I have questions about the Jeep Wave protocol... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

StinkyPig

SILVER Star
Threads
I have noted, this year it seems more prevalent, that when I am driving my FJ40's the Jp folks tend to shoot me the Jp wave more often than not.
1. Is it because they don't know what a Jp looks like and mistakenly wave?
2. Or this because they are bowing to the superiority of the Land Cruiser?

So I ask fellow mudders, what is the correct protocol?

There is a protocol for waving, my Father taught it to me when i was learning to drive. I was learning in his '52 MGTD, which i then drove my last year of highschool.
MGs would wave to other MGs, but not to a Jaguar unless the Jaguar waved first.
Same today. A heep should only wave to a LandCruiser if the LandCruiser waves first.

Who knows why the Jeep people wave. I always just wave back as the world needs more friendly gestures.

Im'a roll with you brother. Can't hurt a'tall...:smokin:

"Who knows why the Jeep people wave. I always just wave back as the world needs more friendly gestures."

The above is well said and worthwhile. I have a feeling Jeep owners don't know what a Landcruiser is.
Sad I know a decent bit about Jeeps.:meh:

I tend not to wave either. Most have no idea what I'm driving. I quit our local club, of which I was a founding member, because the new members wanted top go on j**p rides or j**ping, and I prefered to go on trail rides. Back when the club was founded we all had the same mind set, Go wheeling!!! We didn't care what you drove, only that it was dependable. Lately some looked at my 40 as a POS, to which, I would reply "Whats your j**p gonna look like in 40 years?" The new j**p owners don't seem to recognize the history and evolution of J**ps. Anything b4 the tj or jk and later models are non existence to them. A friend who owns a yj, tried to join a local j**p club(j**ps only), the members came out and said he couldn't become a member because his head lights were square and they only wanted members with late model j##ps .

Boaters wave to other boaters, no matter what boat they are on, how much it costs, or what company manufactured.

You never know if you might need their help on the water. Those that don’t wave are considered snobs or clueless. Especially those rare snobby sailors who have a thing against power boaters.

Same rule in my mind for jeeps, except I don’t wave first. I’ve been helped by a jeep driver when my 470 tire blew out once on the highway from a monster metal shard in the side. I check on others who are stranded too.

If a jeep tailgates one of my three TLCs hard in traffic though, I will spray my washer fluid until they jitter around and back off.

Last edited:
This is my first summer driving the 40 so getting Jeep waves is new for me. I never initiate the exchange, but always return a wave. :meh:

Who knows why the Jeep people wave. I always just wave back as the world needs more friendly gestures.

This is something a grown up does.

But.... Being a snob and having the emotional maturity of a child, I just shake my head.

Now, soccer mom in her 200? She gets waved at by me and has no clue. 🤣

It's fun being in a tribe.

Those that don’t wave are considered snobs.
I guess I'm a snob then. I wonder if driving a LandCruiser made me a snob or if i was always a closeted snob and the Pig just allows me to identify as such.
I'll wave to a flat fender, I'll wave to an old wagon. Or a Mog.
I always wave to another LandCruiser, even 80s.
Not to fjcruisers, but yes to built mini-trucks (if Toyota).
But not the shiny chromy heeps i see running around town.
Yes I've been tugged out by a heep before, sure they can be a capable vehicle. Doesn't mean i have accept them as equals.
If a shiny chromy heep waves to me, it may get a polite nod with a slight superior sneer.

People and situations are hostile enough right now. Do I think FJ's are better than Jeeps? Yes, yes I do. Do they think Jeeps are better? Probably, but I don't care. If they are polite I am polite, and if they are friendly then so am I. And if they are rude to hostile I just leave.

I have noted, this year it seems more prevalent, that when I am driving my FJ40's the Jp folks tend to shoot me the Jp wave more often than not.
1. Is it because they don't know what a Jp looks like and mistakenly wave?
2. Or this because they are bowing to the superiority of the Land Cruiser?

So I ask fellow mudders, what is the correct protocol?
What exactly is the JP wave?

One would expect just about any auto enthusiast to wave at an FJ40. It's a good thing, I'd wave back.

lul.gif

Hell, move to the country. Everyone waves at everyone here...til we get in town around them crazy city folk.

Testify....

"Country must be country wide" - BG

One would expect just about any auto enthusiast to wave at an FJ40. It's a good thing, I'd wave back.
I agree. My other vehicle is as far as you can get from a Cruiser, its a 2005 Prius. Don't laugh, its got over 300,000 miles on it. But no one waves at a Prius, and if you do get attention its usually not complimentary. But honestly I don't think anyone has been hostile toward the Cruiser except on Interstates. I had one person chase me down because he used to own one and just wanted to see one up close again. About the only times I got hostile looks and horns is when I rented a heated garage last winter and had to drive there via the interstate. Even for the slow lane I was slow, but I didn't want to keep running at high RPM's as I didn't want to break something driving to a garage to fix something else. I was also finding out the hard way how much I had forgotten about repairing one. And that the parts situation had change since the mid 1990's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom