What Did You Do with Your 80 This Weekend? (65 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Installed the @Mountain Hatch tailgate cover. "Install" is an overstatement. Completely tool-less 20 second event. Took longer to remove the OEM carpet trim piece. Impressively simple yet solid design and build quality. It's definitely slick, but I count that as a plus since I'm sliding gear in/out weekly, which was starting to tear up the OEM cover. It's not in bad shape, and I want to keep it that way. Conveniently, the box the Mountain Hatch came in is perfect for storing the OEM piece in the attic.

Before:
IMG_20220603_081528043 (1).jpg

After:

IMG_20220603_082729631 (1).jpg

Plus they are made about 60 miles down the freeway in Alvarado, TX...and the sticker looks great! ;)

IMG_20220603_083245225 (1).jpg

I went back/forth for months trying to decide if I wanted to do this (or some DIY alternative like @cruiserdan 's aluminum) or something like the Huracan Fab storage solution. As much as I dig the tailgate storage concept, I just couldn't bring myself to slice up my rig. I'll likely never be so packed full of gear that I'll wish I had that extra ~2-3 cubic feet.

Same thought process for snorkels. I love the look of a snorkel, and I do hope to take my rig out for some mild overlanding eventually. But I can't imagine ever needing to traverse water that's higher than the halfway point on my wheels. The LC's air intake is already pretty high, and I just can't bring myself to drill a 4" hole in my fender, lol.

That tailgate cover looks awesome, I didn’t even know that was a product.

But I can't imagine ever needing to traverse water that's higher than the halfway point on my wheels.

I would install a snorkel for driving in dusty conditions before I would install one for water crossings..... but I also live in an area that can be incredibly dusty.

Installed rear e-locker rebuilt by Over the Mountain Cruisers @Bama4door. Shouldn't be any trouble, just stab in the diff, shove in the axle shafts, fill with oil. I was at it about 6 hours today, not finished, but the hard stuff is done. I needed about 4-6 tries to get the diff plugged in. Pulling the long studs made the difference.

IMG_8092.jpg

IMG_20220611_160826_469.jpg

Installed the @Delta VS mouting plate to be used for in cabin air compressor switch relay.

20220611_105345.jpg
20220611_104547.jpg
20220605_135528.jpg

Made some brake line spacers for @Kabanstva these may help any one with bolt on sliders.

20220605_235530.jpg

Cheers, made a new coozy

Installed the @Mountain Hatch tailgate cover. "Install" is an overstatement. Completely tool-less 20 second event. Took longer to remove the OEM carpet trim piece. Impressively simple yet solid design and build quality. It's definitely slick, but I count that as a plus since I'm sliding gear in/out weekly, which was starting to tear up the OEM cover. It's not in bad shape, and I want to keep it that way. Conveniently, the box the Mountain Hatch came in is perfect for storing the OEM piece in the attic.
This looks really good. You say it is slick? I can see that being good for sliding things but what about dogs jumping in and out? What kind of material is it made out of?

This looks really good. You say it is slick? I can see that being good for sliding things but what about dogs jumping in and out? What kind of material is it made out of?
FDA approved food-grade plastic. 1/2" thick. Basically a big cutting board. No doggos here, but yeah, I could see them slipping.

Enjoyed a wonderful weekend in the PNW. It's a special treat when I take the 80 up rather than fly Alaska.

My family complimented the ride quality which is neat for something this old running MT 37s. Certainly a lot of work went into it; a real tribute to the bad arseness of the 80 series which I consider to be the alpha dog LC, but as if they care. I'm just the looney tunes mtn truck lover that hates gas who's simply glad he got them there and back safely. Blessed and thankful!

Had a nice rattle near the cats on cold starts due to new exhaust parts going through various temps. My rig ain't used to Seattle weather. Turned out to be a loose bolt I snugged back up. Also bumped up cold tire psi from my usual LA 32 to a Seattle 32.

IMG_1181.jpeg

A river runs through it - fresh air and the sound of constant river roar got me some good Zzzzs. Preferred over LAPD sirens.

48A37159-3446-4CE2-9803-7BFDC6F482E9.jpg

I-90 floating bridge heading toward Seattle from Mercer Island

IMG_1163.jpeg

To get high on the best shot of espresso in North America --> Vivace Sidewalk Bar on Cap Hill. A daily routine.

IMG_1165.jpeg

Fuel for a run around tranquil Greenlake (much appreciated over LA hustle)

IMG_1164.jpeg

Big ups to the various LC owners that made my interloper 80 with the CA plates feel welcome! Trust that it also returned home just like its current owner as it was first sold off the boat from Japan in Seattle.

Last edited:
Replaced Rear U-joints, removed Viscous Coupler and put in Speedo gear to match my 33" tires. Found the o-ring on the speedo gear shaft was leaking so glad I had a replacement for that.

Enjoyed a wonderful weekend in the PNW. It's a special treat when I take the 80 up rather than fly Alaska.

My family complimented the ride quality which is neat for something this old running MT 37s. Certainly a lot of work went into it; a real tribute to the bad arseness of the 80 series which I consider to be the alpha dog LC, but as if they care. I'm just the looney tunes mtn truck lover that hates gas who's simply glad he got them there and back safely. Blessed and thankful!

Had a nice rattle near the cats on cold starts due to new exhaust parts going through various temps. My rig ain't used to Seattle weather. Turned out to be a loose bolt I snugged back up. Also bumped up cold tire psi from my usual LA 32 to a Seattle 32.

View attachment 3032469

A river runs through it - fresh air and the sound of constant river roar got me some good Zzzzs. Preferred over LAPD sirens.

View attachment 3032467

I-90 floating bridge heading toward Seattle from Mercer Island

View attachment 3032471

To get high on the best shot of espresso in North America --> Vivace Sidewalk Bar on Cap Hill. A daily routine.

View attachment 3032470

Fuel for a run around tranquil Greenlake (much appreciated over LA hustle)

View attachment 3032477

Big ups to the various LC owners that made my interloper 80 with the CA plates feel welcome! Trust that it also returned home just like its current owner as it was first sold off the boat from Japan in Seattle.

I've been driving my buddies 2012 f150 while mines in the shop. My daughter mentioned the LC rides better.

Replaced Rear U-joints, removed Viscous Coupler and put in Speedo gear to match my 33" tires. Found the o-ring on the speedo gear shaft was leaking so glad I had a replacement for that.
What speedo gear change did you make? I need to do this instead of trying to do the Yellowbox thing.

I took out the 32 tooth gear and put in a 31 tooth gear 3340369225 for 33 inch tires. They have a few options from Toyota and they where 18 dollars from partsouq when i ordered. There is a thread around here that has the part numbers for the various sizes. Very easy job. You might replace 3340422010 also while you are in there just to be replacing the internal seal too. The speedo gear comes with replacement oring

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom