Builds 1978 US Market FJ40 Factory Restoration (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Next was installing the radiator support frame, radiator and fan shroud along with a new fan. (It is so fun finally unwrapping all of these Toyota parts I've been stashing).

IMG_1317.jpeg

IMG_1325.jpeg

IMG_1323.jpeg

IMG_1320.jpeg

IMG_1326.jpeg

I also needed to prep the larger radiator hoses and (City Racer) stainless steel clamps:

IMG_1331.jpeg

IMG_1336.jpeg

IMG_1339.jpeg

If I have dorked something up, let me know. I'm just lego'ing this thing together off memory...and this thing wasn't pulled apart yesterday!

I forgot to show pictures of the heavy-bodied seam sealer.

I dug out that non-curing gum-like product. This stuff is superior. Here is FACTORY goo:

View attachment 3032796

Here is the 3M heavy bodied goo:

View attachment 3032795

Keep in mind this cures very hard, you can barely get a fingernail in it, as opposed to the factory goo that is a bit more spongy.

Ok, after letting first coat of clear set:

View attachment 3032799

View attachment 3032798

View attachment 3032802

View attachment 3032803

Undercarriage was done prior:

View attachment 3032800

View attachment 3032801

After FOUR clear coats. I blocked with 1000, 1200 and 1500 respectively before buffing with compound and polishing. This....took the whole of Saturday.

View attachment 3032808
Looks fabulous! Is that Mustard Yellow 532? And who’s paint did you use, PPG? I envision single stage and I realize yours is base and clear but just curious what you used and how you like it. Thanks. Tom

Final pics for this phase of the project, drive shafts. I used SOR's driveshaft hardware kits, which are nice.

IMG_1360.jpeg

IMG_1362.jpeg

Will probably re-do the front ni-cop brake line. That looks pretty wonky.

IMG_1368.jpeg

and...just a few last pictures from the weekend.

IMG_1354.jpeg

IMG_1356.jpeg

IMG_1372.jpeg

IMG_1353.jpeg

IMG_1352.jpeg

Thanks for following along. I hope to update more often than once a year. Feedback appreciated (even if its criticism!)

Next was installing the radiator support frame, radiator and fan shroud along with a new fan. (It is so fun finally unwrapping all of these Toyota parts I've been stashing).

View attachment 3032811

View attachment 3032812

View attachment 3032813

View attachment 3032814

View attachment 3032815

I also needed to prep the larger radiator hoses and (City Racer) stainless steel clamps:

View attachment 3032817

View attachment 3032820

View attachment 3032819

If I have dorked something up, let me know. I'm just lego'ing this thing together off memory...and this thing wasn't pulled apart yesterday!
Dave where/who plated your radiator shroud?

@tls3601 This is PPG Deltron 2000 DBC base color and DC4000 clear. I wouldn't shy away from doing a single stage. The reason I went base/clear is to have the opportunity to correct issues common from spraying outside. Wind....bugs....tree debris, etc.. Thank you!

Last edited:
@tstepp920 Some of my stuff is plated....some of it is not. I have no shame in transparency!

For my air-rail (which I regret being next to fuel....which dissolves it), my fan shroud and some hard-to-find harware: Eastwood Golden CAD Complete Kit - https://www.eastwood.com/eastwood-golden-cad-complete-kit.html
I used that.
I have a nice air-rail I plan on getting coated at some point. If I do....I'll do the fan shroud at the same time. (at a local plating company). For now.....this Cheesy three-rattle can kit will do.

-Dallas

What? No pictures of the lemonade stand?

😛

If your story isn’t the epitome of making lemonade when life gives you a lemon, I don’t know what is!

Even if you consider it Legos, just keep in mind how many people don’t even know what they’re looking at when they open the hood. You will now forever know when something doesn’t look right. That is a gift from you to you.

For tech, I’d just say to pull the battery tray back out until the fender is on, and the front clip adjusted. Less chances for an accident.

@65swb45 Ohh, great idea. Thank you. This certainly has been a long journey of lemons, that is for sure. I really do appreciate the comment, Mark.

@Crush 4 Fram is not factory? Kidding aside, I stashed about a dozen original big Toyota filters. When I get ready to fire her up again, I wanted a Fram to catch any debris or schmutz that might have gathered up before putting a nice Toyota one up on there.

Hey....if all you guys are seeing is a Fram filter as a problem, I'll take that as a win!!! :)

@tls3601 This is PPG Deltron 2000 DBC base color and DC4000 clear. I wouldn't shy away from doing a single stage. The reason I went base/clear is to have the opportunity to correct issues common from spraying outside. Wind....bugs....tree debris, etc.. Thank you!
Toyota color code 532, right?

Yes, sorry @tls3601 T-532 OEM Toyota Mustard Yellow
I tried to get ppg single stage and they told me they couldn't make that color since they didn't have 2 of the components that contained lead, can you share more about the formula, or what I can go back to the paint shop with?

Thanks!
Craig

Excellent work. Those canvas type pads that you put under the rad support. There are supposed to be 4 under the battery tray. The OEM ones are not available from Toyota but you can substitute the ones with the larger 10-12mm holes in their place.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom