just bought a 96 80.... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

maybe, I should have one on standby and then not worry about it.

yesterday I re-sealed and re-braked the DS Rear axle, and ordered the controversial PT kit from Cruiser Outfitters. Where I am, you need 4 wd about never, unless you go offroad and are intentionally looking for trouble. however, every vehicle I own is 4wd, except a 78 corvette. when you need it, there is no substitute. I prefer the lighter touch at the steering wheel, and if I can get out to Utah with this thing, I can save a few million revolutions each way on the front axle. I actually think that may be my last big purchase unless the head doesn't check out. next week, I am off to Sanibel Island. When I get back, I will do the front axle, and woek up the energy to take the head off. thanks for the advice.

No lift, dump the "new" rims and mount that rubber on the "stock" rims.
I am taking your suggestion serious. I should have the tires swapped over this week.

today was very productive, I installed the main accessory idler pulley, installed the new power steering pump, installed the new transmission lines around the cooler and to radiator, blew out the power steering cooler and replaced the last of the lines on the return going to the cooler. Then I just dove into the deep end and started removing the intake, distributor, etc. in preparation for the head removal. There are numerous boobytraps, pitfalls, sharp edges, etc along the way. After I injured my thumb (pretty sure the nail will be jettisoned soon) I had to think the Japanese dude on Gilligan's Island built this thing. He is still fighting the war. there were various ports plugged and the pcv valve wouldn't come out, it was so brittle it just broke off and fell into the valve cover. found 30 more vac lines that need replacing, and also it looks like the intake is filthy. My expectation is that the pcv valve and egr are not working in harmony.
HELP, the fuel line from supply side of filter needs replacing. I broke the compression fitting loose and made a few turns, but then it locked up and the line wrench slipped. I doused it with mineral spirits and worked it back and forth, but it is not loosening up. is there a trick here?

unhooking the wiring harness and 1 bolt and the intake will be off.

I am pointing in first pic to the fuel line connection point to the hardline going back to the tank.
20220606_143729.jpg

20220606_103549.jpg
20220606_144007.jpg

what do you think? stock rims with Toyo 305/75/16 mT's.

i replaced fusible link today....fingers finally healing enough to squeeze again... got the wiring harness unhooked the rest of the way under firewall...went to unhook transmission and realized the grease layer is still there....like a mixtire of used diesel oil and peanut butter....spread evenly over everything underneath...frame, fuel tank, both driveline, rear axle, all hoses and electrical. I am getting my guys to drop tank tomorrow....and pressure the cavity. I just don't want to get that filthy. so, the plan is to go ahead and open tcase, dismiss the VC, and do the PT 4 WD conversion, and refill with new fluid.

Please verify, Tcase get Dextron III Trans fluid, right? or does it get 90 weight?

20220612_180430.jpg

went ahead and dropped the tank today. going to to ahead and put a new pump in and replace the lines on top of the tank. slowly been degreasing the underside. got enough room now to pull apart the t case and finish unhooking the transmission wiring harness so that I can pull the lower intake manifold, so I can pull the head....

no one told me that it was going to take this much work to bring an 80 LC back to life. the weather has been bumping on 100 with 100 % humidity. heat index over 110 some days. still plugging away at it when I can. once I get head off, I guess I will tackle front axles.

if the tank is out, I'd do the fuel lines to the engine too...
I am about to order them. only rubber I am reusing is the fill neck and overflow. surprisingly, they are in good shape. The parts budget is busted so badly on this, I am going for broke. There three vac controllers mounted to the bottom of the upper intake. Once I saw where they are, I said to myself, I am not going through this again....I am ordering them also....and replacing all of the rubber lines as well. When I was younger, old mechanics would say "don't throw parts at it...let me diagnose the problem and only fix what is broken." Over the course of a year, I would pay out in labor more than if I had just replaced all of the parts to begin with. And I learned the hard way that if one vac line or fuel/vapor hose is bad, they all are. So, now I just replace everything when I can access it and not worry about it. The easy to get to stuff, I am not so picky about, but the hard stuff....do it all before you rely on the vehicle. That is usually what will leave you stranded later on. It is just how it works.

went ahead and dropped the tank today. going to to ahead and put a new pump in and replace the lines on top of the tank. slowly been degreasing the underside. got enough room now to pull apart the t case and finish unhooking the transmission wiring harness so that I can pull the lower intake manifold, so I can pull the head....

no one told me that it was going to take this much work to bring an 80 LC back to life. the weather has been bumping on 100 with 100 % humidity. heat index over 110 some days. still plugging away at it when I can. once I get head off, I guess I will tackle front axles.
To do it right, it's a lot up front. You seem to be following that path. Once it's done it's done though. A lot of things on our trucks can be difficult to get to so as costly and a pain in the rear as it is, the "while I'm in there" is actually a good thing. I daily drove mine for several years after I got it, replacing things along the way here and there. It got annoying and felt like I was always having to do something. Enter partsouq, Wits-End, and other OEM online parts dealers. Doing the rear brakes? Rebuild the entire E-brake system. Second cat rusted out and rattling? Replace everything from the manifold back. Carpet is nasty and wanting to add stuff in the quarter panel? Pull the entire interior, dynamat (or equivalent), new carpet, etc... When it came time to finally do the lift, I slowly bought the lift, tires, winch, bumpers, etc so that I could spend a couple of weeks doing it all at one. Done. Then you're just doing regular maintenance vs big repairs. At the age our trucks are now, I think people need to think of it more as a restoration than just change the fluid and send it. Not directing that at you but just in general.

To do it right, it's a lot up front. You seem to be following that path. Once it's done it's done though. A lot of things on our trucks can be difficult to get to so as costly and a pain in the rear as it is, the "while I'm in there" is actually a good thing. I daily drove mine for several years after I got it, replacing things along the way here and there. It got annoying and felt like I was always having to do something. Enter partsouq, Wits-End, and other OEM online parts dealers. Doing the rear brakes? Rebuild the entire E-brake system. Second cat rusted out and rattling? Replace everything from the manifold back. Carpet is nasty and wanting to add stuff in the quarter panel? Pull the entire interior, dynamat (or equivalent), new carpet, etc... When it came time to finally do the lift, I slowly bought the lift, tires, winch, bumpers, etc so that I could spend a couple of weeks doing it all at one. Done. Then you're just doing regular maintenance vs big repairs. At the age our trucks are now, I think people need to think of it more as a restoration than just change the fluid and send it. Not directing that at you but just in general.
did you replace the rear main seal?

I have both driveshafts off and about to remove VC and change spool in t case, as well as unhook all trans wires so that I can get the intake off. I am 30% there (rear main seal) and I don't know if it's leaking or not. Oil was leaking from everywhere when I got it....and a drop seems to be forming at bottom of bellhousing even though it hasn't run in a month.

Didn’t replace the rear main yet. It’s only recently started to have a drip or two but it’s not enough to leave a spot on the driveway. Front seal and oil pump seal was a different story.

went ahead and started PT 4wd conversion. no big deal getting it apart. Monday, I will get bearing swapped over and then reassemble. having the fuel tank out is the way to do this.
I removed the VC, seems like it may have been overworked at some point. It is gone for good now. If I get time, I will re-seal front axles next week, install new birfs, and add the manual locking hubs. Then I will get back the head...

20220618_125536.jpg

what is the block that was hanging off the PS of the Tcase?
Presumably some sort of damper for noise/vibration reduction. Nobody knows exactly what problem Toyota was trying to fix, but you'll find plenty of questions about it on this forum. IIRC it's only on 95 (96?) and up transfer cases. The 93/94 exhaust routing interferes with it. I had to cut those mounting ears off a '97 transfer case to fit it into my '94.

Regarding the viscous coupler, I've handled two now (~255k '94 and ~170k '97) and both felt the same: very hard to turn by hand.

Put tcase back together today. It's now a PT 4 WD, just have to put the manual hubs on.....so, I kept going and jumped on the front axle. stripped down knuckles to the bare metal. Brake calipers hardly tight at all, wheel bearings loose as all get out, inner oil seals were basically gone. black grease all in axle, no red grease in wheel bearings. Basically, this old girl hasn't been treated right at all for a long time....and this is why you do this kind of maintenance when you first purchase a 26 year old vehicle if you want to make it reliable. Tomorrow, I will reassemble starting with the seals. Already knocked out all races and prepped everything. The nice part about it is that is was 103 degrees today. I am working my way to the head removal....I wanted to get all of the hard nasty work done down below first. .

I am learning alot about 80 series along the way.

well, finally, another 102 degree day, but my LC is now PT 4WD. I finished servicing the front axle today, new brakes, new rotors, new bearings. It was a lot of work, and it was hot doing it, but I am glad it is done!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom