1996 Land Cruiser EV Conversion - EVJ80 Project (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

dang, that is pretty neat

Does it make a whirring noise? or was that something in the video?
Yeah it has an electric power steering pump and electric brake vacuum pump and a pump for the Blackbox that make it sound like that. The motor itself also makes a cool whirring noise but it's harder to hear and only on accel or regen.
I think you're showing us the future of off-reading.

What are the logistics like? Are you recharging at a public charger in town? How far have you ventured on the trails? I've never been to Moab, so I have no idea about relative distances.
Moab is like the perfect town for a truck like this. If I could get 100 miles range and do 55 MPH it would be ideal. You can hit all the trails and come back to town and only drive 50-60 miles. There are a bunch of EV chargers in Moab also. I was able to use mostly free public charging to keep it topped up for my whole trip. Actually getting to Moab you still need an ICE truck to tow it there.
Do you have a rough idea on the range per charge?
I would say 60 miles in city driving and 30 miles offroad driving. I was expecting better mileage offroad but it's just a lot tougher than I gave it credit for. There are a few things I could do to improve range like running the pumps only when needed especially the power steering. Also changing my driving technique might have helped, I was stopping and starting a lot just to film. Also if I turned off the key when waiting for guy ahead to clear etc.

This concept might be of interest to those following this thread, a $27k+ modular electric chassis/platform:

You'd want a hell of a skid plate under it though!

I never really posted an update after Moab. It's been over a month already. I guess I'll provide a rundown of how the EV80 performed.

I showed up to CM with my wife, Jasmin, and the 80 in tow behind my 100 and we set up camp. I did the night run and Gold Bar Rim in my 100. I only planned on doing one run in my EV80 but in hindsight I should have done more. On Friday I did Wipe Out Hill which was the Gamiviti sponsored run so of course the Gamiviti EV80 had to run it. It was the perfect maiden voyage for the truck with a good mix of challenging obstacles and also easy going trail and sandy roads. The truck really performed awesome, I was really impressed.

The Good:
-Suspension, brakes, steering were all excellent. I was not wanting for more steering power which was a pleasant surprise.
-The truck climbed everything, no shortage of torque in Lo-Lo. It can start from a stop on steep incline with no problem at all.
-Nothing broke!
-Nothing got hot. Blackbox doubler got warm but could still hold a hand on it. Motor and inverter were practically ambient.

The Bad:
-Offroad range was less than anticipated, only about 30 miles. Might be different on a hard packed CO trail vs. UT sand.
-CDL was not engaging. My last minute jerry rigged wiring didn't work. As a result I had a lot of wheelspin on the front axle but was still able to climb up most obstacles on the first try. Front weight bias probably helped.
-Battery mounts (old 1FZ motor mounts) cracked and came apart. I think this is the only damage.
The Chademo fast-charger plug didn't fit through my grill :( First time I tried to test it was in Moab.

I ended up driving around the town of Moab in the EV80 at least once per day and probably put 70-80 miles on it. On Monday I did Baby Lions Back a couple times because I've never done it. Honestly, it was a good test and gave me confidence in the ability to start from a stop on a very steep incline with high stakes. It is a really good match to Moab and I was able to charge at public charge stations and go walk to lunch or the car show or whatever and the whole week in Moab I spend less than $5 on charging at the hotel! All other charging was free. If my truck had more striking range it would be such a perfect fit for Moab or other 4x4 towns like it. I definitely think this concept has tons of potential. I can't wait to expand this truck's capabilities. I've already got some big things planned.

Here are some more photos of the EV80 including some really great shots at Wipe Out Hill by Wanderin' the West – "It is only in adventure that some people succeed in knowing themselves – In finding themselves". Andre Gides. - https://www.wanderinthewest.org/

Q4l5Rdz.jpg

DxlNCMr.jpg

JpxUepb.jpg

fOOOLhD.jpg

1UzE7CW.jpg

80Bt8dD.jpg

Ez9rebd.jpg

Pretty cool!!

Maybe I missed it in the previous posts, but how easy is it to increase the range?

30-60 is great for day to day stuff, but it would be great to avoid the ICE to get where I'm going on longer trips...

Nice mod!!!

I was not wanting for more steering power which was a pleasant surprise.
Can you compare to stock steering? This is good to hear and I went hydroboost brakes(now amazing) and it's not helping the steering. This may be an option for steering and something I was actually looking at already.
-Offroad range was less than anticipated, only about 30 miles. Might be different on a hard packed CO trail vs. UT sand.
Disappointing to hear but given what the system was originally designed for seem realistic. Makes me think not ready for a road vehicle and better as a heavily modified(lightened) trailer queen or stick to a UTV which is already a pain to haul but 1000's of lbs lighter. Only a matter of time they come out with EV UTV.
Either way, good job!

Pretty cool!!

Maybe I missed it in the previous posts, but how easy is it to increase the range?

30-60 is great for day to day stuff, but it would be great to avoid the ICE to get where I'm going on longer trips...

Nice mod!!!
Increasing range is just a matter of adding batteries. So pretty easy. The catch is that the specific way I built this vehicle adding more batteries is possible but not seamless. I plan on adding another 30kwh in the gas tank area ASAP but it's $$$. Batteries are by far the most expensive part of the whole deal.

I only have 30kwh on board, in a Leaf that takes you 110-120 miles. So getting 1/4-1/2 of that in a full size SUV is pretty good actually. A Tesla has 70-100kwh. It's just a matter of more batteries more range. Luckily since my weight is still close to stock I have most of the 1600lbs payload capacity to use for batteries before exceeding the GVWR.

Can you compare to stock steering? This is good to hear and I went hydroboost brakes(now amazing) and it's not helping the steering. This may be an option for steering and something I was actually looking at already.

Disappointing to hear but given what the system was originally designed for seem realistic. Makes me think not ready for a road vehicle and better as a heavily modified(lightened) trailer queen or stick to a UTV which is already a pain to haul but 1000's of lbs lighter. Only a matter of time they come out with EV UTV.
Either way, good job!
Steering felt like stock, actually. I was expecting it to be problematic somehow but at the end of the trail I realized there was never an issue with the steering it just worked.

Actually I think UTVs will be tougher conversions. I've been following a couple on diyelectriccar.com and they are quickly running into issues fitting enough batteries.

Land Cruiser has large payload capacity and huge boat anchor engine.

UTVs have a small payload capacity and a tiny, super lightweight power train.

I really am interested in converting a UTV asap. If only to make them quiet 😆

I only have 30kwh on board, in a Leaf that takes you 110-120 miles. So getting 1/4-1/2 of that in a full size SUV is pretty good actually.

Dude, if it only went five feet it would still be an impressive accomplishment. Can't wait to see how much you can improve it.

In another decade, I imagine we'll have wrecked electric F-150s to source parts from. Or the 9,000 pound Hummer with a ~2900 pound battery pack! With a three second 0-60 and underwhelming brakes, there's bound to be a bunch of them totalled!

yes most!

Reminder of the EV car show this Saturday the 13th!

At Red Rocks Amphitheater 10am to 4pm

I will be showing off my EV80 and 1982 UM Electrek but there will also be some other EV conversions from some of the biggest names in the business right now. Should be epic!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom