Low range transfer case gears from nitro gears? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I do believe if you go 4.56 and have the underdrive gears you actually get a 5.0 gear ratio. if you go 4.88 you get 5.29
You are correct on the 5.0. I just ordered 4.56s from @cruiseroutfit now that I have 37s. I look forward to seeing the difference and enjoying the high (10% UD) and low range t case gears combined with 4.56s in diffs while running the 37s.

Smitty

You are correct on the 5.0. I just ordered 4.56s from @cruiseroutfit now that I have 37s. I look forward to seeing the difference and enjoying the high (10% UD) and low range t case gears combined with 4.56s in diffs while running the 37s.

Smitty

I’d be interested in seeing the MPG difference +\-

I’d be interested in seeing the MPG difference +\-
Well, you are in luck as I track my MPGs :cool:

After going to 37s, I am averaging around 11 mpg again (about the same as before with 315s and stock gears). Hopefully the 4.56s will get me above 12 mpg again.

Last edited:
After a long and winding road full of bumps and twists and turns, I finally have my freshly rebuilt transfer case installed in my LX450, and I had the chance to try out the new Sumo low range gears from Cruiser Outfitters at the CLCC Fall Crawl this past weekend.
On road in high range there is no additional noise. There is a slight gear whine in low range when you put your foot into it and the transmission upshifts, but who really cares?
Steep descents off road are much more controlled and require almost no brake pedal input. Climbing rocks requires less throttle input and has much less "overshoot" when cresting.
All said and done, I should have done this years ago.

Shout outs to @OGBeno, Georg Esterer@CrusierBrothers, and Kurt @CruiserOutfitters for making it all happen.

Last edited:
After a long and winding road full of bumps and twists and turns, I finally have my freshly rebuilt transfer case installed in my LX450, and I had the chance to try out the new Sumo low range gears from Cruiser Outfitters at the CLCC Fall Crawl this past weekend.
On road in high range there is no additional noise. There is a slight gear whine in low range when you put your foot into it and the transmission upshifts, but who really cares?
Steep descents off road are much more controlled and require almost no brake pedal input. Climbing rocks requires less throttle input and has much less "overshoot" when cresting.
All said and done, I should have done this years ago.

Shout outs to @OGBeno, Georg Esterter @CrusierBrothers, and Kurt @CruiserOutfitters for making it all happen.
Encouraging, definitely on my list! Glad to hear high range gear whine is non existent as that seems to be a concern for many, and agree completely about whine in low-range being a non-issue.

Encouraging, definitely on my list! Glad to hear high range gear whine is non existent as that seems to be a concern for many, and agree completely about whine in low-range being a non-issue.
Please keep in mind that I did not change the high range gear set. Only the low range set was changed along with a full rebuild. My diffs were changed to 4.88 soon after I purchased the truck, so there was no need.

Low range w/ 5.29's are great! Added w/ a LS and a lower 1st gear range than the stock Toyota trans. I'm happy.
I do wish it could be lower from time to time. Miss the dual ultimate case set up of my old mini truck

Low range w/ 5.29's are great! Added w/ a LS and a lower 1st gear range than the stock Toyota trans. I'm happy.
I do wish it could be lower from time to time. Miss the dual ultimate case set up of my old mini truck
Yea, one of the guys I wheel with has a 60 with 4.56 gears, a 5 speed, and dual cases (Toybox). It's not really a fair comparison when he's 235:1. Still, the 80 Series does pretty well with the auto box. I'm not ready to give up on that just yet.

Yea, one of the guys I wheel with has a 60 with 4.56 gears, a 5 speed, and dual cases (Toybox). It's not really a fair comparison when he's 235:1. Still, the 80 Series does pretty well with the auto box. I'm not ready to give up on that just yet.
H151 is always tempting, but I just like auto so much better off road.

With 4.88’s and the low range transfer gear I can descend the Telluride side of Imogene without brakes. Crawling obstacles is more controlled and lessens the need to torque brake. With 315’s it’s a great all around setup.

not sure if this is the best thread to ask my question but here goes. this answer was easy until i discovered the UD/OD high range gears

currently on 285's with open 4.10 diffs
i intend to put in eaton lockers front and rear and ideally 3:1 low range gears. but while i'm in there, should i regear the diffs to 4.88? i'm also considering bumping up to 315 tires to gain some ground clearance.

should i give up on the traditional diff approach and only do lockers and OD the t-case high range instead to bring the highway revs back to near stock?

i've looked at the chart, and all the combos, and my brain hurts. as i'm mid-atlantic based, my uses aren't heavy rock crawling or big mountain climbs....more of a overlander. i do travel at freeway speeds a considerable amount in order to get to the mountains or beach....and bucket list goal is to do cruise moab. diff lockers are a higher priority than low-range gears.

re-gearing both the diffs AND t-case is the most expensive route, but to gain better low range gears AND bring the highway powerband back to where it should be i don't see a way around 3:1 tcase gears and 4.88 diff gears. anyone with similar goals as me have a proven recipe or advice?

If you're installing lockers, then that's the time to regear as the labor is already covered. You're just paying for parts. Also a good time to rebuild all 4 corners.
4.88 and 35s are what I've been running for years.

I think you see all the options out there. I did the tcase hi/lo gears only, but my 80 was already locked. I think if you’re needing to get into the diffs anyway, just regear the diffs. You can always go back and do the transfer case another day for the low range.

FWIW I found traction was not really an issue in Moab (typical trails) so don’t think you need lockers to have fun out west. We rock SFA rigs for a reason.

If you're installing lockers, then that's the time to regear as the labor is already covered. You're just paying for parts. Also a good time to rebuild all 4 corners.
4.88 and 35s are what I've been running for years.
right. that's my logic too. but thought about soliciting some thoughts on the UD gears for folks like me starting w/ a clean slate (unlocked 4.10s).

I think you see all the options out there. I did the tcase hi/lo gears only, but my 80 was already locked. I think if you’re needing to get into the diffs anyway, just regear the diffs. You can always go back and do the transfer case another day for the low range.

FWIW I found traction was not really an issue in Moab (typical trails) so don’t think you need lockers to have fun out west. We rock SFA rigs for a reason.
good point about moab. but i do see enough mud, snow, and ice around these parts that i've wanted locked diffs for. plus, to be able to say "triple locked".....priceless?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom