, Hutch Trickstars, and SE Quadangles around 2005. I guess I'll never own any.
You’re right about this bike not being set for racing but I can see this kid racing what he had.
The father mentioned something about racing at Metrolina, which makes sense for the time period. Although, from personal experience, parents tend to remember things in a better light than what was reality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom