What Did You Do with Your 80 This Weekend? (75 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Haven't been doing much with it lately except taking it camping as often as possible.

20220603_182841.jpg

Got (most) new PS lines put in and an a/c recharge. Up next is cleaning out the blower motor and ductwork to get some decent air flow back in the cabin.

Also to replace the crumbling spring spacers that some squirrels decided to chew up. Then stereo system, new steering wheel, it never ever stops.

Contemplating taking her GA--->TX next month, but it'll cost me an extra $200-300 vs driving my Tundra.

I took out the 32 tooth gear and put in a 31 tooth gear 3340369225 for 33 inch tires. They have a few options from Toyota and they where 18 dollars from partsouq when i ordered. There is a thread around here that has the part numbers for the various sizes. Very easy job. You might replace 3340422010 also while you are in there just to be replacing the internal seal too. The speedo gear comes with replacement oring
You referenced this one in a previous thread.

I choose not to go this route after all.

My truck on 33's is about 5.2% off on the speedo and this gear correction from the 12:32 to the 12:31 is only a 3.1% change. I'm probably going to go with the Yellowbox option for a little more accuracy.

Yep there was another thread that was better but i can't find it now. Have you looked to see how many miles off you would be at 45mph and 70mph? I believe when i figured it out before it was going to be only off by the width of my speedo needle at 70 and right on at 45. I am that close on stock vehicles depending on tire tread out and pressure.

Yep there was another thread that was better but i can't find it now. Have you looked to see how many miles off you would be at 45mph and 70mph? I believe when i figured it out before it was going to be only off by the width of my speedo needle at 70 and right on at 45. I am that close on stock vehicles depending on tire tread out and pressure.
Currently:
at 45 MPH actual, my speedo reads about 42.
With the new gear it would be 43

At 70 MPH actual, my speedo reads about 66.
With the new gear it would be 68.

Yeah that is that isn't a huge improvement for you.
Currently:
at 45 MPH actual, my speedo reads about 42.
With the new gear it would be 43

At 70 MPH actual, my speedo reads about 66.
With the new gear it would be 68.
I know people will joke about driving that fast but here in Atlanta i drove mine up to 90 so 70 is very realistic for me and likely for you where you are.

Yeah that is that isn't a huge improvement for you.

I know people will joke about driving that fast but here in Atlanta i drove mine up to 90 so 70 is very realistic for me and likely for you where you are.
I regularly drive at 85 mph as KS has a speed limit of 75 and I push the limit of the law. Although I use a LOT more oil when pushing that hard.

I have had my truck at 100 mph before. Under strict controlled conditions, in a monitored situation, of course.......

Yes, it's "stock" with 33" tires and a 2.5" lift.

Took kiddos camping on a whim Friday. They floated around in the river all day Saturday. Saw a bush plane land. I secretly want one. Plus a sail boat for baja, you know, to round out land/sea/air capabilities. Was very quiet all weekend, but did have a few jeep convoys roll through later in the day Saturday and a couple dirt bikes. A rivian full of college kids too. They were REALLY fired up about the water crossing. Many photos were taken. Fighting my rapidly developing old man instincts to talk s*** about young people being young haha

Some good 4x4 to get in/out of here put smiles on faces. Not terribly challenging, but definitely gate keeper worthy and didn't see any subarus all trip :)
PXL_20220611_025722813.jpg

Junk food has become a camping treat and I'm fine with it. Camping = dad = fun :)
PXL_20220611_031734847.jpg

PXL_20220611_172710174.jpg

PXL_20220611_172849241.jpg

The fridge has enabled a quantum leap in the quality of camp cooking
PXL_20220611_023255231.jpg

In tech related news, my modified temp gauge is definitely working :doh:
PXL_20220612_185720325.jpg

Pulling 75mph on long low desert grades at ~95* ambient had me at 216* at bottom of red as verified with an outlet coolant sensor from engine guardian (OBD1). Never got higher and the AC ran strong, but seems high since ambient temps weren't that high. I already have a new radiator in there, the thermostat isn't too old, and added foam to the top of the radiator after our last trip, so going to refill my black fan clutch next and see if that helps. Also have a new blue hub clutch to fill and that will try that if needed. My new motor is ready to go in, but would like to get the temps figured out before adding a new puzzle piece.

You referenced this one in a previous thread.

I choose not to go this route after all.

My truck on 33's is about 5.2% off on the speedo and this gear correction from the 12:32 to the 12:31 is only a 3.1% change. I'm probably going to go with the Yellowbox option for a little more accuracy.
Interesting. Maybe I can find something. With the full time t-case back in I’m out almost exactly 50%

At 40mph on the gauge I’m doing 60mph on the pavement.

Interesting. Maybe I can find something. With the full time t-case back in I’m out almost exactly 50%

I bought the yellow box from Australia to correct my speedo when I re-geared.

Impressive! I think you should leave it just because it is so drastic! I compared with GPS and cruise control on a long flat road i find the gear switch has me at half a needle width on the correct speed from 55 to 70 or so. but below that it is exact. Good enough for the girls I date and more accurate than my tundra that I haven't modded etc (it is about 1.6mph off).

Installed the @Mountain Hatch tailgate cover. "Install" is an overstatement. Completely tool-less 20 second event. Took longer to remove the OEM carpet trim piece. Impressively simple yet solid design and build quality. It's definitely slick, but I count that as a plus since I'm sliding gear in/out weekly, which was starting to tear up the OEM cover. It's not in bad shape, and I want to keep it that way. Conveniently, the box the Mountain Hatch came in is perfect for storing the OEM piece in the attic.

Before:
View attachment 3031477

After:

View attachment 3031478

Plus they are made about 60 miles down the freeway in Alvarado, TX...and the sticker looks great! ;)

View attachment 3031508

I went back/forth for months trying to decide if I wanted to do this (or some DIY alternative like @cruiserdan 's aluminum) or something like the Huracan Fab storage solution. As much as I dig the tailgate storage concept, I just couldn't bring myself to slice up my rig. I'll likely never be so packed full of gear that I'll wish I had that extra ~2-3 cubic feet.

Same thought process for snorkels. I love the look of a snorkel, and I do hope to take my rig out for some mild overlanding eventually. But I can't imagine ever needing to traverse water that's higher than the halfway point on my wheels. The LC's air intake is already pretty high, and I just can't bring myself to drill a 4" hole in my fender, lol.
While I totally understand the "I don't want to drill or cut holes in my truck" sentiment - as someone who has both a snorkel and a back bay customs tailgate storage lid I will say that both have been extremely useful. When you have a wife, a kid, and a 70lb dog to take camping every little bit of space is welcomed. And the thing about the 80's intake being high - that is true. But if you plan on fording water very deep at all just keep your head on a swivel because I've put my 80 in water over the hood in places I thought it wouldn't reach my door handles...personally I was very happy to have the snorkel in that moment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom