Simple Pitman Arm Question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Question on your rag joint ...
In the pictures, it appears to have some age on the joint. (what might early start of break down of the leather/rubber doughnuts). Have you considered replacing it while you are in there? [i.e., re-start with a freshly rebuilt steering box and any other convenient hardware with wear such as rag joint]

Thanks
Yup Larry, had one on order and then was told massive back order. Checking with another vendor now. But yes want to replace. I cleaned up the grounding terminals on my old one just in case. We shall see.

I would keep in mind a few year back someone sent their 40 series power steering box to Texas for a rebuild and got a mini truck power steering back. Which would indicate you don't necessarily get your original box back.
So just to set record straight…spoke to them just now and they have by mistake sent wrong one back by simple accident and quickly made up for it. Just want to make sure there was some context here.

Just a small update…everything went well with the conical type puller and didn’t even produce a loud ‘bang.’ Just gentle tapping on each side of arm, a few twists of the puller and repeat. Made hash marks (in red) just so I can get it aligned correctly when I reinstall…not sure if this will help or not.

Unfortunately this box was supposed to be refurbished by PO and it was clearly not. So now it’s to get it cleaned up and shipped out to West Texas Off-road for a complete rebuild.

View attachment 3031872

View attachment 3031873

View attachment 3031874

View attachment 3031875

View attachment 3031876
Just to let you know, the odds of your markings still being there after the rebuild are slim. They will probably clean thoroughly the housing and Pitman arm shaft. You might consider using a punch to leave a small divot on the end of the shaft and pitman arm.

Just to let you know, the odds of your markings still being there after the rebuild are slim. They will probably clean thoroughly the housing and Pitman arm shaft. You might consider using a punch to leave a small divot on the end of the shaft and pitman arm.
I did.

So just to set record straight…spoke to them just now and they have by mistake sent wrong one back by simple accident and quickly made up for it. Just want to make sure there was some context here.

Glad it was straightened out. I was going by a thread here on Mud. Do not remember how it was resolved but do not remember it was not quick and easy process. Haven't been able find the thread. Everything I read about West Texas O/R except for that case has been positive. Having to removed your OEM pedestal that riveted on to the frame and install an aftermarket part to use a mini truck power steering would be a huge problem for me.

Cleaning splines, small files, dental tools, the ones you get at the fair, with diamond tips work well,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom