What Did You Do with Your 80 This Weekend? (84 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

In Colorado, our grid was until very recently mostly coal powered, although that is changing. I know a guy who ran around in a Chevy Volt with a big sticker on the back that said "POWERED BY COAL" I've personally had 2 electric vehicles and they're great at what they do, but they certainly don't do everything. If everyone got one, they'd probably need to mandate solar on every roof and batteries in every home to keep up with the demand.

If it was practical in my situation I'd dd one.

Seats are in great shape on my 80 and I intend to keep them that way - Escape Gear seat covers are now on and look fantastic.

View attachment 3029299View attachment 3029300
Those are gorgeous! I almost pulled the trigger on them when I first got my 80, but were a little rich for my blood. Also at the time there was no US distribution, so they were shipping from South Africa for $150 on top of the $600 price tag. Ended up doing CoverKing ballistic nylon, and so far so good. But I drool over the Equipt Escape Gear every time I see them.

It’s kinda funny that we are all having a little laugh at these numbers… as we continue to grind down the road in our 80’s. I know a bunch of us don’t DD the 80 but some of us do.
Not a laughing matter, but when the choice is laugh or cry -- or get rid of your 80 -- I guess I'll go with laugh. Mine is an Aus import with the sub tank, so total capacity of ~38 gallons (145 liters). I usually spring for mid grade, which is about $4.90/gallon now in my neck of the woods. That's $186 for both tanks full. Yikes.

My company recently started surveying employees about "returning to the office" in a "hybrid" (3 days/week) capacity. But of course they fail to come up with any compelling reason to do so other than "it's the way we used to be." I'm 25 miles from my office, my 80 is my daily, and the only viable route that won't take forever is all tollway. It's $12 in tolls round trip, so with gas every day I go in to the office is $32. Screw that! I'm pushing hard to continue to be WFH.

Sure, it's my choice to own and DD an 80, and what I drive is not my employer's problem. But I'll continue to advocate for WFH vs. driving to an office for no reason other than to justify a property lease payment. Neither my boss nor any of my 6 direct reports are even in the same State as me, soooo.....

Not a laughing matter, but when the choice is laugh or cry -- or get rid of your 80 -- I guess I'll go with laugh. Mine is an Aus import with the sub tank, so total capacity of ~38 gallons (145 liters). I usually spring for mid grade, which is about $4.90/gallon now in my neck of the woods. That's $186 for both tanks full. Yikes.

My company recently started surveying employees about "returning to the office" in a "hybrid" (3 days/week) capacity. But of course they fail to come up with any compelling reason to do so other than "it's the way we used to be." I'm 25 miles from my office, my 80 is my daily, and the only viable route that won't take forever is all tollway. It's $12 in tolls round trip, so with gas every day I go in to the office is $32. Screw that! I'm pushing hard to continue to be WFH.

Sure, it's my choice to own and DD an 80, and what I drive is not my employer's problem. But I'll continue to advocate for WFH vs. driving to an office for no reason other than to justify a property lease payment. Neither my boss nor any of my 6 direct reports are even in the same State as me, soooo.....
We just got mandated to go back into the office. Sucks, my entire org is software engineering and we have actually been more productive over the past two years WFH. And of course we found out about this through the media and not from our own leadership.

I have no problem going into the office. But if we are delivering and we are accessible, who cares where on earth we are?

/rant

Somewhere deep in the Cascade Mtns…

My 80 ain’t used to this amount of weight 😂 sagging on medium springs.

5C2D6904-BF1F-4894-8CF6-7D4ACBE4FA1B.jpeg

Gotta say that PNW LC owners are friendlier than in LA at least in my experience thus far. Exchanged waves with a 200 dude in Greenlake; pleasantries with a lifted 100 at the grocery store --> all love!

Last edited:
Nobody seems to take into account the draw on the power grid if we all start driving electric vehicles. Especially in places like California.

Cheers

There is also a bigger demand for them now and prices have been going up too.

Somewhere deep in the Cascade Mtns…

Watch out for Samsquanch, right now is the peak of their mating season......

Everyone's fuel bills have doubled. It sucks. But if there's one thing I've noticed, no matter what year it is, no matter the price, everyone always complains about the cost of fuel endlessly, and will continue to do so until it is no longer available to regular personal consumers. I remember people lining up with jerry cans in the 90s while raging because prices were going all the way up to $0.50/L.

Fun fact: I filled up the truck with $150 worth of diesel the other day. Dude I know with an Audi E-Tron pays $4 to get 300km worth of electrons put in his battery. But he also plugs it in at work, so most of the time doesn't pay s*** for it. It's the future like or or not and fighting against it makes one an old man yelling at clouds.

I figure within a decade there will be some cool kits out there that will allow me to mount a 300-400hp electric motor on each axle, or even a motor at each wheel if one wants to get really fun (imagine being able to do a skid steer turn on a trail), to keep old vehicles going.

In the meantime, driving a 30 year old 6,000lb brick wall around on 35 inch tires is in no way practical and needs to be regarded like the luxury item it really is.
Battery driven vehicles are not light-weight and I have yet to see one I would trust driving deep into rough back country trails. I will continue to drive my 80 series to such destinations but do so much less frequently. Eventually fuel prices will come back down to a reasonable level. I do business with the oil and gas industry and it is the most cyclical industry of which I am aware! High prices and inflation drive recessions....which drive down demand and prices. I would expect to see it happen.

Finally got my MOLLE panels mounted up. Used the second and third row seatbelt bolts and the grab handle bolts for three points of contact and it is solid. Bolted the 6x9 speaker enclosures on there to replace those pathetic 2 inch rear speakers.

82C428D6-7A25-4692-8AF2-A6DCEC6C02CE.jpeg

1A9AEA2E-739E-4B51-BB27-70F66223312A.jpeg

1AF8022D-2619-4A76-92B8-68AE3810596B.jpeg

Did a few "little" things to the rig this past week.
I plan to stay stock with rear bumper, but it needs a refresh. Found a used aluminum step plate on eBay that's in much better shape than mine. Applied some aluminum polish, and it really shined up well. I also learned the hard way that you have to pretty much tear apart the entire bumper just to get that step off. I must say very impressed with the stoutness of the stock bumper.
Old:
IMG_20220515_144953870~2.jpg

New:
IMG_20220515_144911153.jpg

IMG_20220515_161555930.jpg

Next step is to replace the end caps. Found the LH on eBay, but the RH is proving harder to find. Had two Amayama orders cancelled, and Partsouq has nothing.

I replaced the "D" light bulb. While I was in there I removed the ABS light since I deleted the ABS some time back. Also, while I was in there I replaced all 10 bulbs.

View attachment 3031297View attachment 3031298

After replacing the bulbs in put the gauge cluster back in and did confirm that all the lights work. But I will never do the job again in the Arizona heat, 10:30 local time and 100 degrees.

I replaced the "D" light bulb. While I was in there I removed the ABS light since I deleted the ABS some time back. Also, while I was in there I replaced all 10 bulbs.

View attachment 3031297View attachment 3031298
Smart! Where did you get the bulbs? I had mine out and planned to put the abs in place of the d but it was different. I robbed park or neutral I think. Should of just replaced them all. Smh
Feels good that it works though!
Also do you have any that seem dim. It feels like it’s darker in spots now. But I didn’t really notice it till after of course.

Smart! Where did you get the bulbs? I had mine out and planned to put the abs in place of the d but it was different. I robbed park or neutral I think. Should of just replaced them all. Smh
Feels good that it works though!
Also do you have any that seem dim. It feels like it’s darker in spots now. But I didn’t really notice it till after of course.

I actually got them from Toyota. Nice getting industry discounts, cost.

Got in the LX to test out another suppressor host. Staccato P DPO. 300 rounds through 3 different silencers all flawless. Gun is an excellent host. Just waiting for the red dot to show up to test for accuracy.View attachment 3031352

Man you must like your suppressors. I keep wanting to buy one but I know nothing about them.

Are suppressors cartridge specific, caliber specific or universal?

As an example I have a browning x-bolt 300 win mag and a ruger gunsite scout .308. Could I get one suppressor that would work with both of these rifles?

If so any recommendations on a suppressor that would be good for both guns?

Also how much does a suppressor weigh on average for a centerfire rifle like .308 or 300 win mag?

If I guy had 2 .308's with different threads could one suppressor be fitted with adaptors to both rifles?

Man you must like your suppressors. I keep wanting to buy one but I know nothing about them.

As an example I have a browning x-bolt 300 win mag and a ruger gunsite scout .308. Could I get one suppressor that would work with both of these rifles?

Also how much does a suppressor weigh on average for a centerfire rifle like .308 or 300 win mag?

If I guy had 2 .308's with different threads could one suppressor be fitted with adaptors to both rifles?

They can be caliber specific, but silencerco make a suppressor called the hybrid 46. It allows you to shoot anything out of it up to a 460.

If you were to with a suppressor for 30 caliber you will be fine.

Silencerco Hybrid 46, you will need to change out the end caps for the smaller calibers but one suppressor for everything.

Weight can very depending on the material and length, it will also change your point of impact as well.

30 caliber is generally 5/8-24 thread pitch, if you get a suppressor that threads directly on, no need for adapters. Some suppressors do use flash hiders/brakes but that is up to you. If you do not care and aren't using the suppressor a thread protector with be fine.

Silencerco Hybrid 46

And best part about Silencerco they are based in Utah.

Last edited:
Kind of in the middle of certifying another suppressor right now🤣. I’d take a look at a Dead Air Nomad titanium or steel if you don’t mind the weight. For a bench rifle that you won’t be hiking with look at the Nomad L or titanium.

Find a local dealer through SilencerShop.com that has a kiosk that will take your photo and fingerprints. Once you have an account set it really is easy to buy a can. Now that eforms are working wait times are around 3-4 months instead of 10-12 months.

Yankee hill machine is another company you might want to check out. They make affordable center fire cans. I own a few of their rimfire and 9mm cans which can also be used on centerfire rifle depending on barrel length.

Last edited:

Is this from your larger brake upgrade?

If so, is your caliper not centered on the rotor and it's placing offset pressure on the rotor causing it to push to one side?

Since they are drilled and slotted, are you sure you didn't get a rock stuck in a hole that hit a brake pad and broke the rotor? It looks like it broke under a severe rotational stress because the fracture on the casting looks to be very directional and has (3) "lobes" where it pulled apart.

The drilled rotors have been ridiculed because of debris getting in the holes during use in the mud, rocks, and dirt.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom